Possible Scam? Trek MTB
    Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

Possible Scam? Trek MTB

The 2004 Trek Fuel Project One that just showed up in the road bike classified is also for sale at MTBreview with a differnt seller name. Can't say it's a scam for sure but buyer beware.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Probably is. Scammers regularily troll the MTBR site for pics. Then they regularily post scam auctions here. They don't get taken down as quick as on e-bay. Play along with the scammer-see if you can waste some of his time....
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Trek Fuel Project One scam ?

Are you referring to the $2750 bike as the possible scam bike - I talked to the seller - Brian and was making plans to buy - but would like your opinion on this. He says he got scammed on a Nigerian cashier's check - which may or may not be the case.

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

Not Sure

Quote Originally Posted by mobeta
    Are you referring to the $2750 bike as the possible scam bike - I talked to the seller - Brian and was making plans to buy - but would like your opinion on this. He says he got scammed on a Nigerian cashier's check - which may or may not be the case.
    I no longer see the ad in RoadbikeReview.

I just recall that it was a Project One MTB which I had not seen before and the same picture was in MTBR and RBR even though the sellers name were different. It was in MTB first and that add MAY have been legit.

Send me a link for the one your are looking at. I assume it is in MTBR?

If you are interested talk to the person on the phone and at this price point it would be worth while for YOU to locate a bike shop in the sellers area and have them do a quick inspection. You could even pay the bike shop for packing and shipping. It may end up costing you an extra $50 or $75 but could save you from losing $2700.

Good Luck

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

I don't think it is

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

If this is the one you are reffering to than I don't think it is the same one.

However "Buyer Beware" as always

Good Luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Thanks.

I haven't bought a bike off an e-site before. What is the safest method of payment in your estimation - do you know if many sellers will do COD ? I was thinking of offering to pay the packing/ shipping charges up front and pay for the bike cashier's ckeck or money order COD - do you think many sellers would go for that ? I'm really concerned about forking over the money prior to getting the bike. The guy says he works for a bike shop in Tempe, AZ - here's what concerns me that he said or didn't say:
    1. Said he work for a small mom and pop bike shop but didn't name it
    2. had me call his cell - gave no home or office contact info
    3. said it was his buddy's bike

whaduthink ?

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelover
    I no longer see the ad in RoadbikeReview.

I just recall that it was a Project One MTB which I had not seen before and the same picture was in MTBR and RBR even though the sellers name were different. It was in MTB first and that add MAY have been legit.

Send me a link for the one your are looking at. I assume it is in MTBR?

If you are interested talk to the person on the phone and at this price point it would be worth while for YOU to locate a bike shop in the sellers area and have them do a quick inspection. You could even pay the bike shop for packing and shipping. It may end up costing you an extra $50 or $75 but could save you from losing $2700.

Good Luck

Arrogant roadie.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mobeta
    I haven't bought a bike off an e-site before. What is the safest method of payment in your estimation - do you know if many sellers will do COD ? I was thinking of offering to pay the packing/ shipping charges up front and pay for the bike cashier's ckeck or money order COD - do you think many sellers would go for that ? I'm really concerned about forking over the money prior to getting the bike. The guy says he works for a bike shop in Tempe, AZ - here's what concerns me that he said or didn't say:
    1. Said he work for a small mom and pop bike shop but didn't name it
    2. had me call his cell - gave no home or office contact info
    3. said it was his buddy's bike

whaduthink ?

jim
    I think it's a stolen bike.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft