possible to replace cage mount on CF frame?
    your god hates me

possible to replace cage mount on CF frame?

So the threaded insert behind one of the bottle cage mounting screw holes on my carbon Synapse seat tube got so corroded/fused to the screw that it snapped off inside the frame when I tried to remove the screw.

It's been suggested that all (sic) I need to do is get a new "rivnut" installed to make this cage mounting location usable again.

Anyone know if this is actually possible, and is it a (hopefully) simple operation on a carbon frame?

My concerns are twofold:
    1) everything I know about "rivnuts" suggests it's the perfect option for a metal frame, but I just don't know anything about their applicability to carbon fiber frames
    2) if a "rivnut" (or some other such threaded insert that gets installed through the front of the hole) is not the appropriate solution, I just can't quite fathom how someone would install something from the back on a frame that's already built...they'd either have to go through the bottom bracket or the top of the seat tube, and I just can't imagine how they could do that without the kind of flexible tools/lights/cameras that an arthroscopic surgeon uses!

Any elucidation would be appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in sorta the same boat as you. One of the inserts for the bottle cage ripped out.

I think my only option is to send the frame up to Calfee to get it fixed.

LA CHEVRE
    I think many bike shop can fix this. I'm not sure how they do it but they can probably bond the threads/nuts back in place or put new ones... A little bit of grease on the mounting bolts could be a good idea next time, and no need to tighten them too hard either.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    A little bit of grease on the mounting bolts could be a good idea next time
    To be honest I was really surprised that the LBS that built the bike up (presumably) didn't do this...although it was also suggested to me that regreasing those threads every year should be a part of routine maintenance, so I'm not really pointing fingers

...well, maybe a little.

But yeah, any of the screws I've subsequently installed on my bike, or shoes, always get a liberal coating of Phil Woods Waterproof Grease. It was just a fluke that I'd never had reason to remove the rear bottle cage in four years.