Is it a scam? check here for typical examples. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just Riding Along

Wow - what a coincidence

I just got the same "offer" from Perry Yung too.

Another tip off was the "sent" time on the e-mail. It was 4:58 a.m. Eastern DST. How many legitimate East Coast buyers are sending bike offers over the internet at 5 o'clock in the morning?

Same exact message; Same exact conclusion.

Too Bad for you Perry....
    Last edited by KeeponTrekkin; 10-03-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    Bikes are like bottles of beer; as soon as you get one, you want another.....

RoadBikeReview Member

here's one

Hello Seller,
    I saw your advert, and i'm interested in buying the Trek 2200 from you . how much is your last price?
    email me at [email protected]

RoadBikeReview Member

another one

Roval Rapide Star Carbon Clinsher Wheelset Campy

Hello Seller,
    I saw your advert of the Bike for sale, i want you to know that i'm interested in buying it and i'll be making the shipping from you as soon as you receive your Payment from me, I will contact the shipping company so I will like you to provide me your following details that I will need to make the Payment to you through cashier's check and i will also wait till the cashier's check clears in your account.
    Your full name on cashier's check
    Home address..
    State..& Post code...
    country....
    Home number.......
    Cell Number....
    Amount......

I will like you to mail back to me as soon as you receive this message then I will let you know when the Payment will be made out to your following address, I will be looking forward to your urgent response as soon as possible Albert.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Sounds Good!

I really hate to let this "great opportunity" go! I mean, he is highly much interested and everything and he trusts me. Also, I would be getting $3500 for something I was only asking $1400 for.
    But he is only going to allow $100 for running around. I thought the current running around rate in these scams was more like $400. I refuse to be suckered by a cheapskate!

"Hello, How are you doing today? thanks for the quick response.i will
    like to let you know that am highly much interested in buying this
    item and am okay with the price and present condition of the item.the
    most convinience way of payment for this item will be through a
    reputable bank certified check or cashier check from a trust worthy
    client of mine.As for the shippment of the item that will be done
    after the payment as been cleared by your bank and you have the fund
    in your account,I will make the client issue out an overpayment of
    $3,500 which would be the shipping cost of this item and other items
    that have bought in your area cos am a very busy man..i have got
    little time to check emails,i know i can trust you with all this and
    the money.sowhen you have the fund cleared in your bank account you
    will have an extra sum of $100 for your running around and you will
    have the rest of the fund sent to the shipper via the money gram or
    western union in order for the pick up to come up at your residence
    asap after deducting your own amount plus the extra $100.so i will
    like to have the following...
    1)The full name to be on the check
    2)The street address and the state
    3)your zipcode
    4)Home and cell phone numbers
    My client will issue out an overpayment to you via the UPS courier,i
    will need this info from you asap inorder for the payment to be issued
    asap.till i read for the details..have a blissful day...And also you
    can contact my shipping company forn more details via
    [email protected]...
    Thanks"

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fflyr
    I really hate to let this "great opportunity" go! I mean, he is highly much interested and everything and he trusts me. Also, I would be getting $3500 for something I was only asking $1400 for.
    But he is only going to allow $100 for running around. I thought the current running around rate in these scams was more like $400. I refuse to be suckered by a cheapskate!

"Hello, How are you doing today? thanks for the quick response.i will
    like to let you know that am highly much interested in buying this
    item and am okay with the price and present condition of the item.the
    most convinience way of payment for this item will be through a
    reputable bank certified check or cashier check from a trust worthy
    client of mine.As for the shippment of the item that will be done
    after the payment as been cleared by your bank and you have the fund
    in your account,I will make the client issue out an overpayment of
    $3,500 which would be the shipping cost of this item and other items
    that have bought in your area cos am a very busy man..i have got
    little time to check emails,i know i can trust you with all this and
    the money.sowhen you have the fund cleared in your bank account you
    will have an extra sum of $100 for your running around and you will
    have the rest of the fund sent to the shipper via the money gram or
    western union in order for the pick up to come up at your residence
    asap after deducting your own amount plus the extra $100.so i will
    like to have the following...
    1)The full name to be on the check
    2)The street address and the state
    3)your zipcode
    4)Home and cell phone numbers
    My client will issue out an overpayment to you via the UPS courier,i
    will need this info from you asap inorder for the payment to be issued
    asap.till i read for the details..have a blissful day...And also you
    can contact my shipping company forn more details via
    [email protected]...
    Thanks"
    I dare you to send him the address-

Tim Geithner
    c/o
    B.H. O'Bama
    1400 Pennsylvania Ave.
    Washington, D.C.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Now that's funny!

Would he have to pay the upcoming 90% bonus tax on the extra? Oh, I forgot, taxes may be a problem.

May 2009
    Hey Admin,
    This thread and warnings should be placed at the top of the online Submission Form for placing new ads on this board. Because it could really save a lot of people from falling for them.

ALL,
    I just got two e-mails from two different parties in the last 2 weeks after I posted my wife's bike for sale. Both asked for photos and the price. Which made me suspicious since my listing had really good photos and the price was obviously listed. I conversed with them not quite knowing it was a scam until I found this thread.

I received a mysterious FedEx today from Florida but the check inside was generic looking (like the kind you can print up yourself from OfficeMax) and said it was coming from the State Treasurer's office in Columbia SC?! No way is this a legit check and even if it was, no way the State Treasurer's office is sending a check for a private transaction (that would be most likely illegal and a huge ethics violation.)

Here are their e-mails. Their english has gotten better but it's still a bit broken as you can see:

>> [email protected]

On Jun 16, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Dan Bulter wrote:

hello,
    How was your day,I am okay with the asking price of the item
    and i will like to inform you that the
    item will be pick up from you and that will be handle by my client private shipping company,So to explain to you that you will be receiving the check of $1,500.0 and that will be include your item fees and the private shipping company charges,So once you get the check you are
    to get it cashed that same day and deduct your item money
    out of it and get the
    rest money transfer to my client private shipping company So that they can use
    it to pick up the item from you and also to clear my client goods at airport.So kindly get back to me now?? with your contact address including your phone number ok? so that the check can be send out to you asap....OK Get back to me asap now

Adam Lambert [email protected]
    On Jun 23, 2009, at 7:50 AM, Adam Lambert wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for the availability of the item for sale and i just have few questions to ask you and i hope you answer me correctly because i will really appreciate you to answer my questions correctly so as to proceed with the deal.

1.Can you tell the present state of the item?

2.Can you send me more pictures of the item?

3.Are you the original owner of the item?

4.What's your final asking price?

Kindly let me know all this asap.

Best Regard
    And after my response:

On Jun 23, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Adam Lambert wrote:

Hey,

Thank you for your response,good to hear you are the original owner and Thanks for explaining things to me in orderly manner.I am very much satisfied with the condition,pictures and price so far and i do wish to finalize this transaction in a timely fashion.My mode of payment will be in form of a cashier's check and it will be sent to you without delay and do ensure to let me know as soon as you receive the payment.I will bear the shipping expenses and the shipping/freight company will pick up the unit from your location and have it shipped to its final destination and The pickup will be done by a private freight shipping company and they will be responsible for the handling,pick up,shipping and others because An added amount will be included along with the payment which is needed to cover the shipping expenses ,secure the shipment procedures and have UNIT shipped without delay.Please let me know if any questions meanwhile,I be will send you the shipping instructions and informations in my subsequent emails,Get back to me as soon as possible with your full contact name and address and as well as your phone number so that payment can be issued and send to you but meanwhile,i just want to know if i can trust you with the shipping fee which you will have to send to the private shipping company who will be responsible for the shipment of the unit to it's final destination.

I await your response.

Best Regard.
    Last edited by MoondogNY; 07-02-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Jul 2009

Some other Tell Tell, or Tale Tale or Tail Tail signs

They want to hurry you along with a buy, they will offer you a cheque, out of country usually if they say that. I had someone who is identifying themselves as [email protected] contact me for a listing that was put on the site yesterday immediately inquiring about my "car". Wanted to send me a cheque, why was I selling it, etc. Uh, no. It ain't a car, K? Then he sends another one to me asking about the bike today. And, that is after I have told him no thanks Mr. Scammer.

I went through this when I tried to sell on Craig's list, the escrow offers, quick offers, gotta buy it right now for my friend in the states, I am gonna send you a "cheque" but he is going to pick it up and blah blah.

Did not bite. But, it can be tempting if you need the moolah.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks to everyone who posted about this kind of scam. I have recieved two messages in the last 3 weeks very similar to what is posted here.

They first contacted me by asking to send a few current pictures of the bike. The secdond message asked a few semi relivant questions about the bike I listed. The third email is pasted below;

James

Thanks for getting back to me. I will offer you $800 for the bike and i would love to proceed with the purchase of it & my mode of payment will be by a check and for this transaction to be fast/effective i will urge you to get back to me with your full name, mailing address and phone number as stated below so that the check can be made payable to you

Full Name :
    Contact Address :
    Home Phone Number :
    Mobile Phone Number :

The amount on the check will include the cost of the bike & the shipping fees which will be payed to our transporters for them to make preparation to come to get the bike transported down to me. A check for $3000 will be made payable to you and bear it in mind that my transporters will come down to your house or the designated address where they can get the bike picked-up. So you don't need to be worried as i have a good and reliable transporter that is capable of handling the transportation process. As soon as you do receive the check you will deduct your selling cost and remit the remainder to my transporters so that they come for the pick-up

And for further proceedings i will be waiting to receive your full details as stated above

So i will like to hear from you at your earliest convenient time so the transaction can continue

Once again i will be looking forward to hear from you

Regards
    John

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

What about this one? Offering to PayPal but shipping company

This potential buyer says they'll pay PayPal, but the English is odd, they say they're "on work inspection" to Mexico and they mention a pick-up company. What made me especially leery is the mention that the pick-up money would be included in the payment. Is this some form of overpayment scam?

Quote Originally Posted by potential buyer
    Hi ,
    Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and let me know the price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by PayPal.I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible as am on work inspection to Mexico at the moment and I do not have access to a phone,but if you have more pictures, might want to have a good look.I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after funds has been received as i have other properties to be moved alongside with yours.All i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payment and then I will make
    arrangement for pick up.I will be expecting your email.
    Other than that I can't quite put my finger on what is "scammy" about this -- unusually, they're offering to use PayPal -- but the English is definitely weird, they have asked zero questions about my bike, not even given any indication in the email text that they know what they're buying, and asked the price when it's clearly stated in the ad.

Should I string them along to try to figure out what the scam is?
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 03-30-2011 at 07:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I did string him along. Tied to prompt him to at least give SOME indication that he even know what item he was pretending to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    OK, sounds like you know exactly what you want. ANY questions or concerns? Fit can be critical on an item like this, so if you have any questions please ask. Just want to make sure you know what you're getting, as this is a fairly expensive item. Also let me know if you're interested in any of the parts swaps mentioned in the ad.

Since you asked what the price is, does that mean you're offering an amount other than the price in the ad? You mention that "pick-up money" will be included in my payment -- can you explain that? I'm not sure why you'd pay me money for pick-up when you're making the shipping arrangements. Normally I ship UPS or FedEx and include their actual shipping cost in the final price.

Let me know if you have any concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by bogus buyer
    i want you to get back to me with your price3 and your PayPal id so i can make the payment asap.
    What you want may be at odds with what I want. I want you to demonstrate that you have some interest in or knowledge of the product I'm selling, to help make sure it is a good match for you and goes to a good home.

The price is listed in my ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bogus buyer
    Okay let me know your price as i said already so i can make the payment asap,and i want you to send me some more of the pictures.
    Price is in the ad. So are the pictures. I don't have any others besides the ones in the ad.

Also, you haven't answered my question about why you want to pay ME for "the pick-up company" when you're making the shipping arrangements, and you haven't answered my questions about whether you understand what you're "buying".

Be forewarned that if you have any intentions of overpaying me and then expecting a refund, I don't play that game.
    No response on that last one, so maybe he gave up.

I'm still not sure what this guy's scam IS -- he keeps demanding a dollar amount and my paypal id -- or how he could scam me knowing just that information. But he's clearly not a serious buyer and trying to pull something.

banned
    Aug 2011
    It is definitely a scam!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Ansaarbike - scam!

Hi.

Just want to warn everybody against the “company” ansaarbike, ansarbikeltd or ansaarbikeonline – the name varies. It is a scam, so dont buy anything from them and dont trust “sales manager” Eric Oksana.

Research shows that earlier the “company’s” name was renadenstoreonline.com and the sales managers name was ‘Carl’. Just whatch out for bad english in emails and REALLY cheap prices. Also whatch out for this number: +447045766119‏

If the number appears, then stay away.

