Dull Knee Pain - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dull Knee Pain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    Did the pro bike fitting help? I've been dealing with a dull achey knee for the past several weeks. I sit all day at my job and that really makes both of my legs ache but it's definitely coming from below my patella. I had a bike fitting done so I think the seat height isn't a problem. Any recommendations on cleat placement to fix knee pain? Also, how do I know if it's "Spring Knee" or if something more complex is going on.
    It did, I end it buying new shoes, my old ones did not have any more support , he installed pedal extenders and some other little changes,I have only done small fast rides 30-35 miles each time to get used to the new settings, the pain is gone for now.
    Well worth the money

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Could be alot of things but have you guys tried to lower your saddle just a little.

Sometimes when setting up bikes I was too ambitious to set the saddle higher and started to get a little bit of aches after riding. I lower it anywhere 2-5mm and it freed up the knee where it isn't so "taut" and no more pain after riding. Give it a try and I would think doesn't really hurt your power, in fact it is more powerful for me than 5mm too high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    After two weeks off, knees feel good as new. New approach this time: stay in small chainring and lower gears as much as possible, BUT, keep overall cadence higher. Two good rides under my belt and knees holding up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Going through this now. No problems last year but man the knee pain this year 8/10. Went to see sports doc and was told to go to physical therapy. Tight muscles. IT band very tight explains the pain on the outside of the knee. Tight quads messing with a alignment of my knee. Pulling on my knee cap and am getting bone on bone. Knee cap was very sensitive.

Doing a bunch of stretching and strengthening. Going to try taping my knee to keep it aligned until things get sorted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsey View Post
    Going through this now. No problems last year but man the knee pain this year 8/10. Went to see sports doc and was told to go to physical therapy. Tight muscles. IT band very tight explains the pain on the outside of the knee. Tight quads messing with a alignment of my knee. Pulling on my knee cap and am getting bone on bone. Knee cap was very sensitive.

Doing a bunch of stretching and strengthening. Going to try taping my knee to keep it aligned until things get sorted.
    Be patient, sometimes the pain will go away quickly, other times it can take quite awhile...just don't get frustrated. I went through PT a few years ago for my IT band and it took over a year to finally go away. I just went through knee pain due to Patellafemoral pain syndrome and it was only a month but I was able to ride, just had to take it a little slower. I had great success with Kinesiology tape, just make sure you do it right or it won't be as effective. I had my sister, who is a PT, tape it for me the first several times until I learned how to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the info. PT is going through the Kinesiology tape training now. At the moment we are doing it the old way.

Rest when you're dead
    I have had 3 major knee surgeries on my left knee is a constant battle to keep that knee in good shape. I use special formula Gloucasmin that helps alot, but I also finally broke down and purchase a Cho-Pa3

Cho Pat Store | Shop a complete line of quality Chopat Knee Straps, Cho pat Braces, Chopat Supports and More!

I have one and it really does help.
    Sworker.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Shoe,

What about the arch supports in you r shoes? Went for a fitting and put in a higher arch support insole. I believe this is what is causing my knee problems. Just went back to a lower support and did not have any knee pain during or after my ride. Feels good not having to wear my brace afterwards.

Stretching and strengthening helped also. But, I was still having issues before the swap. Worth a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just thought I would update and possibly hear more ideas. I ended up having a hard time staying off the bike till the end of May when the pain was getting very bad and constant. I could hardly walk down stairs and even had to call the wife to pick me up once (she was thrilled :P). We had a 2 week vacation planned so I decided to just take it easy, started taking glucosamine and fish oils. After coming back from vacation I had 4 weeks till my major ride for the year, the Triple Bypass.

The first week I just did 2 easy pedal sessions on the trainer and one 30 mile moderate pace ride...no pain, I continued to stretch and focused on recovery. I slowly amped up the rides in both length and intensity and was feeling great, I also discovered that going for a ride with the wife was a great way to keep a slow pace on recovery rides and it was fun.

I rode great on the Triple Bypass but the pain in my right knee returned on the final pass. About half way up the 16 mile climb I considered bailing out it was so bad and sudden. I took a 15 min break and decided I couldn't stop 100 miles into the ride. I figured out that riding out of the saddle took some of the pressure off the point of pain and ended up finishing pretty strong but so much out of saddle riding and favoring my right knee ended up straining my right ankle.

I took the week off after the big ride and did a nice easy ride ride the following weekend. The dull knee pain was back almost instantly and now joined by much sharper ankle pain. I had already signed up and paid to ride another big ride, the Copper Triangle that was two weeks from that point. I consulted a PT the next week and began using a foam roller and doing more stretches accompanied by some balance and strength exercises. I didn't ride my bike till the event I was very nervous at the start. The Copper Triangle starts up hill with a nice long climb and my nerves quickly calmed as I settled in. There was no pain and I was climbing better than ever!! The first two mountain passes went by fast and I felt great, passing people all the way up and only getting passed by a few very strong climbers that I ended up jumping on the back of for he rest of the ride. The last pass was Vail and about half way up the knee pain came on pretty strong again. I wasn't shocked and eased up for the last half of the climb but was pleased with the progress.

I'm at the end of another two week rest and my PT wants me to wait another two weeks continuing the stretching, foam rolling and strength exercises before easing back onto the bike much slower than before. The ankle still hurts even just walking around so I will just have to be patient and make sure I am fully healed before getting back in the saddle. It is super hard especially after feeling so good on the bike for over 50 miles of mountain climbing and patience has never been a strong virtue of mine.

I will say that I am totally hooked on cycling now and already planning out my rides for next season. I am really hoping to see some big improvements next seasons since I've lost the weight and dropped my blood pressure down, I can focus on improving my vo2 max and sustained power this winter.
    Just another 35 year old with 55 year old knee's.

'15 GT Grade Carbon w/ Ultegra coming in November!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12