P1020341.JPG
    P1020342.JPG
    cheers

Pete

Trek Emonda SL8 with 9000
    Trek Madone 6.9 with 9000

>Space reserved for next bike<

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet! Awesome upgrades to timeless bikes.

Re: Cervelo Photo Album...Post Your pride & Joy

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Sweet! Awesome upgrades to timeless bikes.
    Timeless??? They're plastic bikes made in China. Hardly "timeless". Cool, maybe. But that's all.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jeez PlatyPius-what rates as a great bike for you?

Jeez PlatyPius-what rates as a great bike for you?
    Great is different from timeless.

Timeless would be something like one of the bikes that Coppi rode, a Pinarello from the early days, or a newer handmade steel frame.

Great would be something like a TIME (made entirely in-house), a Cyfac (hand-built in France), a Shamrock (hand-built in Indiana), or any non-mass-produced commodity bike.

IMO, of course.

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure, it would be nice to have a Cyfac or a Time, beautiful bikes.
    But the Cervelo R3 brings super light weight and incredible comfort. Buying one used makes it available to the masses, unlike a Cyfac or Time (very hard to find used).

Have you ever ridden an R3?
    That bike is magic.
    Cancellera, O'Grady, and Sastre have kicked some serious ass on it.
    I doubt they care where it was made.

Re: Cervelo Photo Album...Post Your pride & Joy

Sure, it would be nice to have a Cyfac or a Time, beautiful bikes.
    But the Cervelo R3 brings super light weight and incredible comfort. Buying one used makes it available to the masses, unlike a Cyfac or Time (very hard to find used).

Have you ever ridden an R3?
    That bike is magic.
    Cancellera, O'Grady, and Sastre have kicked some serious ass on it.
    I doubt they care where it was made.
    Yes, I've ridden an R3. I used to sell Cervelo. I gave up on them after we had 20+ broken ones hanging from the ceiling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Yes, I've ridden an R3. I used to sell Cervelo. I gave up on them after we had 20+ broken ones hanging from the ceiling.

Are these catastrophic failures from crashes? Over how many years?

Cervelo is estimated to generate 30 million dollars a year in sales. That's a production of about 8572 bikes a year if we assume the average cost of 3500. If the failure rate is that high for your shop that year then surely the over one hundred world wide dealers would have close to the same rate which would be about a 23% failure rate. That would trigger a recall for sure. You should have called CSPC!

But if it is only one frame a year for the hundred dealers (there are more, but just for the ease of examples) then there is only a failure of about 2% a year.

But out of these two percent, how many frames were the cause of failure versus an external stimulus that precipitated the crash like a snapped stem/bar/fork broken spoke, slip on slick surface etc... that causes the carbon bike to get get loaded and break. It's hard to determine cause and effect, I mean there's no video evidence or bike CSI to determine how something broke unless it is a repeatable failure across the product line.

Cervelos are safe and reliable bikes. Sure the've had cosmetic cracks on the BB but nothings perfect. Heck, my sunroof failed on my Tesla and that's superficial and doesn't say much to how safe and reliable it is. Just because things are expensive, doesn't mean they're perfect.

All carbon manufacturers should introduce a test that simulates a peleton crash to see how they stand up to that kind of load.

I personally think that Bjarne Riis, David Millar, Wiggo and Frankie Andreu should throw every frame at something as a failure measure.

The way people talk about cervelo failures makes it seem like they're worse than Vitus. Which I'm going to build one up and do some cross racing with this season.

Re: Cervelo Photo Album...Post Your pride &amp; Joy

Quote Originally Posted by drrick97 View Post
    Are these catastrophic failures from crashes? Over how many years?

Cervelo is estimated to generate 30 million dollars a year in sales. That's a production of about 8572 bikes a year if we assume the average cost of 3500. If the failure rate is that high for your shop that year then surely the over one hundred world wide dealers would have close to the same rate which would be about a 23% failure rate. That would trigger a recall for sure. You should have called CSPC!

But if it is only one frame a year for the hundred dealers (there are more, but just for the ease of examples) then there is only a failure of about 2% a year.

But out of these two percent, how many frames were the cause of failure versus an external stimulus that precipitated the crash like a snapped stem/bar/fork broken spoke, slip on slick surface etc... that causes the carbon bike to get get loaded and break. It's hard to determine cause and effect, I mean there's no video evidence or bike CSI to determine how something broke unless it is a repeatable failure across the product line.

Cervelos are safe and reliable bikes. Sure the've had cosmetic cracks on the BB but nothings perfect. Heck, my sunroof failed on my Tesla and that's superficial and doesn't say much to how safe and reliable it is. Just because things are expensive, doesn't mean they're perfect.

All carbon manufacturers should introduce a test that simulates a peleton crash to see how they stand up to that kind of load.

I personally think that Bjarne Riis, David Millar, Wiggo and Frankie Andreu should throw every frame at something as a failure measure.

The way people talk about cervelo failures makes it seem like they're worse than Vitus. Which I'm going to build one up and do some cross racing with this season.
    It was 20 in the shop at one time. They had come in over the course of maybe a month. None were crashes. It would be silly of me to include those, wouldn't it? They were either crack-throughs on the seat stays or bottom bracket inserts that had broken loose. Two broken forks also, but they were under the Wolf fork recall.
    We were, at the time, one of the largest Cervelo dealers in the state.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Doing some seat/pole fiddling today so actually got around to taking a pic...

