Adam Burg-Is a scammer
    remodeling...me

Adam Burg-Is a scammer

I put a frame up for sale last night and got a response already from an obvious scammer.

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:38:56 +0100 (BST)

Subject: Reynolds 631 Steel Frameset....................................$250 All headers
    All attachments
    Hello,

How are you doing today, I saw your Advert regarding the (BIKES) you have forsale which i am very much intrested in purchasing, So i will want you to try and get back to me with the Following Informations below which i think are Important before going ahead with the Transation :

1.. THE ASKING PRICE FOR THE SAID ITEM :.......................................
    2.. THE PRESENT CONDITION OF THE SAID ITEM:...............................
    3.. THE PICTURES FOR THE SAID ITEM:............................................. ...............

So with this i want you to know that the Mode of Payment will a Cashier's Check that is drawn from an American Bank, Also i will carter for Shipping, So Shipping should not be of any problem. I will now appreciate if you get back to me asap with an Answers to the Question i have asked and also if the Said Item is still for sale. I will now hope to hear from you soonest.

Thanks..................

Aug 2004
    He sounded like one of those Nigerian 419 scammer.........

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelnitro
    He sounded like one of those Nigerian 419 scammer.........
    He is!
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

remodeling...me

Its so obvious!!

Ok its not like I have never been conned but come on! These guys [email protected]! How do these guys actually make this work? He is asking for all the information I already posted in the ad!
    zeytin

Arrogant roadie.....

Here's how it works....

Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    Ok its not like I have never been conned but come on! These guys [email protected]! How do these guys actually make this work? He is asking for all the information I already posted in the ad!
    zeytin
    He sends this same form mail to every bike, car, skateboard and wheelbarrow being posted for sale. Maybe 1 out of 100 actually will respond.

At that point, he drops the scam: "I have a cashier's cheque (note-always British spelling) for {name some amount from $2000 up above the listed amount} drawn on an American bank, from which you should deduct the amount of the {insert object being sold} from that plus {several hundred dollars} for your troubles".

If you are gullible enough to fall for this, then the next bit is often given to another person (often referred to as a "shipping agent") who has a better command of the English language. Here is where they will air-freight you a fake cashier's cheque, which, if deposited, may fool the bank long enough for you to send the scammer a very large amount of money. Sometimes as much as $5000. A few days later, the bank calls back the money when they find the check is fake. You must repay them, and you're screwed.

The initial scammer (some better scammers are independant and carry the scam all the way through, BTW) only needs to find 2 or 3 suckers a year to live comfortably over in Lagos. They often work their scams all night long in internet cafes, and there is zero chance of being incarcerated, due to the lack of any type of extradition treaty with that country. Something like 35% of all the money flowing into the Nigerian economy is from these scams.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft