Cycling and weight - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    bikeradar.com just posted an article about obesity and weight, and additionally put up a photo of former Argentinian soccer player Diego Maradona, which is simply horrifying. Below that photo is one of him from days gone by. I heard he's gotten or was thinking of getting his stomach stapled:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    No1 tip i now recommend is stop looking at the pros and worry about your own racing. They are the best few 100 riders in the world, the weight or height has little to do with our requirements. I see this similar to the huge dramas these days about girls/women trying to conform to the ultra skinny models, a girl who is physically bigger is simply not going to get that skinny. Im a little bit taller than contador and the same about the same weight, as of yet havnt seen myself on tv winning grand tours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I am 6'1 198lbs. Yea I like food and beer. My last power test I did a 26 minuteTT and averaged 321 (mean) 324 (norm) watts. I am slow, the course was rolling and did 21.7MPH on a road bike, no TT gear staying in the hoods. So, what do you think I could do if I lost say 10 pounds?
    I am not a die hard biker, just like staying in shape and biking is fun. But I just wonder what if...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Schmalts what's your body fat percentage?

If you're solid muscle you might not gain anything, but if you're carrying around 10-30 pounds of extra fat you'd be better off dumping it.

I'm 6'2" 163 at the momement. I tried gaining weight, but it actually slowed me down. I was spending more time doing squats and deadlifts, really trying to pack on more muscle. I felt like **** at my last crit after bumping my weight up only 5 pounds.

When I look at guys like Contador and his TT ability I'm in awe that such a skinny guy has that much power. Most of the guys around are thicker and have more muscle, they seem to do just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak
    It depends on what discipline you want to take up. If you want endurance, you train for it. If you want to be Cavendish you need to produce massive amounts of power in a very short time. The way to do this is to work on your explosive power which is commonly done in the weight room and weight training outside.

Lifting weight in the gym does not give you the ability to sprint all out for 300 m, after doing a final lap at or above your threshold. Specific training on the bike does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Not sure of my body fat. i do work out the upper body a little, mostly the guns as the wife likes them. I could lose 10-15 pounds of fat is my guess. any more would be tapping into other things, and my wife already says she does not want me getting any thinner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah women don't typically like the skinny cyclists body type.

Just last night I was told I look like Michael Jackson, of course I'm not that skinny and my legs have muscle, but my midsection is pretty much stripped of any fat and I still lift weights upper and lower body.

I'm guessing women like the idea of someone around big and strong to protect them, but I say screw it, the most important muscle is the heart and a trim body with low fat seems to be easier on the heart and other things. I feel better when I'm skinny, I'm more flexible and I feel more agile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by schmalts
    I am 6'1 198lbs. Yea I like food and beer. My last power test I did a 26 minuteTT and averaged 321 (mean) 324 (norm) watts. I am slow, the course was rolling and did 21.7MPH on a road bike, no TT gear staying in the hoods. So, what do you think I could do if I lost say 10 pounds?
    I am not a die hard biker, just like staying in shape and biking is fun. But I just wonder what if...

320 W for 26 minutes is pretty respectable. You'd do fine in a cat 4 race here in the midwest. If you lost 15 lbs or more you would be competing for a top placing in a race. As it is, a buddy of mine weighs about the same and puts out similar power numbers. He gets slaughtered on the hills but did win a State TT championship last year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    psh, forget what girls want. we're cyclists here...

I'm about the same weight radio to the OP. 143lbs/69.5in

Genetically I'm not sure if I can drop into sub 7% bodyfat, even with cutting glycogen stores. But I am carrying around I'd say a few (4?) lbs of bodyfat. I'm probably 8-10% bodyfat.

What should I do?
    Should I try to lose the last couple fat lbs and then eat at maintenance to slowly build?
    Or skip the fatloss?
    Or maybe even stay where I am; perhaps going up or down has no benefit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    The bottom line is to listen to your body. I have been a gym rat first, a runner, or a cyclist 2nd. At 180 lbs i am very strong and muscular. Now I am around 163 because I decided to put the bike first before the gym. At 52 I only have the energy to really do well at one. I have found that I am much better on the bike than I was at the gym. My goal for the coming year is to do the Death ride.
    Last year I lost too much weight, and found my self weaker on the bike.This year I am eating to feed the time and calories on the bike.You need to find the right balance for you.
    Miata 93LE
    System 6- Jet Black
    09 polished Langster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    If you want to lose weight without losing muscle you need to up your protein intake, keep your calories at their current level and slightly increase the workouts.