Check out stayawayfromansaarbike.wordpress.com

Kind Regards

Martin, DK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Pharos Parcel Scam

Hello I just wanted to let everyone know there is a scam where the person post a bicycle on Craigslist. He states that he is from the states and is in the UK working for a relief organization and had to carry the bike with him. He states that he can sell the bike through a intermediary company Pharos Parcel (a legit company) but he has scammed there web page and he sends you a confirmation and ask that you wire the cash to a David Bendell. Needless to say I was scammed. I contacted the actual Pharos Parcel company and they stated that apparently this person has been doing this in Canada and has now moved to the US. He also is doing the same thing with electronics and musical equipment. DO NOT WIRE MONEY TO THIS COMPANY!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Pharos Parcel Scam

Hello I just wanted to let everyone know there is a scam where the person post a bicycle on Craigslist. He states that he is from the states and is in the UK working for a relief organization and had to carry the bike with him. He states that he can sell the bike through a intermediary company Pharos Parcel (a legit company) but he has scammed there web page and he sends you a confirmation and ask that you wire the cash to a David Bendell. Needless to say I was scammed. I contacted the actual Pharos Parcel company and they stated that apparently this person has been doing this in Canada and has now moved to the US. He also is doing the same thing with electronics and musical equipment. DO NOT WIRE MONEY TO THIS COMPANY!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

possible scam

I have a merckx ti for sale in the classified. Looks like I got a scam offer thats
    similar to some of the previous examples.
    Here was his response.

Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Road bike component reviews
    Date: Mar 18, 2012 9:27 AM

Thanks for the response,I want you to know that i am satisfied with the conditions of this item looking at it again on the site,also i want you to know that will be making payment of $1400 for it,I will need your contact information so as to mail out the payment to you soon. I'd like to inform you that an excess amount will be added to the payment which will be sent out to you which will be for the mover that will come for the pick up of this item! so i will like to know if i can entrust you that you will forward the funds to the mover for the pick up i will await your payment information.
    Regards
    Harris

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetree View Post
    I have a merckx ti for sale in the classified. Looks like I got a scam offer thats
    Here was his response.

Thanks for the response,I want you to know that i am satisfied with the conditions of this item looking at it again on the site,also i want you to know that will be making payment of $1400 for it,I will need your contact information so as to mail out the payment to you soon. I'd like to inform you that an excess amount will be added to the payment which will be sent out to you which will be for the mover that will come for the pick up of this item! so i will like to know if i can entrust you that you will forward the funds to the mover for the pick up i will await your payment information.
    Regards
    Harris
    Scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetree View Post
    Here was his response.

Regards
    Harris
    Just today, I got the same type of email from this moron.

What a crock o' sheite this guy is!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

scams

bicycleszonetrade.com frauds
    also seling mobiles lap tops i phones
    i hav been cond sent $1150 for a trek remedy
    so please tel your freands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Hi!
    Does anybody know if this site is a scam, fake one?

http://www.cheap-bicycles-shop.com/d...er-p-6340.html

I was looking for a DMR Mech Verter, and that came up.
    I asked a question, they replied in 24 ours. The funny is that they have over 7000 pieces in stock of almost everything.

scamadviser.com gives it 58% to legal.
    anyone? thx

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Too many items at too good a price and only a 58% chance of being legal? Don't send your money son.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    Just got this scam from "danielle karle." Looks more legit than other scams I've seen.

Hi
    Thank you for your respond .good to know this items are still available for sale.i want you to be aware i have a courier company that would be coming for the pickup. so you don't have to bother yourself shipping this items i will be making payment through PayPal because my bank account is linked to my PayPal account and PayPal is a secured method of payment for both the buyer and seller.kindly email me a PayPal money request invoice direct to my verified PayPal email which is the same as my email address [email protected] to proceed with the payment.looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Cheers
    Danielle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    I had a "buyer" contact me asked a bunch of good questions

Q#1. How long have you owned it?
    Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? If not how many previous owner?
    Q#3.Why are you selling it?
    Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of conditions it?
    Q#5. Any more available photo?
    Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
    Q#7. Do you accept a (Pay Pal)as a mode of payment.

Why he has to ask how much I am asking for it seems odd if the price is in the ad. he wants to pay via paypal. Thats great but he doesn't want me to ship it and his agent/moving company pick it up. Just to confirm my suspicions I called paypal with some questions. If I receive payment from paypal and I release the bike to his agent then he can say he never received it and dispute the transaction and he will win according to Paypal.

He got my contact info through this site. I looked and didn't see my email listed anywhere. The email from him shows his address not anything from Road Bike Review, is that normal when you contact a seller?

I love his last email

"I have told you on my several emails that i will arrange for a private moving company that will come for the pickup for safety delivery and insurance cos am presently working offshore. "

I am aware of overpayment scams I haven't heard of people paying with paypal and picking up the item in person or with an agent and then disputing the transaction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I usually answer all the questions for something else I don't even have for sale, like a guitar or compressor. And a few I do not know and I do not know what you mean, can you rephrase the question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    I asked him what he would be using the Surly Long Haul Trucker for Downhill or Cross country. He replied downhill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast