Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

System paint chip ?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  CHL 
#1 ·
Starnut,

I recently discovered a small chunk of paint came off the right seat stay on my System Six, just wondered if Cannondale would replace the frame under defective frame ?

Thanks

#3 ·
Cool I will give it a try. Thx Starnut.

#5 ·
I had this replacement for my Six13 since Jan 08, my LBS said it OK and there is no structure damage but I don't think it's cool to ride a black color bike with a silver dot on the frame.

#7 ·
You never know Cannondale replaced my Six13 due to clear coat problem on the paint job, Super Six ? ? ?

#10 ·
So I'm not the only one with this problem.

#11 ·
Zamboni, I'm in the process with lbs of having my six13 clear coat frame replaced. I tried out a system6 yesterday and it may be a possible replacement. Rep is having a hard time finding a replacement since my bike has 30mm bottom bracket. How do you like the system after riding a six13.

#12 ·
Compare the two System Six is more comfy and very stable on desent, still have the same charactors as CAAD9 on the rear. If the rep can't locate S6 I would pay some money and upgrade to Super Six.

#14 ·
I agree with Starnut, ultimately you should have a good relationship with your LBS to see how much push they have with Cannondale to get the warranty replacement.

It seems to me that a paint chip caused by, e.g., some road debris that smacks the frame and causes the chip is wear and tear not covered by the warranty. By a paint chip because the quality of the paint deteriorated to the point where the paint falls off through no cause, that should be covered by the warranty. Although it's not paint chipping, I'm getting my Six13 frame warrantied to a SystemSix because of clearcoat corrosion.

#15 ·
Agreed but in this case the paint chip was not cause by road debris or rocks, it's has to do with workmanship, you be upset if you paid this much for a frame and turn out to be defective.
Cannondale is pretty good with their paint job but once in a while you have some will slip by quality inspection.

#16 ·
Cannondale is pretty good with their paint job but once in a while you have some will slip by quality inspection.[/QUOTE said:
Don't know about this Zamboni. My 1998 CAAD2 had the best paint job (of the C'dles I've owned). I didn't see any contamination in the paint and never experienced any road hazard damage. My CAAD4 has numerous contaminants in the paint. My Super Six has the same contamination and I do see some un-even paint application.

Now if Cannondale's paint jobs were as good as Klein or Calfee, we'll be be golden.

CHL

PS: I saw the paint job on Pegoretti and other custom made frames at the NAHBS. Those guys are insanely beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.