It's been shown that eating a high carb diet while trying to lose weight will cause you to lose your muscle at a faster rate than if you bump up the protein intake. You'll also recover faster, fight off illness better, and have less chance of overtraining if you keep the quality proteins coming.

M Sport
    Feb 2009
    Everyone is different. I believe that I read Miguel Inderain was 6'1" and 180#s. That's pretty big and as we all know he could climb pretty well. I checked out that 2 - 2.35 ratio for height to weight and I came up with 174# for 6'2" (my height). I currently am 189#, down from 235+ a year ago and climb with the lighter guys in the group ride every week here in socal. I'm not sure how much more weight I can lose and retain my power. As a side note, my 10k rowing time has gotten much slower once I went under 200#. I used to be able to row a 10k at 37:10, now 10 pounds lighter I can't get into the 38 minute range. At the same time my bicycling fitness has skyrocketed and I can sprint and climb better than when I was rowing faster. Everyone has different body constitution, so keep in tune with your progress and how you feel and your body will let you know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Miguel Inderain 6'2 176lbs puts his ratio at 2.37lbs per inch of height.

More importantly he had a freakish physiology in regards to cardiac output, lung capacity and a high VO2 max.

We are now at an age though were the science has taken off. You won't see guys like "Big Mig" winning grand tours anymore. Calorie restriction has been shown to improve practically every perimeter in regards to ones health.

The Grand Tour masters of today analyze their diets with a computer and gram scale. Densly nutrient packed foods with the least amount of calories.

People call these very thin men unhealthy, but the numbers suggest otherwise.

Aug 2009
    I used to weigh 235 and then started mountain biking 2 years ago. Without trying i have dropped to 206-209ish. I drink beer and eat beef jerkey while riding and after. I got a little more serious, stopped drinking befor/while/after riding and started drinking recovery drinks post ride. I started dropping guys i ride with on the trail and was riding with an "expert" group once a week and they said they have noticed how fast i have gotten.

About a month ago i started riding a road bike for the first time in my life. I rode with a group for the first time this past sat morning after drinking too much friday night and sleeping only 3 hours, and no breakfast befor the ride. I started at the back of about 25 and ended up number one without killing myself too bad. Sunday, the next morning, i did a group ride of about 50, a faster paced group and came in a little after half of the group, again only 3 hours of sleep and no breakfast. There were 2 small short climbs and this is where i dropped most of the people. I was pleased with where i stand as a beginner and have hope of losing some more pounds and getting faster on the flats.

I have a beer gut and a little bit of butt fat. I played football for a few years and am built like a a defensive end who has lost some muscle mass and gained some fat. Im shooting for 195 right now. Bottom line, your skinny as hell, put some mass on and i bet you climb like a goat.

then again, i have no idea what im talking about when it comes to cycling and fitness. All i know is that i started road biking and all my mtb friends got slow. And im drunk right now. then end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    RadRabt climbing is a light mans game.

Lance improved his climbing when he lost 20 pounds due to cancer.

Pantani, very small and very fast up mountains.

Alberto Contador 140lbs and he's laying waste to just about everything in front of him.

I've never heard any of the big guys I ride with that are very fast on the flats ever say they enjoy climbs, most of them complain about it. And considering climbs are a great place to attack it's an advantage to drop people or at least put them in their red zone so they can't recover.

Aug 2009
    I see what your saying. Wouldn't power to weight ratio have a lot to do with it? Of course after you add some good endurance you end up with skinny guys. But, I can pass some skinny guys on the climbs that can drop me on the flats with no problem. I am by no means impressive or good by a real riders standards, I was just suprised how weak of a climber one can be while still being good in the flats. Again, I'm an newb to road biking.

On the wrong floor again
    I rode a more last year than this year due to a move and such. I rode with the same 5 guys every tuesday night, when I started I was about 215lbs. I couldn't hang on at all on hills. By August, I was down to 205ish and was able to beat 3 of the guys, who weighed upwards of 50lbs less than me, and who could beat me in a sprint. Weight is factor, but it's also about power.

I too played football and my body is like a running back, huge legs, smaller torso.

Aug 2009
    One day TDF will be full of ex football players lol.

I plan on losing as much weight as i can without loosing alot of muscle mass. Im 5'9" but i will never be 140, i mean never. I too have big legs and a small torso, wide shoulders and a thick neck which is actually proving to be a pain in the ass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok..... Where are the tips? lol

May 2009
    climbing is about the ratio of power to weight. being rail thin like TDF riders is not needed for weekend rides or one day races, focus on training and staying fueled and recovering well - that will drive weight down over time.

eat to win

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12