Decent training and unstructured riding - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    What kind of TSS did that add up to for the week (assuming you're using WKO+).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided
    What kind of TSS did that add up to for the week (assuming you're using WKO+).
    915, but that's a hard week, they usually vary between 500-900 with 500 being an 'off' week.
    He has a good time in the legs

waterproof*
    Function, maybe it bears repeating - if you want to get faster, you're gonna have to spend time in the pain zone, going considerably faster than you can sustain. VO2 intervals, even some anaerobic work.

Otherwise, I would add the usual observation about self-coached riders: the hard parts aren't hard enough and the easy parts aren't easy enough.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Function, maybe it bears repeating - if you want to get faster, you're gonna have to spend time in the pain zone, going considerably faster than you can sustain. VO2 intervals, even some anaerobic work.

Otherwise, I would add the usual observation about self-coached riders: the hard parts aren't hard enough and the easy parts aren't easy enough.
    I agree, although of course it depends on how he's doing with this program (and I'm not sure whether that's his typical program, or just happens to have been one week, although I thought he meant it was more-or-less typical). Function, I'm curious as to what you see as your "limiters" in races? If I followed that program, for example, I think I would struggle on power climbs and bridging gaps. I could see how, with a naturally strong sprint, a racer in a flat area might not worry much about those issues, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the input Creaky, i think it's not obvious from the IF numbers how hard the rides are. My FTP is 340W and this is what the daily SST at IF=0.85-0.9 tend to look like, my general plan is tempo at 300W with sections at 330-400W depending on the hill, flat section of road, whatever. Lots of vo2max and threshold efforts in there; Regarding 'easy' parts, i've been doing sports my entire life so i'm good at gauging when my body needs rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided
    I agree, although of course it depends on how he's doing with this program (and I'm not sure whether that's his typical program, or just happens to have been one week, although I thought he meant it was more-or-less typical). Function, I'm curious as to what you see as your "limiters" in races? If I followed that program, for example, I think I would struggle on power climbs and bridging gaps. I could see how, with a naturally strong sprint, a racer in a flat area might not worry much about those issues, though.
    My main limiters are, experience and my power ratio isn't great for really long climbs (20min+) so those kinds of road races, i don't expect to be in the lead group unless we rode a flat section of road for 1-2hrs before the climb. My strengths are breakaways, power climbs, bridging, short power stuff and I tend to do best in long (3-4hr) road races on a rolling course with hills that are 1-5minutes long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're doing great man.
    I think you're being a little too hard on yourself.
    Those are great numbers.
    You'll get where you want to be in 18 months.
    Rock on bro !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by function
    Thanks for the input Creaky, i think it's not obvious from the IF numbers how hard the rides are. My FTP is 340W and this is what the daily SST at IF=0.85-0.9 tend to look like, my general plan is tempo at 300W with sections at 330-400W depending on the hill, flat section of road, whatever. Lots of vo2max and threshold efforts in there; Regarding 'easy' parts, i've been doing sports my entire life so i'm good at gauging when my body needs rest.
    WOW!! You are an animal. I just recently bought a PowerTap so I can really appreciate what those numbers mean now. Really impressive... at least to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12