MADE IN CANADA, Eh? Canadian bicycles - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    There was Julian Edwins, a framebuilder from Owen Sound, Ont around 1990'ish. He built and painted frames in his basement. I went to visit him in the early 90's when I wanted a new frame. I didn't place an order.

There was also Tony Beek of Toronto. Tony was the painter at Mariposa bikes before Noel Rosen (Velocolour frame painting fame) and he wanted to go out on his own to build frames. When I was looking for a framebuilder he was still making his frame jigs and wasn't in production. I never did see a finished product so I don't know if he got off the ground or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Funny reading this and having it bring back names that I haven't thought of in donkey's years.

No question, many of the names mentioned here, although they may be Canadian companies do not make the bikes in Canada. Rocky Mountain was mentioned, their steel frames are still made in the Vancouver frame shop that once housed the likes of Joe Murray, Derek Bailey, Paul Brodie and Chris deKerf.

Brodie is still in business by the way. Brodie bikes is based in Vancouver and Paul himself teaches framebuilding courses at the University of the Fraser Valley.

Chris of course, we all know is still in business, does a lot of custom work but also does small production run work for boutique bikes - such as Chromag. ( I still have, and ride my Generation hard tail. I still haven't got Chris to build me one of his Tuning Forks, maybe this year)

Their was a guy outside of Calgary, whose name I can't remember ( began with an "A" I think) and did just steel. I don't think he is still at it.

Dion Bikes is or was in Coquitlam, BC - just aluminium. Primarily TT and Tri bikes.

Peyto was in Vancouver until he went back to finish his Masters. Steel HT MTBs. And very nice.

Knolly is based in Vancouver as is Cove Bikes. Both are MTB brands.

Everti is based in Victoria, Russian and Chinese Ti frames.

God I forgot all about Ken Legge, Used to ride with him back in the '80's when I was in Vancouver. I will have to apologize.

I will think of more.

Geez - I forgot three more ...

Runout in Calgary, Cycles Golem in Beauport, PQ and Steelwool in TO.

How could I forget Steelwool???
    Last edited by wabasso; 04-11-2013 at 04:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Actually Mark Beaver at Tamarack (Halifax, see my post above) did get his 753 certification. The second frame he built for me in '93 was mostly Reynolds 731OS a tubeset which includes 753 seatstays and chainstays. He customized that a bit more with a Tange Ultimate Ultralight MTB top tube for the downtube, and something else for the top tube. I had some Trek OCLV forks salvaged from somebody's wreck on the front end. That was a nice ride, fairly light, although there are lighter, about 2.45 kg frame/fork for 57.5 cm C-C. Maybe slap some parts back on it next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aa.mclaren View Post
    Another Toronto outfit that sent out a lot of flyers in the mail back in the 90s was called "Thin Blue Line" and they marketed bikes with that name. Pretty affordable, seemed like good value though. They also sold Cervelo frames back in the early days of White and Vrooman's product line.
    This was/is Silent Sports. I have a Thin Blue Line Hurricane F/S mountain bike from around 2000. When I bought it, I was told straight up that it was a sample frame from their Asian supplier. It was painted locally by Karl's Custom Paint. I'm pretty certain they didn't build any frames in Canada. But they did offer some pretty good value bikes with well thought out builds.

I remember a rider in my club had a steel Jester frame around the same time. I think those were made near St. Catharines.

[email protected] [email protected]@rd
    Apr 2010
    My Leggero...

Attachment 279295

I also have a nice RMB Turbo Signature frame hanging up...I should build it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Toronto-20120425-00111 small.jpg
    I still have my 1992 Marinoni Special custom made for me by Marinoni in Montreal when I lived in Ottawa. My daughter is now riding it while I now have a BMC. I still love taking it our for a "cafe spin" on a casual day. Beautiful lug work on the Columbus SL fame and forks. Marinoni wanted to build it up all Campy, but I was eager to get the brand new Shimano 600 Ultegra STI ( first generation brifters).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Cycles Bertrand from Hull or Gatineau (I think) was featured in Bicycle Guide.
    BG actually asked if it could be the best North American made frame!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some one can correct me if I am wrong but there was a small builder in Ottawa who built Giro frames about 25 years ago. I forget his name but he built a nice frame.

Daniel007
    Keep in mind that all Marinoni bikes are pieces of art......mind you I'm a bit bias here...............lolll

Beautiful ride you have there guys.......
    Dan,
    Un coup de pédale
    à la fois .........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Runout Industries in Canmore, AB.

Custom steel, stainless steel, and Ti. All TIG. I have had one of his frames on display in our shop.

