Asking for serial number scam?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Asking for serial number scam?

I just want to throw this one out for discussion and everyone thoughts. I had a UK Yahoo address e mail for a bike I have decided to keep, but was listed for sale. He wanted the serial number even after I told him the bike was no longer up for sale. I am not going to send it out as it seems to smell a bit funny to me.

I'd think with my real serial number he could relist and scam someone.

I realize a legit buyer would want such info too but why would someone want it otherwise.

1/10th as pissed off...
    Is it possible to check with a bicycle company to see if the person selling the bike is the registered owner, or if the bike has been reported as stolen? If so, I would think that this would be a reasonable request, but if you've decided to not sell the bike, there's no legitimate reason whatsoever to release that info to anyone, other than the police department when you report your bike as stolen (knock on wood...)
    With all due respect to Nietzsche, that which does not kill us makes us wish we were dead...

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    I just want to throw this one out for discussion and everyone thoughts. I had a UK Yahoo address e mail for a bike I have decided to keep, but was listed for sale. He wanted the serial number even after I told him the bike was no longer up for sale. I am not going to send it out as it seems to smell a bit funny to me.

I'd think with my real serial number he could relist and scam someone.

I realize a legit buyer would want such info too but why would someone want it otherwise.
    I agree with you that he was probably going to work a scam. The more legit the deal seems, the greater the chance someone will bite on it. You were right not to give it to him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevis
    I agree with you that he was probably going to work a scam. The more legit the deal seems, the greater the chance someone will bite on it. You were right not to give it to him.

Just to give everyone an update the guy mailed 2 more times after I siad "NO".

He still wanted MY serial number--I asked if he was curious about Litespeed serial number protocal so that he could identify legitmate bikes but he avoided that question. As for the sale aspect he intially offered me full price, can you send serial number question, and ended the e mail please answer ASAP. The whole deal stunk from the beginning but the kicker was the insistance on my serial number both before and AFTER I said no. I think he was just mining info...

I had recieved a request a few days prior for new pictures which could have been legit or could have the same guy slowly gathering info.

Jan 2003

End a scam with a scam!

You could end all speculation with your serial number inquirer if you offer to sell him the Litespeed again. If he agrees and tries to send you funds via Paypal (tell him Paypal only) then you will know he was legit. Don't accept the funds. He gets his money back and I'll bet he stops pestering you.

As for determining whether a seller is a scammer: Buyers should demand a photo of a bike with the owner holding the bike in one hand and the front page of that day's newspaper in the other. It would be a bit extreme, but would be proof of possession, no?