Same old Story - another scam

Apr 2004

Thumbs down Same old Story - another scam

Posted a bike this week and have received several of these messages:

Hello,
    i came accros your ad and i am really intreted in geting it.
    So i will want you to pls email me if it is still available.
    And also tell me its present condition.
    Also send me the pics if it is available and give me your last price.
    Also i will want you to know that my mode of payment is with a certified
    chasiers check which i believe is the best way of payment.
    If you are ok with that you can get back to me so that we can conclude on
    payment.
    Regard..
    clarkjames...

I guess this is nothing more than an FYI. Thanks.

Ti me up
    For crying out loud, can these guys not at least get someone to check their spelling? You'd think they could at least come up with one nicely worded scam letter and keep using it.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK, I'll bite....

What the scam?

He sends you a cashier check...you deposit & and await clearence (a Chasiers check can not be returned for NSF, BUT is still can be cancelled after issuance)...then send bike..

Help me out...

PS. Always insist in a Postal MO, they cannot be cancelled after issuance...truely as good as cash..

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenMeany
    OK, I'll bite....

What the scam?

He sends you a cashier check...you deposit & and await clearence (a Chasiers check can not be returned for NSF, BUT is still can be cancelled after issuance)...then send bike..

Help me out...

PS. Always insist in a Postal MO, they cannot be cancelled after issuance...truely as good as cash..
    The 'cashiers' checks they send are counterfeits, some very good, some very bad. See the pics of my counterfeit check collection in this thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...15644#poststop If the check looks good enough, your bank will deposit the cash in your account. However when the check comes back in several weeks as "not good" the funds will be debited from your account. If the bank suspects that you knowingly deposited a counterfeit or fraudulent check, you could be prosecuted. Believe me, the bank will get their money, one way or another.

The main problem with this scam is not the depositing of the phony cashiers checks. It is that the checks are made out for an amount significantly higher than the sale price of your item; say $6,500.00 for a $1500.00 bike. The scammers want you to send the "excess funds" to their "shipper" via Western Union or MoneyGram. So the scenario is that you deposit this phony check, withdraw the amount of the excess funds, say $5,000.00 and send it off to wherever via Western Union. A couple of weeks later the check comes back as bad, the banks wants their $6,500.00 back, you've sent $5,000.00 of it that is untraceable, now what? You're out the money!!! And if by chance you've sent them the bike, well then you're doubly screwed.

Now to a point I've made many times on these forums regarding this type of scam. I strongly encourage all of you to play along, as if these thieves were legitimate buyers, and get them to send you their cashiers checks. It cost them about $55.00 to send the checks to you from Nigeria via FedEx Express or other courier service. Plus whatever costs they incur buying these checks from the people that make them.

If enough of us do this, maybe the many dollars they spend for no returns will encourage them that this is not a profitable operation for them. In other words: LET'S SCAM THE SCAMMERS!
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fair enough...

But what in the orignal email tells you: 1) that they are going to send you an amount over the requested price 2) that they are from anywhere other then USA, 3) That they will send you any other MO than you have requested (USPS, Wells Fargo)..

I share your concerns about being scamed. I just was wondering where the redflag was to "bad trader" that guy before anything more then offer to purchase has taken place...

Thanks for you explaination, jb

Fair enough...

But what in the orignal email tells you: 1) that they are going to send you an amount over the requested price 2) that they are from anywhere other then USA, 3) That they will send you any other MO than you have requested (USPS, Wells Fargo)..

I share your concerns about being scamed. I just was wondering where the redflag was to "bad trader" that guy before anything more then offer to purchase has taken place...

Here is an actual e-mail I received in response to an internet ad I had posted about a tandem I had for sale:

"We are interested in buying your above mentioned products at advertised
    rate. Goods to be picked up from your location for onward shipping to
    London. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The debtor
    owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending you a check
    for $7,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our order .The
    balance you will send as we would instruct you to the Agency that will ship
    the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you fine, please send us your
    address where to send the check, as well as the name to be on it. Also send
    us your phone number for easy communication.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Best Regards

MR. JOHN ROBSON."

Now, the guy's name isn't important because they change it frequently. Let's find the red flags in this e-mail:
    1. The language, the tone and the context. It's too good, though many similar e-mails from other scammers have very broken English.
    2. Payment by check from a third party, in this case a 'debtor in the US'. They purport to have someone in the US that owes them money. This enables them to justify sending a check drawn on a U.S. bank even though they are from a foreign country.
    3. Check drawn for a large amount more than the sales price of the item (HUGE RED FLAG!)
    4. They want your phone number so they can call and pressure you constantly about sending the "excess funds" to them.

I think it's common sense that very few people from overseas will buy a common item for sale in the U.S. And to me, the language they use is pretty apparent, though the e-mail that I've used here is one of the better ones. Most of these e-mails come from people sitting in internet cafés, who's native language is not English, trying to find some sucker, dumb enough or stupid enough to fall for this. Here is an example:
    "HI
    top the day to you, i saw your advert on the internet ,I am interested
    in buying your bike so pls mail back on detail to know if it is still
    available or not, when replying this mail i will like you to send the
    pics and the price for it.
    i look forward to your reply soonest.
    best regards.
    J.ovie."
    and another....
    "Hello Friend,
    I get to find your ITEM for sale and i'm willing to buy,I will need you to get back to me concerning the least price,present condition,and the pic.At present i'm located in England so i will be shipping out of states through my shipper.I will take care of the shipping and any cost that may occur in getting it to my destination.As of payment,i will instruct my client that resides in the USA to get payment sent to you in which it will be of eccess
    funds so that it could take care of the shipping bills ,you will have to send the difference on the check to my shipper ask and when due so that it will enable them to arrange a date with you as to come for the pick up.
    Thanks."

If you have an item for sale and get a few of these e-mails, they will become very evident to you. But, if you have ever shipped a bike you know it's not an easy chore. Shipping a bike overseas would be a very large chore. Personally I wouldn't even consider it. The only reason I pay attention to these e-mails is that I want their check, to add to my collection!

Nov 2002

Angry Just got the scam too for my bike

I almost bit until I got the same exact message from another guy. Good thing I checked here before anything happened (dang, should've known better but I guess I still have hope for humanity):

From "clark james"

Hello,
    Also i will want you to know that my mode of payment is with a
    certified chasiers check which i believe is the best way of payment.
    If you are ok with that you can get back to me so that we can conclude
    on payment.
    Regard..
    Clarkjames...

Hello Mike,
    Thanks for the info you gave me,its really my chioce.Really is what i
    have been seraching for for the last 6 months.Thanks for the pics also
    is just too lovely inshort i cant wait to see it.Pls help me take good
    proper care of it cos i belive by now its mine.But right now is new
    year and i can see that i finanaly got one.
    Really i want you to pls send more pics if available and if not
    not to worry.
    Also i will buy it and i will want to know the price, for that
    and all i needed is ur assurance that is mine as from now cos am higly
    eager in seeint it pls dont respond to anybody again on this boat cos i
    am really ok with all the condition.
    Pls as for the shipping i will handle that myself i shall
    contact my shipping agent to handle it.As for the payment am paying with a
    certified cashiers check which i belive is the best way and its really
    conviniet for me an d if u are ok with that get back to me today so that
    we could conclude on the payment.
    I'm from Sydney,I live by the sea side here in Australia.
    I work as a Businessman,I always come my home in every 4 Months and
    travel back to my place of Work in Berlin.
    I am really glad that you want me to get the bike and i will be
    happy also when i get it really i am really eager to see it .
    Thank wait to your email today
    Regard...
    Clark..

From "adrian cox"

Hello,
    i came accros your ad and i am really intrested in geting it.
    Also send me the pics if it is available and give ne your last price.
    Also i will want you to know that my mode of payment is with a
    certified chasiers check.
    If you are ok with that you can get back to me so that we can
    conclude on payment.
    Regard..
    Adrian Cox...

Great examples

Great examples of typical Nigerian scam e-mails. Note the use of some common words/phrases: 'mode', 'cos', 'pls', 'last price', 'conclude on', 'ok with'. These are used in many of the e-mails I've received, which leads me to believe that there is something like a "school" that teaches these guys how to do this. I believe this "school" charges these fine folks for the 'lessons' and probably provides, for a charge, the counterfeit cashiers checks.

So back to my emphasis in other postings; play along with these guys, make them spend their money for nothing, scam them!

Apr 2004

Sama Deal

I just got the same exact messages from the same guy. "Clark James". Bummer! Stay Away !!!

Apr 2004

Question Scam the Scammers

I'll play along. I just got the same exact messages as above. How do you think to go about this. Ask for the mone order and then take it to the bank and tell them what happened? How do I then deal with their "Shipping Agent" ??

Ti me up
    Fair enough...

Owen,

Click the classifieds section and there are warnings on the left nav bar about various common scams going around. These are pretty common. After awhile, anyone who buys or sells learns to recognize them. The success of the scams depends on new people not being familiar with it, of course. I like the idea about playing along with the scammers, but I've started including a line in my eBay listings (I sell things pretty regularly) referring to the scam hoping that people who aren't familiar with it will see it and lodge it in their minds.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

Diesel
    Apr 2004

Talking

Here's a guy that has fun with these scammers..talk about payback!

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

I think they ask for pics to make the impression that they are a valid buyer. After all who wouldn't ask for a pic of the item in which they are interested?

Feb 2004
    This is the first time I'm seeing the overseas Ebay scams, but I've noticed so many other Ebay scams over the past coupla years...

Anyway, what I'm trying to figure out is- why so many repeated requests for pictures? Do you suppose they later use the pics and selling info you provided to set up their own fake auction for the same bike? I can't think of any other reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Angry I fell for it...

Yup, probably the biggest idiot in internet land...I was selling a set of Zipp 303's to pay my last months rent...pretty desperate...guy offered me 100 over what I was asking with the whole scam set in place...the guy even called me about 6 times...when I got the check the bank told me all was well so I figured what the hell and wired him the money. Bounced back as counterfit and now I am a college student with rent due and -5000.00 in my checking account. Fun times, anyone here have any high paying internship available for a business admin cyclist? Willing to travel. Be careful everyone!

May 2004

I experienced the same scam

Someone tried the same scam on me. Offered my asking price for the bike plus $500 for my troubles of wiring the balance of the $6,850 cashiers check to his "shipping agent". Very sketchy. I brought the check to my bank and they confirmed my suspicion that it was not real. Look out for these deals! I reported it through this site to the IFC, hopefully he wasted some money to send the check and he goes to jail!

Feb 2004

U.S. or overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by ngiachin
    Yup, probably the biggest idiot in internet land...I was selling a set of Zipp 303's to pay my last months rent...pretty desperate...guy offered me 100 over what I was asking with the whole scam set in place...the guy even called me about 6 times...when I got the check the bank told me all was well so I figured what the hell and wired him the money. Bounced back as counterfit and now I am a college student with rent due and -5000.00 in my checking account. Fun times, anyone here have any high paying internship available for a business admin cyclist? Willing to travel. Be careful everyone!
    Was this "buyer" in the U.S. or overseas? Are there any problems anyone is aware of with accepting a cashiers check from a U.S. origin during a bike transaction?

Thanks...

May 2004

same guy

I just got a reply from the same guy using a different name. He must hit all the new ads.
    Same language and same bad spelling. Same scam!
    Anyone sell something successfully here?

Quote Originally Posted by temcdonald
    Posted a bike this week and have received several of these messages:

Hello,
    Also i will want you to know that my mode of payment is with a certified
    chasiers check which i believe is the best way of payment.
    If you are ok with that you can get back to me so that we can conclude on
    payment.
    Regard..
    clarkjames...

I guess this is nothing more than an FYI. Thanks.

Jun 2004

Scam the h*** outta of these scammers

Guys,

Here is a good one for laughs... I literally couldn't stop laughing for until about 1 hour after reading this cool story about some guys' P-p-powerbook. The link to the story is below:

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/files/thepowerbook.pdf

Perhaps we should pull out this stunt on those scammers. Might as well stuff an old, rusty huffy that is taped together with duct tape (you can get it for free or at a garage sale for $5.00) in the box and shove it up in the a$$ of a dumba$$ scammer.

Hey, an idea to toss around for laughs & kicks.

-CAbiker

Jun 2003

I've got one of my own....

yeah, I played around and received a $3,000 cashier's check last week. he wanted $2400 back and the bike. yeah right, I'll get right on it Mathew Smith, aka Paul Brown (in charge of the check) aka Chidi Ohaeri, (shipping agent from, drum roll please, Nigeria). check didn't have a sig line on the back, heavy paper, but had watermarks. Still looked a little phony.

Jan 2003

Angry Another name, same story

Look out for Jordan Smith, exact same story as above!!

Jan 2003

Thumbs down Add one more

Stephen Gray, stephen_gray2000.

You' think these guys would catch on!!

Not Banned

report this stuff to the Treasury Dept.

it's international wire-fraud and counterfiet and the Secret Service (part if the Treasury Dept) I'm sure would love to know. I have a friend in the S.S. in Guam, I'm gonna give him a heads up.

Aug 2004

I like that scam the scammers!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    The 'cashiers' checks they send are counterfeits, some very good, some very bad. See the pics of my counterfeit check collection in this thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...15644#poststop If the check looks good enough, your bank will deposit the cash in your account. However when the check comes back in several weeks as "not good" the funds will be debited from your account. If the bank suspects that you knowingly deposited a counterfeit or fraudulent check, you could be prosecuted. Believe me, the bank will get their money, one way or another.

The main problem with this scam is not the depositing of the phony cashiers checks. It is that the checks are made out for an amount significantly higher than the sale price of your item; say $6,500.00 for a $1500.00 bike. The scammers want you to send the "excess funds" to their "shipper" via Western Union or MoneyGram. So the scenario is that you deposit this phony check, withdraw the amount of the excess funds, say $5,000.00 and send it off to wherever via Western Union. A couple of weeks later the check comes back as bad, the banks wants their $6,500.00 back, you've sent $5,000.00 of it that is untraceable, now what? You're out the money!!! And if by chance you've sent them the bike, well then you're doubly screwed.

Now to a point I've made many times on these forums regarding this type of scam. I strongly encourage all of you to play along, as if these thieves were legitimate buyers, and get them to send you their cashiers checks. It cost them about $55.00 to send the checks to you from Nigeria via FedEx Express or other courier service. Plus whatever costs they incur buying these checks from the people that make them.

If enough of us do this, maybe the many dollars they spend for no returns will encourage them that this is not a profitable operation for them. In other words: LET'S SCAM THE SCAMMERS!
    VERY VALID POINT! We can do some thing about these scammers, and we have evidence should there be anything anyone can do about it. Have a great day!