All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    my first cervelo

IMG_0391.jpg

Sram Force Drive, S900 Series crank soon to be equipped with a Riken.

Asian 88/60mm 25mm wide wheels

Now i just need the snow to go away so i can ride it

DraftMaster
    Jul 2006
    Recently acquired:
    2014 R3 58cm / Sram Red 22 WiFli / Mavic Ksyrium SLS / Fizik Aliante Carbon Saddle / Zipp Bars & Cages / Look Keo Blade 2 CR

Drivetrain and Cages:

Crankset: Sram Red 22 Quarq 50-34 / Front Derailleur: Sram Red 22 w/ Integrated Chain Watcher

Rear Derailleur: Sram Red 22 Medium Cage / Cassette: Sram Force 11-32

Cockpit:
    Zipp Contour SL Bar 44cm / Garmin 800 / Fizik Gel Tape / Profile Designs Carbon Bar End Plugs / Stem is a loaner until I get fitted
     photo DSC_2783_zps7457293b.jpg

Seatpost: FSA SLK Carbon / Saddle: Fizik Aliante Carbon

Brakes: Sram Red

Front View:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    bike.jpg
    I have put the final upgrade on the ride. Added the Reynolds today and can't wait to get it out on the road.

My other bike has knobbys
    Ok...I've updated my group, so I thought I should update my pictures too

2012 S2, Full Chorus, Campy Zonda wheels, RF Cadence bars, Fizik Alliante Gamma XM saddle. It has a wing, but also usually has clip-ons for my long distance solo work. Pardon the photo faux-pas of the chain position and bidon in the cage ;)

fq1.jpgrq1.jpgSide 2.jpg
    So 10 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2019 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

18 Bowman Palace:R, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX, 12 Cervelo S2 (frame to be repaired)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    My brand new S2 with Mavic and Dura S2.jpgace 9000

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Re: Cervelo Photo Album...Post Your pride &amp;amp;amp; Joy

2013 Ultegra R3 - 48cm

Upgrades:
    3T Stealth Ergonova Carbon bar 40cm
    Praxis-works 50/34 rings
    Ultegra carbon pedals
    Enve 3.4 SES with CK R45 hubs
    CK Ti skewers
    Ultegra 11-28 cassette
    S-Works Turbo 24c tires
    Syntace F109 75mm stem
    K-Edge chain catcher
    Barfly 2.0 Garmin mount
    Specialized S-Works Toupe 2014
    Arundel Mandible carbon cages
    Garmin cadence/speed sensor

Weighs in at 15lbs 5oz as equipped above....

uploadfromtaptalk1403313902936.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RCMTB; 07-11-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Recycle King
    Finally got around to installing the Look Keo Classic red pedals to go match the color scheme after making the purchase in late April.DSCN2852 25%.jpgDSCN2853 25%.jpgDSCN2854 25%.jpg
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, beautiful bike dude! I really want one. What's it ride like?
    Don't follow me... you won't keep up.

Recycle King
    It ride like the wind, fast! Especially coasting down a descent. Its very responsive.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Any idea what the beauty weighs? I'm thinking of picking one up, but I'm torn as to whether I should go all out and get an R5.

Quote Originally Posted by rcordray View Post
    Recently acquired:
    2014 R3 58cm / Sram Red 22 WiFli / Mavic Ksyrium SLS / Fizik Aliante Carbon Saddle / Zipp Bars & Cages / Look Keo Blade 2

DraftMaster
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kophinos View Post
    Any idea what the beauty weighs? I'm thinking of picking one up, but I'm torn as to whether I should go all out and get an R5.
    Well it was 14lbs before this happened:

Two weekends ago, with the bike on a Thule rack on the back of my Subie, I was rear-ended. Currently negotiating the labyrinth of the American insurance industry. Word to the uninitiated: Auto Club (car insurance) does NOT cover bikes or rack. Now chasing Safeco homeowners insurance to get the bike replaced.
    Last edited by rcordray; 07-11-2014 at 09:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Oh that really sux. Only thing good I can think about it is at least it didn't happen when you were on it.
    All the gear and no idea

DraftMaster
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Oh that really sux. Only thing good I can think about it is at least it didn't happen when you were on it.
    Very true.
    And, I was not injured, which is extremely fortunate given the force of the impact. I'm fairly convinced the rack and the bike took a lot of the inertia out of the collision.

A cursory inspection leads me to believe that only the frame and the wheels may need replacing, the rest of the componentry may have survived unscathed. The bike is currently at my LBS for dis-assembly and inspection.

My other bike has knobbys
    Here's my S2 all dressed up for the Ride to Conquer Cancer next weekend. I replaced the bag with something that tucked in better, got the aeros on from my long distance training and such....now I just need a set of deep dish wheels on it to complete the TT/Tri look ;)

2014 Pre Ride2.jpg
    So 10 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2019 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

18 Bowman Palace:R, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX, 12 Cervelo S2 (frame to be repaired)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dressed the R3 up with aero bars and Hed Jet 60/90's. The Ritchey seatpost is remarkable; can get nearly as far forward as my BMC TM01. Forgot how great the R3 is. Man, so comfortable and climbs effortlessly. 16 pounds with the bars and wheels!r369.jpg

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3031323334 LastLast