'10 CAAD9-1, 56cm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sep 2008

'10 CAAD9-1, 56cm.

My girlfriend's calling it 'le requin'. I like it. Built it Thursday night and fitted my parts, did 115km Friday morning, did 135km in the hills this(Saturday) morning. 250km down and so far very, very, happy. Its stiff as fk! I have the matching 7900 callipers on order and eventually when I get the spare cash I would like to get the Cannondale crank(With the SRM if I can really push the budget). No race wheels yet but I will be using some Edge 68 tubulars from the shop for an upcoming tour and at some stage I will I build my own, once again when the budget allows.

Uh that's it. Pics!

CHL
    Naso Unicornis
    Jack:

Your girlfriend, who must be fluent in French, has aptly name your new bike "The Shark." It looks killer and the graphics of the crankset go very well with BBQ. That 3T fork really gives it an agressive look.

Amazing that Cannondale has introduced its most advanced carbon fiber bike this year, yet all the talk has been about its bread and butter aluminum model. I think my CAAD4 wants a baby sister.

As always, safe, happy & FAST riding!

CHL

Sep 2008
    CHL,

Yes she is mate, its the first thing she said; "It looks like a shark!! Le Requin!".

I am very happy it rides as aggressive as it looks. I would love to have fronted for the SuperSix that the owner of my shop is riding('10 team edition) but;

I don't get paid enough,
    Its going to crack before it gets soggy/creaky like carbon.
    I am sure I will throw this down the road a few times this crit season(some sketchy courses and some Sketchier sprinters!) and I would rather take my chances in the kick for the line than worry about my bike and hold back.

I think the replacement frame cost is ~$900 which is a lot easier to wear than $3-4k for a super.

Thanks for the comment,
    Jack

Road & Trail Warrior
    That's a sweet badass bike bro.

superfly-2008
    HOT.... whats she weight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bet Jens V. looks at that saddle to bar drop and thinks "OUCH !".
    Great bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    That is one sweet ride . . .

Pardon my ignorance but is the CAAD9-1 frame in BBQ the same as the CAAD9-4 frame in BBQ? I am looking to get a CAAD9-4 in BBQ but have not seen that many user photos - if the frames are the same (color and graphic wise) than you have just convinced me that BBQ is the way to go.

Again - very nice ride

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Frames are the same. Obviously you will have a different fork and seatpost.

LA CHEVRE
    Very nice!

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

Sep 2008
    Cheers all,

Yep its a Caad9-1 not the 4 model. This one has the 7900 Dura ace bits and the FSA crank.

Non standard parts are:
    3T Doric Team
    3T Ergonova Team 44cm
    3T ARX Team -17* 120mm
    3T Funda Team
    Fizik Arione CX carbon with carbon rails.

Not sure on the weight, will try get a scale on it today if I can find one.

Thanks again, go buy one, these are awesome! 380km over the weekend and so stoked.

Jack

P.s. Saddle to bar drop = Trackie with a rubber spine.

Wisely Inconsistent
    That is one very nice bike. It has such a great, fast, stable ride. It's going to look dangerously fast with those Edge wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    sick ride! I am also going to be getting a CAAD 9 in the near future... can you please tell me the length from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat?

I am 6'1 and have owned a size 58 CAAD5, but would prefer a top tube a touch shorter than 57.5cm. Hence, I am leaning towards getting the size 56 CAAD9, too. I ride with my seat about 79 cm above the bb... yours looks higher, is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hschofie
    sick ride! I am also going to be getting a CAAD 9 in the near future... can you please tell me the length from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat?

I am 6'1 and have owned a size 58 CAAD5, but would prefer a top tube a touch shorter than 57.5cm. Hence, I am leaning towards getting the size 56 CAAD9, too. I ride with my seat about 79 cm above the bb... yours looks higher, is it?
    I don't know if this helps, but I'm 6'2" and ride a 56cm SuperSix and Caad9 with a 130mm stem. It's a pretty aggressive fit, but works for me.

Sep 2008
    Hey dudes, I'm 6'0" exact and my seat height is 770mm from the BB centre. The drop from the top centre of the saddle to the top of my bars is 155mm so it might look a bit higher than it actually is and I'm running a 120mm stem.

Similar aggressive fit but it works for me.

Still no idea on the weight yet.. soon maybe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    yowza... 15.5 cm drop is massive!

Thanks for that info... will definitely help me formulate what size frame I will get!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Nice bike, looks like a great ride. I'm thinking about one of these framesets and was wondering about a couple of things:

1. Why did you go with the 3T fork? I've heard nothing but good things about the C'dale fork that they are spec'ing with the 2010 frames, apparently much better (and lighter) the the previous years' forks.

