Efficient Peddling Question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST View Post
    My apologies for presenting some actual evidence and if you find that to be sarcastic. It's not intended that wayYou sure about that? just re-read that first sentence.. My credibility (or yours) isn't the issue. Debate the merits of the argument and the evidence.

Provide us with some pedal force data from professionals to demonstrate what you are saying. It would be interesting to see data that runs counter to the pedal force analysis performed on professional riders to date. This is a classic case of what people intuitively think is going on, isn't. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good storyMore sarcasm!.

If you want to pursue anecdotes (i.e. Cadel - for whom I assume you don't actually have any pedal force data to back up your claim), If I was cadel I would keep it secret too, but I stated what he wrote in his book about the special bike he has, which he uses at the beginning of the season, designed specifically to develop the whole of his leg. Notable is an unusual muscle that bulges from behind his knee, becasue of the "pulling up" while on his bike. then how come after having a lower leg amputation 4 years ago and now riding with a cycling prosthetic (in which it is impossible to do anything other than push down when I pedal), I have managed to equal or better my previous best sustainable power outputs?
    How is it impossible? You only lost the lower part of your leg, this means you don't have a calf muscle, but presumably you still have hamstrings, glutes attached in the normal place? Your glutes pull you leg down....you talk about data...how is it possible to develop more power....what about determination? or any other attributes which also can not be quantified or measured? to say that some one who intuitively feels that a certain way of riding must be wrong because the facts don't support it.....well are you not an example of someone who has lost part of a leg, and the facts would suggest that a prosthetic rider can not ride faster than an ably endowed athelete, yet you can? factually that does not make sense does it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Just one thing to consider. When you come in from a really hard ride/race, your legs are sore. in my case Quads, glutes and hamy's. if you have never experience soreness in the glutes or hamstrings, I would be surprised, but if you ask your self this question "have I", then you have to ask yourself "why?". I would suggest that it's because those muscles are working too, and working hard. Now my intuition tells me, they are sore, because of the hard work they are doing. NO scientist is going to convince me with study that says you don't use these muscles much.

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Gervase View Post
    How is it impossible? You only lost the lower part of your leg, this means you don't have a calf muscle, but presumably you still have hamstrings, glutes attached in the normal place? Your glutes pull you leg down....you talk about data...how is it possible to develop more power....what about determination? or any other attributes which also can not be quantified or measured? to say that some one who intuitively feels that a certain way of riding must be wrong because the facts don't support it.....well are you not an example of someone who has lost part of a leg, and the facts would suggest that a prosthetic rider can not ride faster than an ably endowed athelete, yet you can? factually that does not make sense does it.
    I know, weird isn't it?

Alex's Cycle Blog: Mean Maximal Power: A Unique Comparison

or this chart:

I can't really pull up much as attempts to do more tend to pull the prosthetic leg off my stump. Just as well one needs do no more than unweighting their leg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    "Belief: something one accepts as*
    True or real, a firmly held opinion or conviction"*

Merry Xmas Alex*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST View Post
    Try the following references:
    • Coyle et al., 1991 Physiological and biomechanical factors associated with elite cycling performance
    • Korff et al., 2007 Pedaling technique and efficiency
    • Martin et al., 2001 Learning to produce max power

Can you recommend a good text that covers the biomechanics and physics of cycling? I am a mechanical engineer and enjoy this analysis. Thanks...
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

Climbs like a sprinter...
    For the record - I have a really hard time thinking about "pulling up", "scraping off", "thinking circles", etc. in the half second it takes to spin the cranks around. My coach has me doing one leg drills but I'm not too keen on them.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

banned
    Aug 2011

Remind me again

Quote Originally Posted by Gervase View Post
    "Belief: something one accepts as*
    True or real, a firmly held opinion or conviction"*

Merry Xmas Alex*
    what Evens says? I know Floyd is disgraced and all, but I subscribe to his, 'if you want to go faster, pedal harder.' whatever that means technically....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Yes..it is hard, but once you do it it becomes stored in our subconcious and you do it with out thinking about it, just like someone learning karate. It is hard to block correctly those punches, but once you have done it thousands of times, it just happens, the subconcious takes over and you react. Or standing on a skateboard for the first time it seems ludicrously dangerous...
    Persevere it is well worth training the mind and body.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123