MADE IN CANADA, Eh? Canadian bicycles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    .je
    RoadBikeReview Member

Let's have a thread for some bikes current and vintage we know, that are Canadian.

This could be Miele, CCM, BRC, Steve Bauer, Argon, etc...

From my youth... Miele (I always wanted a Miele, then my best friend got one, a-hole)
    miele.jpg

I had a Talisman, which was pretty awesome for a 16 year old (mine was just like this one, but green and without the stupid seat, and stolen from my house):
    talisman.JPGtalisman2.jpg
    I really wanted a Bauer, but couldn't afford it on a 16-year-old's salary.

After that, I had a BRC mountain bike (black, could have been this model, also stolen from high school):
    brc2.JPG

I might have had a Supercycle, never had a CCM, but more recently lusted over an Argon (should have picked that up), or an Opus
    opus.jpg

I hear DeVinci are good... please post more, new and old too!!
    Last edited by .je; 12-30-2016 at 06:55 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My 1991 Miele is still being ridden around Toronto, now by my son.

Guess we should be seeing some Marinoni, and True North bikes here.

Nothing against Opus, in fact I think they're excellent value, but they are about as Canadian as Pinarello is Italian
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Daniel007
    Here are the one I know:

Marinoni..............made in Mascouche QC
    GURU..................made in Laval QC
    DeVinci................made in Saguenay QC
    Cervelo...............made in Toronto ON
    Raleigh...............made in Waterloo QC

Prettty sure i'm missing a few......
    Dan,
    Un coup de pédale
    à la fois .........

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember that the Raleigh factory in Montreal is ceasing production (well, assembly) of bikes, but don't you notice that almost all the brands from the past even 25 years are in Montreal? How did that happen?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Back in the early 90s I had a couple of custom frames built by Tamarack Cycles in Halifax. Still have one of them currently stripped down to frame/fork/hs but hoping to rebuild with modern parts someday.

Tamarack was always a small shop, started up by Mark Beaver and Makl Thomson in the late 80s. They had half of a little brick building down near the Halifax container pier. Mark carried on for a number of years, but now as a co-owner of Cyclesmith in Halifax, doesn't have any time for the framebuilding biz.

Roadbike Rider
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    — John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel007 View Post
    Here are the one I know:

Marinoni..............made in Mascouche QC
    GURU..................made in Laval QC
    DeVinci................made in Saguenay QC
    Cervelo...............made in Toronto ON
    Raleigh...............made in Waterloo QC

Prettty sure i'm missing a few......

There is an important difference between where a company says it's registered office is, and where it makes the bikes.

As an example, apart from an occassional test frame Cervelo never made anything in Toronto ( and by the way - Cervelo was sold to a dutch company two years ago).

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Canadian-based companies a lot, and was hoping for some fancy Cervelos and Argons, but was looking for something that used to be, or still is, made here. I guess we have to count Taiwan-made frames being assembled here as domestic product?

Whenever I go to Ottawa I see a lot of DeVincis and some Marinoni as well (also quite a lot of Motobecanes, since it's not far from the border). All the rent-a-bike places had DeVincis.

Were Steve Bauer bikes good bikes?

Re: MADE IN CANADA, Eh? Canadian bicycles

I have a 1999 Rocky Mountain Vertex. It makes me sad that Rockys aren't made in Canada now.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    The one I've kicked myself many times for not getting was a Lovell. Jocelyn was the perfect cyclist in his day and dominated Canadian cycling so much that one year he won all the gold medals at the national championships - from the sprint to the road race. He won silver at the world championships Kilo too. He built frames in Toronto for a while before being reduced to a quadriplegic when he was run over by a dump truck when out training. He sold his frame business to Mike Mulholland who re-named it Cyclops.

But the nicest Canadian frame I ever saw was this Marinoni. I've owned a few of them but nothing as nice as this one. When I saw this I asked them if they would build another one as they had gone Tig in recent years. Their reply was "No. It's Tig only". What a damn shame. After I found this pic on the 'net I saw its brother hanging up at out local indoor velodrome - exactly the same only a track frame. I didn't know who owned it (and neither did anyone else) or I would have paid the guy whatever he asked. Everything has its price.

marinoni-1.jpg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    These are made in Ontario True North Cycles
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    That Marinoni frame is simply gorgeous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Chris deKerf is still building frames in Richmond, BC. ( www.dekerf.com ) and Sam Whittingham is building on Quadra Island (www.timetogetnaked.com ). Also, Cunningham in New Westminster ( www.cunninghamcycles.com ), a ton of frame building experience in that group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Norco.