I build frames but do not sell them per se, my shop keeps me too busy to do that over the Spring and Summer (so far).
    Dan Richter
    Owner
    Cafe Roubaix Bicycle Studio
    Cochrane, AB

http://www.caferoubaix.ca

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for telling about me!
    Quote Originally Posted by wabasso View Post

Geez - I forgot three more ...

Runout in Calgary, Cycles Golem in Beauport, PQ and Steelwool in TO.

How could I forget Steelwool???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    There is a LBS in Ottawa that has a house brand of steel bikes:

Steel Wool Bikes | Tall Tree Cycles & Steelwool Bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone heard of Brooks bikes? Has a maple leaf on the front
    High-end Campy Road Bike - $420

Desmarais is another....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redadair97 View Post
    Anyone heard of Brooks bikes? Has a maple leaf on the front
    High-end Campy Road Bike - $420

Desmarais is another....
    Brooks is a common English name, so I don't know if the maker here is the same one. Would take a bit more research, but see this Classic Lightweights UK
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Brooks is a common English name, so I don't know if the maker here is the same one. Would take a bit more research, but see this Classic Lightweights UK
    cool site thanks.....logo isn't the same but I know that doesn't mean much....I emailed the seller, we'll see if he know anything about it.....

chamois creme addict
    Back in the 90s in the early days of the MTB craze there was Jim Moulden of Moulden Bike Works in Edmonton. He also owned and operated the Hardcore Mountain Bike Store. He built mostly steel frames, did some pretty eclectic stuff back in the day. I remember he was a big fan of fillet-brazing. Never owned one, the worksmanship was sometimes a little lacking. I recall seeing bikes with the seatstays joining the seat tube asymmetrically (not by design), and a road frame delivered that did not have a cable stop on the chainstay (oops!).

There was also Proctor as mentioned earlier out of Edmonton, then those bikes became Proctor-Townsend I believe the guys were Greg Proctor and Bob Townsend. I forget the details, but I think Proctor did all of the actual building and Townsend was the guy who resurrected the company.
    Last edited by Eric_H; 10-29-2013 at 01:06 PM.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Just remembered to add another: Vitess, a custom builder in CF. Vitess translates into speed

They're expensive, though, their customers are pro cyclists, and of course business people and doctors, etc.
    Best broadly know unfortunately for this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Many Sekine Cycles (a Japanese company) were made in Manitoba for about 10 years - a brand that was around from the 1970's to perhaps the 1990's. They produced low end up to pretty decent high quality bikes.

Acquila has been mentioned. I am 99.99% sure that Racer Sportif on Bloor simply rebranded stock frames they obtained from various vendors, be they Ti or CF frames.

Gardin has been mentioned. Some suggest they were "high end" frames. They charged premium prices for custom frames, but the frames were in my opinion very poorly and crudely made. The alignment of their frames was terrible, causing most of their bikes to dog trot down the road. I felt sorry for those who bought Gardin frames when for similar money you could get a very nicely built custom frames from Cyclops, Marinoni or one of several other locally or Canadian companies at the time.

Silent Sports only manufactured Thin Blue Line frames in Thornhill for a short time before I believe they transferred most of their production overseas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aquila has been mentioned. I am 99.99% sure that Racer Sportif on Bloor simply rebranded stock frames they obtained from various vendors, be they Ti or CF frames.
    I'm 100% sure.

I lived just down the road and was a regular during the period when I associated with them.

Their "branded" frames and wheels were sticker jobs.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I was at a bike shop that sold that brand, and they said that was how they made them.

I wonder if the alu frames are available, I would like to build an alu second bike. Kijiji and Pinkbike prices are stupidly high for used goods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Giro Bike Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
    Some one can correct me if I am wrong but there was a small builder in Ottawa who built Giro frames about 25 years ago. I forget his name but he built a nice frame.
    You are correct about Giro, Larry Routley is the name of the builder. Bruce Goett has a listing of Canadian builders with pictures of their work & welcomes more names.

Maple Leaf Bikes - Canadian Bike Builders - La Bicycletta

My bike is the one pictured.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Opus?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8toes View Post
    Opus?
    Brown's in Bloor West Village sold (sell?) these. Montreal outfit I believe, who appear to be importing fairly generic Chinese frames. NTTAWWT. They looked OK and good value.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8toes View Post
    Opus?
    I have an Opus. I love it. Well priced, well made.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Old enough to remember ..
    I just bought a Devinci MTB hardtail. They also make roadbikes DEVINCI.
    BTW my MTB does double duty e.g. on the roads around here that are too rough and/or too steep for my Nishiki "Comp" (1981) and my not so young body.
    There's one climb on the bucket list; 18 km of up hill with an elevation difference of 1100m. There's even same gentler grades in there to get a bit of a rest.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12