BB30 Bottom Bracket Adapter Question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

BB30 Bottom Bracket Adapter Question

I've read a few posts that seem to argue both sides. I just picked up a '09 Super Six and will initially transfer over my Dura-Ace 7800 group, but would like to switch over to Red at some point, as well as take advantage of the BB30 bottom bracket.

If I install a non-BB30 crankset using the bottom bracket adapter, can it later be removed without damaging the bottom bracket if I decide to switch to a BB-30 crankset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uscsig51
    I've read a few posts that seem to argue both sides. I just picked up a '09 Super Six and will initially transfer over my Dura-Ace 7800 group, but would like to switch over to Red at some point, as well as take advantage of the BB30 bottom bracket.

If I install a non-BB30 crankset using the bottom bracket adapter, can it later be removed without damaging the bottom bracket if I decide to switch to a BB-30 crankset?
    Yes, you can now remove the BB30 to STD BB adapter safely from any Cannondale frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    yes you can, i believe that cannondale now sell these specific removal tools to anyone so you could do it yourself. im looking at doing the same thing.

CHL
    Naso Unicornis
    uscsi51:

The official party line from Cannondale is that you should not remove the insert from a carbon fiber bottom bracket shell. You may remove the insert from a metal bottom bracket shell. My LBS owner says that he has removed it from many carbon fiber bottom bracket shells without any problems. I wouldn't risk it since it's an expensive frame, however the evidence suggest that you may do so without issues.

CHL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHL
    uscsi51:

The official party line from Cannondale is that you should not remove the insert from a carbon fiber bottom bracket shell. You may remove the insert from a metal bottom bracket shell. My LBS owner says that he has removed it from many carbon fiber bottom bracket shells without any problems. I wouldn't risk it since it's an expensive frame, however the evidence suggest that you may do so without issues.

CHL
    CHL...Cannondale has officially proclaimed it is safe to remove the adapter from carbon frames, as long as you or your LBS uses the correct procedure.