Core Muscle Training
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Core Muscle Training

Just completed my first summer of biking at 44. Looking to start next year in better shape. It sounds like working on core muscles would be a good idea in the off season?

Is there a good reference around tailored to biking and core muscle training? I would be starting from scratch so I would need a detailed plan. Have some minor sciatica which is another reason to look into this.

Thanks in advance.

Anti-Hero
    Your core muscles are just like any other muscles in your body. If you want them to get stronger, pick 2-3 exercises that you perform 2-3 days per week using <20 reps and progressive resistance (when it gets easy, you add more resistance).

I'm a big fan of situps w/a dumbell behind the head, cable twists, and doing medicine ball throws w/a partner on a decline bench.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    CTS has a core training workout that seems pretty good. My core is so out of shape that I don't get very far with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    What is "CTS"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Carmichael Training Systems. DVD workout.

waterproof*
    no DVD's necessary, unless you got the $ and it's your thing.

a bit of time w/ the google and image search and youtube will yield lots and lots of how-to and what-to info.

also look into yoga - many of the poses are core killers and great for the structural problems that cyclists tend to have.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Velonews had a pretty good yoga-based workout in their October 2009 issue.

Anti-Hero
    Overhead squats are pretty awesome for core training as well. Bonus- your leg strength and balance will improve, too!
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    no DVD's necessary, unless you got the $ and it's your thing.

a bit of time w/ the google and image search and youtube will yield lots and lots of how-to and what-to info..
    Exactly. And some of the core exercises from youtube are very motivating.

Seriously, you'll find more exercises than you could ever do, but you can also vary them over the winter.

I've narrowed my winter strength training to the following:

1- arm row
    Standing dumbell press
    Prone plank
    Bird dog
    Ball crunch
    Back extension
    Leg raises (this is what I'm doing - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gHipRaise.html
    Step-ups/lunge

This site http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html is an excellent resource for looking at alternative exercises for muscle groups.

I bought a Swissball that I use for my ballcrunch. You can also find many other core exercises using the ball. If you get one, be sure it is the right size!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Read a good review on the DVD and may try it. Never done the DVD thing before but may be a good place to start for a workout. Found this book also. Kind of like to have a reference.

Strength Training for Cyclists Book, 2nd Edition
    posted by Editor - November 21, 2008 - 4pm EST
    Fresh on the heels of their Strength Training for Triathletes book, VeloPress has released an updated 2nd edition of their Weight Training for Cyclists.

Intended to build core, leg and upper body strength so you can last longer and be stronger on the bike, this revised edition contains all-new illustrations for the exercises, a new chapter on stretching and warming up and expanded coverage of core strength and lower body exercises.

Itís written by Ken Doyle, a USCF licensed cycling coach and NATA certified exercise physiologist, and Eric Schmitz, who is similarly certified and the creator of two strength and conditioning DVDs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    You might want to look here also.

http://www.newton-sports.com/index.p...-and-dvds.html

Check out Harvey's credentials.

From his information, I learned as much about what NOT to do as anything else.

In other words, exercises you can do but don't really need to spend your time on, at least for cycling.

I also think he understands "strength training" also. At least it makes sense to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Is the Quick Series Guide comprehensive enough? The $100 package seem a bit much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dochoot
    Is the Quick Series Guide comprehensive enough? The $100 package seem a bit much.
    My hunch is "yes".

I agree the $100 package is a little overkill. Really - who needs a bag.

Go over to roadbikerider.com as they sell the $100 package. They have a preview video and the table of contents from the book. That'll give you some ideas.

leon2982
    May 2007

Weight Training for Cyclists

Best decision I ever made in training for cycling. Ken Doyle and Eric Schmitz. Second edition. Retails for $19. Just enough to really make a difference and really works on cycling-specific areas. Can't say enough about how well thought out the book is and how cycling-specific the routines are.

Cycling Coach
    I find riding my bike does the trick.

Anti-Hero
    I'd beg to differ- I say at age 44, if he's not been on a consistent weight training program, that he's experienced a degree of age-related muscle atrophy that could easily be reversible though a well-designed resistance training program.
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    "Age related atrophy"?! and here I was feeling good about completing my first century ride.

Just kidding. I do appreciate the tips. Going to get the book and dvd to start with.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Actually, bone density preservation and injury rehab and prevention are why I do some core work in the winter. Certainly doesn't make me faster on the bike, but it helps in other ways.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by dochoot
    "Age related atrophy"?! and here I was feeling good about completing my first century ride.

Just kidding. I do appreciate the tips. Going to get the book and dvd to start with.
    Yep... it happens as testosterone levels drop when you get older, which can start as young as 30. Being active definitely helps, but without resistance training, it's inevitable. Like Coolhand says... even if it doesn't help you on the bike (which is a debate for 11ty billion other threads), it's still a good idea for other health-related reasons.
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Pilates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST
    I find riding my bike does the trick.
    maybe you should tell that Armstrong guy to stop spending so much time in the gym this winter...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Bodirocker - see ad at top left?

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Actually, bone density preservation and injury rehab and prevention are why I do some core work in the winter. Certainly doesn't make me faster on the bike, but it helps in other ways.
    How is core work going to help with bone mineral density?

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    maybe you should tell that Armstrong guy to stop spending so much time in the gym this winter...
    Yep - let's all do what Lance says he does.

It'll make you the next Lance.

Best core work for cyclists?
    - Sprints
    - Standing starts
    - Seated sprints & starts
    - Hill climbs
    - hard efforts out of saddle
    - hard efforts in saddle

Dec 2006
    And if you start drinking FRS ( just like Lance ) you will be racing and placing in the Grand Tours
    2nd place is just the 1st loser
    NCVC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast