RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

been off the bike for 6 months and looking to get back into biking shape

45 male, been of the bike for 6 months but i have been a little active and worked out, lost a few pounds. Past 6-8 weeks had a little pneumonia and sinus infections but over it and want to get back on the horse for the new year. I have an indoor trainer i use with zwift (or if anyone has another recommendation).

So my plan was to try and ride for the first few weeks 3-5 miles a day on the trainer and keep bumping it up every week along with weights. Does this sound like a plan that would work or am i better off getting on the trainer less days a week and going as long as i could?

Any recommendations or help is appreciated.

Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    3 to 5 miles isn't much time on a trainer - I would think in terms of time at intensity on the trainer not distance. My opinion, an hour is a good starting point for time pedaling on the trainer, at an endurance pace for your current level of fitness. Maybe alternate days between trainer and weights with one day off a week doing nothing (assuming the weights are not targeting leg muscles).
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    3 to 5 miles isn't much time on a trainer - I would think in terms of time at intensity on the trainer not distance. My opinion, an hour is a good starting point for time pedaling on the trainer, at an endurance pace for your current level of fitness. Maybe alternate days between trainer and weights with one day off a week doing nothing (assuming the weights are not targeting leg muscles).
    thank you for the reply! i guess you are right in regards to time, im assuming when most train they look at time and not miles?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think most people riding on a trainer think of time - on the road they may think of both, but time at intensity is what training plans are built on.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcjr View Post
    thank you for the reply! i guess you are right in regards to time, im assuming when most train they look at time and not miles?
    I use miles simply to play mind games with myself because watching a clock is torture while clicking off miles seems a bit more bearable. I know about how long it will take me to do x miles so I'm essentially going for time just measuring miles to take my mind of the torture of watching time.
    But miles is close to a useless measurement. Time isn't any better really. Both need to be looked at in conjunction with effort.