Advice for climbing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    Appreciate any suggestions to get better here. Thanks!
    Since you said any suggestions, have you seen these?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Since you said any suggestions, have you seen these?
    Ofcourse, love GCN vids. I particularly like the video where Si climbs up Jones St in SanFran which is apparently a 30% grade and gives the pro-tip of sitting on the nose of the saddle if sitting while tackling a steep climb. Will try to put it to practice and see how that goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    I am 5' 8" and weigh 143 lbs
    If I had an extra 15 lbs on my frame there is no way I could climb at the pace that I do now

Old enough to remember ..
    Quote Originally Posted by gfz84 View Post
    I use my Garmin to broadcast my HR to my Wahoo and it's one of the display fields on my main screen. I honestly don't look at HR too much during the ride but only post ride wherein I usually average about 140ish overall. ...................
    You don't have to!
    There are several apps that give one the audio warning if maxHR is exceeded.
    That's when I easy off to keep it quiet and check how steep that section of the 18km climb is.
    Yesterday's 16% was a true surprise.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Yes, there are technical details you can add once youíre on top of your game.

Keep your hands on the bar tops, holding them lightly. Donít waste energy by squeezing hard.

Rotate your hips forward, keeping your spine straight. The objective is to open your diaphragm to maximize air intake.

Slide back in the saddle a little, sit bones right at the back of the saddle. Concentrate on pedaling from one oíclock to seven oíclock in order to apply power through the top of the arc with no dead spot.

When you bog down and want to stand to regain your cadence, first shift to a harder gear, or even go up two. Shift back down once you sit again, or you might even find youíve found a new rhythm in the harder gear.

A couple of exercises from Joe Frielís Training Bible:

Hill repeats. On a six to eight percent hill climb for 30 to 40 seconds in a gear you can just hold at 70 rpm. Repeat 3 to 8 times with 2 to 4 minutes rest in between.

Cruise intervals. On a 2 to 4 percent hill climb at anaerobic threshold for 6 to 12 minutes. Stay seated, concentrating on smooth pedal stroke and minimal upper body motion. Do 3 to 5 reps, resting for 25 percent of the previous intervalís time in between (i.e. if it was six minutes rest 90 seconds).

You donít say whether you have a power meter or heart rate monitor. Power meters are expensive, but provide the best way to target your exercises.

Heart rate monitors are not expensive and provide a very valuable way to work out. With a little bit of work (or $150 at the local university sports science lab) you can find your workout zones and youíll know for certain whether you have something left to give next time Mr. Beer Belly comes up along side.

HTH
    Really good advise here with emphasis on the bolded comments. You can also learn to pace yourself paying attention to your breathing, but power meter's and HR monitors are better until you really get in touch with your breathing / PE assessments. I would also add, on long climbs learn to rotate muscle groups by alternating between standing, sitting, forward and back on the saddle.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Relaxing as much as possible while climbing is great advice.

Another is pacing. It was the number 1 thing I had to learn to become a better climber.

Also every climb is different and how you respond to it is different but mostly depending on your strengths and also your condition when you start the climb. A climb early in a ride will most likely be much easier than if you did the same climb late in the ride.

In group rides I learned that most people go way too hard early in most climbs longer than roughly half a mile or .75km. and over 5%. Once I realized that, it was like a revelation. It never gets old passing people who take off like rockets at the start when you get midway or 3/4 of the way up a climb.

So I started paying attention to my body's response in both how much my legs and lungs were hurting. Once I realized that, I started paying attention to my heart rate to measure my efforts - then when I got a power meter, it was even better/easier.

When I was riding competitively, I started to train my climbing strength, both seated and standing. I would do specific days where I would do repeats on 1.5 mile climb avg 7% with a 11% max section. Some days I would alternate high cadence and low cadence reps, standing only reps, seated only reps. Others were gearing ladders starting low to high back to low. As I got stronger, I would sometimes take a couple of extra water bottles for added weight - large 24 oz cameback bottles add around 1.5 lbs per bottle. It is also important to vary the climbs you train on to compensate for adaptation - if you have other climbs near you.

I'm not the best climber out there by any means (I never was built for it) but I significantly improved my climbing by training it specifically. I am still able to hold my own in the local worlds rides on the harder and longer climbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    you gotta do some intervals, like 8 min and 20 min intervals. 8 min intervals are good practice for short climb, like what you're doing. For longer climbs, do 20min int.

You want spin, c'mon nobody mashes these days. But spinning alone is not enough. You have to spin with FORCE. Spinning with force will take practice, lots of practice. The problem with mashing is that it won't last, then you'll burn out, then you'll now need to sit and go into a lower gear and spin... and here's is where you need to spin with force and not just free spin. I see lots of guys who spin but they're not spinning with force, so they're going no where. To be able to spin with force will take dedicated interval works.

for starter, go do some 8min intervals, at 80-90% effort, with a 2min rest between sets. Do at least 3 sets for each session. Don't go hard in the first set, i.e., don't "dig deep", because if you do then you won't be able to finish the last set. Remeber, this is training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12