2. What headset are you using, more specifically which top cap? All the C'dales I've seen have some ridiculously tall top caps (30+mm) which completely screw up the headtube length figures.

Thanks in advance...

CHL
    Naso Unicornis
    Hi danjammin:

Are you refering to the cap that goes directly over the upper bearing of the headset? You would then put spacers (if needed). If that's the part, then have no fear.

You most likely have seen many pictures of a very tall top cap that is somewhat dome shaped. It's an optional piece. It's more a spacer than a cap. There is a flat top cap underneath.

CHL

Sep 2008
    Not on these ones CHL, I know that a few of the Giant's use a seat and a cone shaped reducer/spacer but for the CAAD9, both this year and last(as long as I have been working with Cannondale) the tapered cone IS the seat(The cap that covers the bearings) and if you remove it you will have nothing to mount the stem on but the compression ring.

I'm a bike mechanic and we had a few spare flat ones kicking about in the shop from the same brand of headset, Cane Creek. I wanted to get lower than the tapered one would allow so I swapped it out.

Sep 2008
    Hey man, I sorta answered part of it below in reply to CHL but:

1- a} Thanks! I can't recommend this bike enough, the few minor niggles I have found in the 750km since the Friday before last I got sorted yesterday at the shop and the bike runs like a dream.

1. The 3T fork I already had, I bought last years CAAD9-7 very cheap with the intention of doing it up with the 3T parts and Red groupset, I was still waiting for my Orca SL to sell so I could fund the groupset and wheels when I heard the rumours from the distributor about this years 9-1 with the 7900 and stuff. I already had bought the fork/stem/seatpost/bars by then so I thought I would just hold off and chuck it all on the new bike..

The fork they come with is nice, but its not this 3T for by a long shot. I got the bike out of the box and one of the first things I did, before even cabling it up was to pull the 'dale fork out, compare the two, swap the crown race and put the Funda in. The quality of the 3T carbon is a lot nicer as is the finish on the fork. As a factory item the Cannondale one is great but I already had this, so why not.

I also think a straight bladed fork like the Funda is a much better match style wise for the seat stays than the curved, rounded Cannondale item.

It actually works out kinda cool anyway, I'm using all the stuff I stripped from this bike on my 9-7 from last year which has made the winter beater a bit faster.

2. The headset is a Cane Creek, the standard item. I also had another Cane Creek seat/cap at work and I wanted to get lower(and lose that stack!) so I checked the machining on the undersides was the same and fitted it, same width and it sits on the compression ring nicely. I had a look at one of the FSA orbits and it should work also but didn't need to try it out as we had the Cane Creek.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hi, what is your bike computer the red one?? and can we put that on the stem too??
    2010 Cannondale super six HM liquigas (sram red) sold
    2009 Cannondale caad 9 BB30 Team (sram red)
    2008 Cannondale caad 9 (dura ace) sold
    2007 Cannondale caad 8 (ultegra) sold
    2007 Cannondale six 13 team bb30 (sram red)
    2006 Opus vivace (ultegra) sold

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shotojs78
    hi, what is your bike computer the red one?? and can we put that on the stem too??
    Looks like a Knog NERD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Jack, thanks for the detailed answers to my questions - it seems the main reason for changing the fork was that you already had the 3T but changing out that conical spacer (top cap thingy) is an absolute necessity.

I had heard that it was just a spacer and there was a proper cap underneath, but I knew that info was from a few years ago. Seems like I'd have to hunt around for a properly sized cap although I don't have the luxury of going through the parts bin of my own bike shop...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    How is the stiffness of the crank? You've had it for a while now and I'm wondering what your impressions are? I've heard many reviews that the stock crank is not very stiff at all and have seen testing where it scored close to last. I just put in my order for a CAAD9-1 and I was just trying to figure out if the SLK actually warranted these poor reviews. Thanks.
    Last edited by dominicisi; 11-17-2009 at 05:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dominicisi
    How is the stiffness of the crank? You've had it for a while now and I'm wondering what your impressions are? I just put in my order for a CAAD9-1 and I was just trying to figure out if a crank swap is necessary. Thanks.
    I don't want to be a jerk (it just comes naturally I guess!), but...surely you're not going to swap the crank before you even ride it, are you? Even if you ride it and immediately decide you want to swap the crank, it's not like you're left without a bike to ride while you wait for the new crank to arrive -- surely the stock crank won't be so bad that you just wouldn't be able to bring yourself to ride the bike while waiting

Asad

Sep 2008
    +2500km on the bike so far and in love with it(See one post ago for a review) Here is seen with some Edge 1.68's the shop I work for loans me for racing.

Last edited by jack.campbell; 11-18-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast