2014 Synapse info/pics thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

I'll be purchasing a new road bike sooner then later & it's either going to be the new Synapse or the Evo. Any info, photos, ride reports on the Synapse would be appreciated. This is going to be a tough decision

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I just ordered a 2014 Synapse Hi-Mod Dura Ace. I'm hoping it will be in by mid-June. MSRP is $7499.
    BikeHubStore.com
    www.bikehubstore.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I'll try to keep it simple, using the beautiful and undervalued tool of sweeping generalizations:

If you're over 40: Synapse.

If you race competitively: EVO.

I've had CAADs, SystemSix, SuperSix, and three Synapses...and I'm 48. Guess which one I still own and ride?

I'm also, admittedly, more of a mountain biker.

And I'd love one of the new Synapse Hi-Mod Black, with Di2. Still not sure about that 25.4 seatpost...or the Vision wheels...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I just just made the same decision a month ago comparing the 2013 EVO Hi Mod to the 2013 Hi Mod Synapse. It was hard to find test bikes but I was able to find both before buying and that is your best bet. The Synapse head tube is 2 cm higher than the EVO but the EVO still fit me being in the highest position and I am 60. The EVO is 2 lbs lighter and accelerates faster. The Evo was a newer design and was almost as comfortable as the Synapse so I chose the 2013 EVO Hi-Mod Dura Ace bike. The Synapse is now a new design for 2014 and what I hear is a big improvement so you could wait to test ride if you can find one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Will there be any changes to the 2014 Synapse alloy models?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Read somewhere online that the geometry may have changed on the 2014 Synapse?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Something like this?

Peloton

The All-New Synapse

The cannondale page has a lot of pictures and was taken from this thread http://forums.roadbikereview.com/can...es-303652.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    This was my thought as well - I'm turning 40 this year and decided that the Synapse was the way to go, even though I probably would have been fine on the Evo. From what I've been reading, the new Synapse is a vast improvement over the old in terms of stiffness and weight. Can't wait to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
    I'll try to keep it simple, using the beautiful and undervalued tool of sweeping generalizations:

I've had CAADs, SystemSix, SuperSix, and three Synapses...and I'm 48. Guess which one I still own and ride?

And I'd love one of the new Synapse Hi-Mod Black, with Di2. Still not sure about that 25.4 seatpost...or the Vision wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by dje31 View Post

BikeHubStore.com
    www.bikehubstore.com

Ruby
    Background, I am soon to be 65 and rode over 4000 miles last year. Bad back and age brought me to my 2011 Synapse that originally came as a model 6 with Apex group and has been upgraded to all Force with Dura Ace wheels and Easton carbon bars. This has brought the weight down to 16 pounds. Very comfortable bike (except for stock saddle).
    I have been thinking of getting a higher end frame and the '14 Hi Mod I believe will be coming out with the new SRAM Force 22 group. It appears to be lighter, stiffer and quicker in handling than the older models.
    My LBS in NY originally pointed me to 3 models when I was looking, the Synapse, Specialized Roubaix and the Giant Defy. Ended up buying from LBS in Florida who given age and riding goals also went with the Synapse and a Look model (don't remember the number).
    When I was getting fitted they mentioned that most people looking for new bikes tend to go for racing models with geometry that is wrong for their style of riding and they are put in positions on the bike that is lower and certainly more uncomfortable for longer rides.
    The Synapse in my opinion after almost 6M miles on it covers most styles of riding and while I wouldn't ride it in a crit, is certainly fine for long rides from 10 to 100 miles which would include any Fondo' you might consider.
    '11 Synapse 3+

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also I am really hoping the green color comes to the market. If it does I might have to get another synapse instead of a caad10

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby13 View Post
    The Synapse in my opinion after almost 6M miles on it covers most styles of riding and while I wouldn't ride it in a crit, is certainly fine for long rides from 10 to 100 miles which would include any Fondo' you might consider.
    You've put in almost six million miles??? ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone know if new 2014 Synapse will be available as frameset only. Thank you.

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm View Post
    Also I am really hoping the green color comes to the market. If it does I might have to get another synapse instead of a caad10
    The all green ones the team were riding in the classics? No plans to have it available...

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Ruby
    6M in my former banking career was thousands.Guess I have to get up to date and use 6k.
    '11 Synapse 3+

RoadBikeReview Member
    Doh!!! They are starting to hit the dealers?

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Doh!!! They are starting to hit the dealers?
    Dealer here (I'm in Canadakistan though, might be slower to get) said mid-june... but the local rep now has a 2014 Synapse Black Inc... but it it's not my size.

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The 2014 Synapse RED that was slated for early June is now delayed until early to mid AUGUST.

It is most likely the RED22 that is holding it back.

If you are fancyin' the RED bike, be aware it has an 11-32 cassette with WiFLi RD AND 28mm tires…the 11-32 kinda turned me off.

The BLACK INC. Dura Ace bike will be mid June….(fingers crossed).

I'm gonna replace mechanical for Di2 and put some 202FC clinchers on it….hoping that the Di2 battery will fit in the 25.4 seat post…anyone know? I see that there's a women's di2 version listed and it looks like its internal battery...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Have a riding buddy that was just surprised with a 2014 Synapse Hi-Mod frame as a crash replacement.
    Darrell's Synapse Hi-Mod.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Those are actually 2013 Synapses…the 2014 has much different tube shapes and all internal routing…

Sweet bikes nonetheless….

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Correct. I was not really paying attention and saw a pic of my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you guys noticed how nobody talks about the weight of the new 2014 Synapse in any of the reviews?

I think I know why... My local bikeshop cyclespassieu.com got the top of the line Mechanic Dura-Ace, Vision Metron 40, new Hollowgram crankset version in size 54cm.

Just about the lightest parts available, and no paint on the bike. Weight?

6.8kg without pedals, or 14,99 lbs.

I didn't weigh the bike myself, but the mechanics were surprised too how heavy it was.

Could it be true that the bike is that hefty?

This is unfortunately the only picture that I have of the bike at the moment. I'll take some more next week.

EDIT: It seems that the correct weight is 6.7kg. More pictures on the front page cyclespassieu.com

3b256e54b533c31798ba57cb04747896.jpg

LA CHEVRE
    Frame is reported at 950gr (size 54 or 56) which isn't that bad for a frame of that type, no clue about the fork weight though. But FSA SL-K parts aren't light, the Aliante Kium isn't either, and while Dura-Ace is not heavy, it is heavier than SRAM Red. I can't find the weight of those Vision wheels, but they're probably well above 1500gr... All that for a total weight right at the edge of the UCI weight limit? I don't think it's unreasonable. The BMC Grand Fondo that Taylor Phinney used this spring was 8kg! There is weight to be lost if someone wants to (although the seatpost size might make it hard to find a light option), but weight weenies are better served sticking with the EVO.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.

DAN GEROUS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast