Need some insight...

Jul 2008

Need some insight...

i ordered what i thought was a 2009 super six 1 with durace. what the LBS got was an '08 super six 1 with the 'old' 7800 durace. here is the 'problem' i wanted the 2009 for the new durace, the r-sys wheels and the co-molded frame *but* the shops is willing to sell me the 2008 for about $500 less than the 2009.

according to the LBS the 2008 is pretty much the same bike 'in all practical purposes' as the 2009 and likely i would not notice real differences in ride quality etc... thoughts on this?

i am pretty undecided how to proceed. the reality is the LBS can back-out on the 2009 price and just quote me retail which would be WAY more than a simple $500 difference.

thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You don't say what the net cost would be on the '08 SuperSix; if it's less than 4.5K with the discount, then it's a good deal. If the '08 bike is going to cost you more than that, renegociate on the 2009. Just my two-cents.

Jul 2008
    jlyle, the stated cost is right in at 4.5k... when they thought they had the bike (an '09) they said 4.9k but the reality is if i end up saying no to the '08 then i am somewhat looking at 6.5k at retail.

so in your estimate i am getting a good deal with the '08 and i really cannot go wrong.

thanks for your feedback

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    At $4.5K the '08 is $1,000 less than it's original retail but is $1,500-$2,000 less than retail on an '09. You've got to make the call but with the extra $$$ you could upgrade the '08 and have extra $$$ if you start by selling the Ksyriums to get the Rsys...

Jul 2008
    it solid advice and i was thinking about the same approach. the $ saved could be spent on strategic upgrades that will likely have greater impact on the bike and ride quality.

so here ya have it ... what would be the upgrades; some that i can think of:

1/ wheels ... get some ZIP 404 or fulcrums
    2/ brakes ... they come with the cannondale carbons and i am thinking zero g

that is pretty much it ... right ?

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    The shop is right............. the difference between the frame is very small and you'll likely never notice a difference.

One word of advice; don't get zero gs. Get some KCNCs. They are easier to set up, lighter, work better, and cheaper.

Starnut

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    If I was starting by saving so much I'd just get the matching 7800 brakes and be way more ambitious with the wheel upgrade...

Jul 2008
    just came back from the LBS and i have to say the bike is pretty darn cool. i climbed on it (raining here so i cannot ride it and i need to change the 172.5 to 175 cranks) and the fit out of the box feels pretty close. i have to make some of the normal small adjustments.

the bike is all business... i am pretty excited to ride it and get it home.

you are right with the brakes ... i actually got some feedback by one of the guys are the shop on the zero g brakes ... he said he couldn't get the demo bike at Vegas to stop, and this was a zero g demo ! anyhow, i will likely run the cannondale brakes for a bit and then swap them only if i feel like there is a problem. reality is i try not to brake anyhow.

thanks again guys all good feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Okay.......I' have a different take. Ciamillo makes 2 different brakes the older version, which is called Zero Gravity and a newer version (released in Sept. 2007 ) are called Negative G. I went from Dura Ace 7800 on a Six 13 to Negative Gs on my System 6. I used to think the Dura Ace 7800s ruled the world when it came to caliper brakes! I weigh 235 lbs. and always preferred a good powerful stopping brake. With the 7800s there really is not a lot of range with them, they will lock up quicker then any brake I have used. I thought that was good. I saw a picture of the Negative Gs, read the article below, and decided to go with the "eye-candy". They are simply the best brake I've ever used. They have a good progressive range and can still be locked up if needed! I had no problems in setting up the brakes and they hold their adjustment. The only problem I can see with the Negative Gs, is that the caliper release does not open the brakes up very wide. So if you use a wider tire like some 25s or a 28 width, you would probably have to inflate the tire after mounting the wheel on the bike.

Also, in my comparison of the two brakes, the 7800s had Dura Ace brake pads and the Negative Gs had Swiss Stop GHP green pads, and used the same wheels. I have never tried the GHPs with the 7800s.

Here the article reviewing Negative Gs LINK !

Here's the "eye-candy"
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    that's not really fair.... one has OEM hard pads, the other soft $50+ swisstops...

as long as the brakes work, and apply sufficient pressure to lock up, the difference b/w them is mainly in the pads.... soft vs hard compound etc

like your system 6 tho! alloy rival looks good on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wankski
    that's not really fair.... one has OEM hard pads, the other soft $50+ swisstops...

as long as the brakes work, and apply sufficient pressure to lock up, the difference b/w them is mainly in the pads.... soft vs hard compound etc

like your system 6 tho! alloy rival looks good on it.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm using the Rival shifters with Force RD, FD, 7801 chain, and 7800 cassette.

Here's a LINK to World Class Cycles and the stock replacement Dura Ace pads cost $18.00 and the Swisstop Green cost $20.00. That's for the 7800 brake! It's the Yellow King for carbon wheels that cost close to 50 bucks! So with just a 2 dollar difference, I think thatís a fair comparison!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    ahh, my bad... that's a decent site! hope they ship to OZ... previously haven't tried swisstop due to price..

my understanding is that the Greens are the same deal as the Salmons in Kool-Stop.. i.e soft compound for better performance in the wet, and they tend to save rims as ooposed ot the 'general purpose' blacks..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ko...ts/5300005952/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wankski
    my understanding is that the Greens are the same deal as the Salmons in Kool-Stop.. i.e soft compound for better performance in the wet, and they tend to save rims as ooposed ot the 'general purpose' blacks..

That is also my understanding about the difference between green vs. black.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickhackman
    i ordered what i thought was a 2009 super six 1 with durace. what the LBS got was an '08 super six 1 with the 'old' 7800 durace. here is the 'problem' i wanted the 2009 for the new durace, the r-sys wheels and the co-molded frame *but* the shops is willing to sell me the 2008 for about $500 less than the 2009.

according to the LBS the 2008 is pretty much the same bike 'in all practical purposes' as the 2009 and likely i would not notice real differences in ride quality etc... thoughts on this?

i am pretty undecided how to proceed. the reality is the LBS can back-out on the 2009 price and just quote me retail which would be WAY more than a simple $500 difference.

thoughts?
    Maybe I'm missing the whole point of this discussion, but it's the lawyer in me that is talking. If you believed you were ordering an 09 Supersix 1 at $x, and the lbs wrote an invoice for same or said he was ordering an 09 at that price, you should be getting an 09 Supersix 1 at $x. That's a contract.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Does he have a receipt stating the year and model, did he put money down?

If so ......................... I agree with ping771 statement about having a contract.

Jul 2008
    nope ... no $ down.

what happened was the bike was located by the regional rep who thought it was an '09 and i said to my LBS ... ship it and i will take it. when the LBS got it they noticed it was an '08 and called me to tell me of the mix-up. they said that in spite of the error they would take $500 more down (already a great deal and now better) and left it in my hands. they did say however that should they need to wait and order a bike (because they are not around right now ... december is the build month for '09 S6) then i may run the risk of having to pay retail.

according to all i have discussed this with ... the bike is pretty much the same .. some diffs but all-in will be the same and for the price ... i can get some Zip 404's and still have coin left compared to the cost of the new S6.