Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Best Insole for Cycling Shoes???

114K views 48 replies 38 participants last post by  9W9W 
#1 ·
Can anyone guide me on a good insole with proper arch support for my cycling shoes? My current pair just doesn't have the kind of arch support I need. Thank you!

#3 ·
I have been using Sidas Conform'able insoles for the past couple of years. The model I am using is the Bike+ Flashfit. The "Flashfit" means that they can be custom formed using an oven of some sorts, but they are also designed in a way to form to the foot under regular usage. When I got them a couple years ago they were only being marketed as self-form under usage.

www.sidas.com

#7 ·
I like the Specialized Body Geometry Insoles. Since I have relatively flat feet, I use the red-colored insoles.

#13 ·
I have some Sidi Genius 6 (or 5)? with the heel cup thing to keep your foot snug. Normal width, but Sidis seem to run narrow.

I had tried fitting both Sole insoles and the Specialized insoles in them, but they didn't fit. Now it seems I've been told that you need to trim the insoles (any add in ones) to fit them. Okay.

I have narrow feet and a medium level arch, was right in the middle on the Specialized pad.

I'm trying to decide between a few different insoles and weigh the feedback. I know everyone's foot is different, so this might be like trying to ask about saddles on the internet.

What color are you using in the Superfeet? Yellow seems to be the new grey and cycling specific?

Do any of you really love the Soles?

And some of you seem to like the esoles. Never seen those in person.

Seems like people like all different types, but just trying to gather some info as I might have to end up ordering them off the internet.

Thanks!

#14 ·
www.yoursole.com -- I love mine.

These are heat moldable--- pop them in a 200 degree F oven for about 2 minutes, pop them in your shoe, then your feet, and then it will mold to your feet.

#15 ·
Another vote for ...

Specialized Body Geometry insoles/footbeds. I'm using the footbeds in Sidi Genius 6.6 shoes.

Before, I didn't know, "what I didn't know".

The Specialized footbeds are all around more comfortable and supportive than the stock Sidi insoles. I have mildly flat feet.

#18 ·
anvil78 said:
These sound like they'd work for me. After heating them up and putting them in your shoes did you stand in them or ride in them?

Thanks
I stood in them.

#19 ·
Really want to try the thin Soles for the bike shoes. I use the regular ones for my everyday shoes which are skate shoes and it is amazing how much better my legs, feet and back feel after being on my feet all day. One of my main photo gigs is shooting concerts on cement floors, running all over the venue from 5pm-3am shooting with no breaks. I had the stock insoles in the shoes and my legs hurt badly for 3 days and it was difficult to sleep with the leg pain.

I also use the Soles in my mountaineering boots and snowboard boots with the same above results.

I have a very high arch and am always on the balls of my feet when walking, and these are the best insoles that I have had, even better than a few orthotics that I have tried.

HIGHLY recommended.

#20 ·
Who would have thought mass produced insoles would cost $50 and up. Most of the money looks like it went into the snazzy graphics on the fabric cover, the actual insole probably costs less than $1 to make. Gotta love this stuff!

I use miracle foot insoles 2 oz. from walmart the green ones....they don't make these anymore, but luckly I bought 10 pairs for $5 a pair. They completely got rid of my hotspots. The newer blue miracle foot insoles are cheap and feel horrible.

#21 ·
...if you want to mold the insoles, I guess more specific to the biking shoes....

you probably need a trainer to put the bike on (to support it).... and do one insole at a time

where you pop the warm insole into the shoe, clip in, and do a downstroke and hold your leg still for about a minute or 2, then repeat for the other insole.

but... haven't had issues with standing in them per SOLE's instructions when I first fitted them to my Specialized MTB Sport shoes, then used them in my cleats when I play softball (beer league) and football (trying to turn it into a beer league)... then my Northwave road bike shoes...

#23 ·
z3phrn said:
Can anyone explain the purpose of insoles in the context of bicycle riding? I realize this comes off as sarcastic, but I assure you that I'm just a beginner.
Primarily same purpose as an aftermarket insole on non-cycling shoes ... people's feet have different support requirement: low arch, high arch, etc etc.

#24 ·
tom_h said:
Primarily same purpose as an aftermarket insole on non-cycling shoes ... people's feet have different support requirement: low arch, high arch, etc etc.
Exactly. You really notice on the long rides. Between insoles and cleat placement, there's a lot you can do in this area to increase efficiency and decrease pain.

I've been using Sidi shoes with Specialized insoles and a wedge to change the angle at which my foot comes down, as well as having my cleats fitted using many methods from the Specialized cleat fit system. The entire package has basically eliminated the pain I was having in my right knee and in my feet.

#25 ·
I've tried a bunch over the years - yoursole, aline, shimano moldable shoes, specialized BG shoes, and esholes efit. The question of what would work best for you depends, I think, on your arch height. I have a high arch, and the only ones that provide the support I need are the esoles. They are also the most adjustable - they come with 4 different arch heights and two sized metatarsal pads, so allow you to do some experimenting to dial in a good fit. Without enough arch support I get pain in my big toes and some numbness. It's not a cleat issue or a knee tracking issue (I have specialized bg shoes with a forefoot tilt built into them). With the arch support my foot feels engaged with the shoe through the whole pedal revolution and has a good platform for the power phase of the stroke. I no longer feel my toes clenching since the foot is supported by the arch. The esole arch is the sturdiest of the bunch (it is semi-rigid). My rundown on the others:

heat moldable - not convinced this does much in a low volume, soft footbed. Doesn't raise the arch.

alines - way too much volume. maybe the newer ones are better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.