RoadBikeReview Member

What about Gardin and Cyclops.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Back when I was buying that Talisman, there were Gardin in the shop. Gardins were good bikes, iirc. (edit - just a little more expensive than that Talisman, just out of my $325 price range)

Louis Garneau seems to make some good bikes. I could outfit my self head to toe in helmet, jersey, shorts, leg warmers, arm warmers, shells, sunglasses, socks, shoes, and bike, all LG.
    Last edited by .je; 04-07-2013 at 04:48 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Joe Gardin's frames had mixed reviews, sometimes he used cast lugs marked "Guerciotti" if I recall. He must have got a job lot from Italy when he ordered his tube sets. I guess he did some high-end custom work, but a lot of the later production frames apparently weren't so great.

Aquila was another Toronto-based bike/framebuilder, whose products were not always well received. They did market Titanium frames though I'm not sure if they actually made them.

Cyclops made by Mark Mulholland as mentioned above, I think these were mostly custom builds, I never heard any complaints about cheap-and-nasty brazing like the other two.

Another Toronto outfit that sent out a lot of flyers in the mail back in the 90s was called "Thin Blue Line" and they marketed bikes with that name. Pretty affordable, seemed like good value though. They also sold Cervelo frames back in the early days of White and Vrooman's product line.

Also the distributor, Cycles Lambert, I seem to recall they had a frame branded under their name. Back in the 80s or so. But this may just be labelling.

Last but definitely not least were the Mariposa frames made by Mike Barry Sr (father of the recently retired pro racer, also Mike), now retired. Those were also made famous by the Canadian artist Greg Curnoe (1936-92), who rode with the London Centennial Wheelers bike club. Curnoe made paintings of the custom Mariposa bikes that he bought from Mr. Barry, these were quite well known in the 70s Canadian art scene. I remember one painting where he made annotations about where each part of his bike was made. Curnoe was killed when a car crashed into a group ride, the driver was diagnosed as having some mental disorder. That was a loss for Canadian cycling and Canadian art.

Can't think of any others not already mentioned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Caveat about Gardin frames, some of what I say could have been the opinion of my (ex) framebuilder friend Mr. Beaver (Tamarack) who like many in the business has an opinion about everything! But I did wrench for a few years myself (Trail Shop Halifax while they sold bikes, then briefly at Cyclesmith) and recall seeing some sketchy made-up-for cheap deals with low-end Gardin frames, and Shimano Exage or similar parts, along with unbranded bits that were just too cheap to sell. I think that's where I noticed that the BB shells were stamped "Guerciotti". The shop got two or three of them, possibly at the time Mr. Gardin was going out of business, maybe those were made by an assistant training on the job.

RoadBikeReview Member

I forgot about Eclipse bikes. I don't believe they are made in Canada, but the owner is based out of Ottawa. Nice looking bikes. I think it is Pecco's shop in Ottawa that owns the brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aquila was another Toronto-based bike/framebuilder, whose products were not always well received. They did market Titanium frames though I'm not sure if they actually made them.
    Aquila is not a framebuilder, and never has been to my knowledge.

It is the "Store brand" of Racer Sportiv. They import frames from Taiwan, China, Russia etc and put stickers on. Their Ti frames were Russian, I had one. It broke.

One.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    One of your posts prompted a search, which turned up this interesting page: Bicycles of Canada - Contents

RoadBikeReview Member

That website is owned by a guy in my home town. Been to his garage, unbelievable the stuff he finds.

Velo Sport was another Canadian brand.

Roadbike Rider

Cannondale and Schwinn

These are as Canadian as everything else made in Taiwan. These brands are owned by Dorel Industries of Montreal. They also own GT, Mongoose and Sugoi.

So, the iconic American symbol of cycling, Schwinn, and one of the most successful teams in pro cycling, thanks to Peter Sagan, are Canadian
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    — John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Brad Proctor in Edmonton was the only 753 certified builderI know of in Canada. He repaired my Gios in 81 or 82, made it better than new! Unfortunately I think his business went bust and he got bought out. He made frames under another name because he couldn't use his own.
    Ken Legge at Carlton in Vancouver, almost Burnaby made me a nice 531SL frame in 79, which I stupidly sold to get the Gios mentioned above.
    I'm putting a Dekerf Generation back together after a renovation by Dekerf himself. He's the Pegoretti of Canada, dude.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aa.mclaren View Post
    Mariposa frames........made famous by the Canadian artist Greg Curnoe (1936-92), who rode with the London Centennial Wheelers bike club. Curnoe made paintings of the custom Mariposa bikes that he bought from Mr. Barry, these were quite well known in the 70s Canadian art scene. I remember one painting where he made annotations about where each part of his bike was made. Curnoe was killed when a car crashed into a group ride.
    I rode with, raced against, knew well and was in the same club as Gregg for a while and drank a few beers in his studio after week-night club races. I have a print of that Mariposa bike (titled Mariposa TT) and my name, in a club race result, was in one of Gregg's paintings titled "For Martin" - the winner of that event, Martin Walsh, was also mowed down and killed, as Gregg was too, by a vehicle driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast