good move or bad move
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

good move or bad move

Thinking of selling my 2010 Caad9 5 and getting a 2010 Six Carbon 5 ($1999) or a Six Carbon 3 09 ($1999).

Will i get any improvments on the Six VS the Caad9 mostly on climbing and longer rides 60+miles?

Any advice is appreciated.
    ty

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    Just because it's carbon doesn't make it better. If you're going to trade in, trade up; get a Super. The Six wouldn't be any better than your CAAD9. Good quality tires and correct pressure are more important than frame material in terms of "ride quality". Save your money for a Super and/or go buy yourself some Vittoria Open Pave CX 24mm, it'll make you smile.

Say it with me everyone; Just 'cause it's carbon doesn't make it better.

Starnut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by STARNUT

Starnut
    Amen brother !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STARNUT

Starnut
    "Just 'cause it's carbon doesn't make it better."
    Last edited by jscumbie; 11-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I sold my 2008 CAAD 9 because I needed the money...that really killed me. Then I bought a full carbon in the new year. The noticeable difference is on the long rides and rough roads. Carbon is way more forgiving. My top speed while sprinting is higher as well, but other than that...I have gained nothing. Oh, it's much prettier to look at a carbon weave than an aluminum shine....but that's just me.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I upgraded from a 2008 Caad9 to 2009 SuperSix and there is a difference, but it's not huge. On short rides it's not very noticeable, but at around 50 miles I notice I'm less fatigued and my neck and shoulders aren't as sore. Also, there is a little more top end and the SuperSix feels a little more stable at higher speeds. The biggest difference are the cranks, I decided to bite the bullet and get the Cannondale cranks to go with the BB30 and they're SUPER smooth and stiff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Keep in mind that if you trade your 2010 Caad 9 in, you'll probably lose 30-40%of the original price simply because it is now used. So unless you got a killer deal on it, it will probably be an expensive move, especailly considering the six isn't much better. As another poster said, if you are going to upgrade, go all the way to the super, It will still be an expensive upgrade, but at least it will be a significant upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Don't take this personally but you're prior posts indicate you're a bit of a basket case with regard to upgrading.

You just got the bike, right? I'd suggest riding it to better determine your wants and needs though personal experience and not marketing hype. You just might find that the CAAD9 is a damn good bike that satisfies the needs of people well more andvanced than us posting about the latest and greatest on internet forums.

A new rider looking for climbing ability improvement over the CAAD9 reeks of blaming the bike for what the body can't do also.
    Last edited by Hank Stamper; 11-17-2009 at 08:44 AM.

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    Owning a CAAD9 BB30 and an '08 Super 6, I can't tell a difference in the magic "ride quality" everyone. That being said, I ride on tubbies almost year round. I have a set of 320 tpi Pave CX 24mm prototypes on both bikes. The CAAD9 is no less "comfortable" than my Super. I'll contend forever, that proper pressure and high quality rubber is where "ride quality" comes from.

The CAAD9 is stiffer than my Super in the BB but the Super is significantly stiffer in the HT. The 2010 Super (in both flavors) are a big jump in weight and stiffness over my '08 and a smaller big jump over the 2009 in the same terms.

Starnut

LA CHEVRE
    Is there something you dont like about the CAAD9 to warrant changing a 2010 model already?

Like most, I also think going from a CAAD9 to a Six doesn't make much sense. If you want to upgrade, might as well go for something that will be more of a true upgrade like the 2010 SuperSix.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I'm a cycling newbie, but this sounds like the typical case of bike/gear-upgrade-infection that seem to pervade online bike forums. Buying an upgrade, whether that is parts or a whole bike, is an instant gratification thing, whereas it actually takes time and effort to ride say 200-500 miles a week for years on end... but we probably realize which one will yield the most improvement in riding performance...

Dec 2006
    Save your money and Like Nutty said get some high quality tires and run the correct air pressure for YOUR weight. Just because the tire says it can take 120 psi doesn't mean you should pump them up that high. I, like Nutty ride tubular all year round, training and racing and I normally run mine at 105 rear 100 front and these are Veloflex carbons. Smooth as butter they ride. Right now I have 28mm Vittoria Pave's on and I'm running them at 90-95 rear and 8o-85 front and it's like rolling on glass, smoooooooooooooooth.
    Oh , these are on my 2 CAAD9 racing bikes that I ride 100 - 200+ miles on the just weekends.
    High quality tires is what you need, not a carbon frame.

John
    2nd place is just the 1st loser
    NCVC

fu
    Aside from what others have said, there is no comparison between the 09 Six Carbon and the '10 Six Carbon. The new frameset is considerably lighter.
    Last edited by ph0enix; 11-17-2009 at 08:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclust
    Keep in mind that if you trade your 2010 Caad 9 in, you'll probably lose 30-40%of the original price simply because it is now used. So unless you got a killer deal on it, it will probably be an expensive move, especailly considering the six isn't much better. As another poster said, if you are going to upgrade, go all the way to the super, It will still be an expensive upgrade, but at least it will be a significant upgrade.
    Sold the Caad9, dint loose any money at all as i got a great deal on it, so now its time for a new bike. Loved the caad9 a lot, worse come to worse ill get another 1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mitong
    Sold the Caad9, dint loose any money at all as i got a great deal on it, so now its time for a new bike. Loved the caad9 a lot, worse come to worse ill get another 1.

Good luck with your Fuji bike selection.
    My next vehicle would be a zamboni
    2012 Super Six (Chorus 11)
    2011 Super Six Team edition (Super Record 11)
    2009 Super Six HM (Super Record 11)
    2007 Systems Six (Record 10)
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )