Extremely Low BMI worth keeping?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aug 2009

Question Extremely Low BMI worth keeping?

I am 6'1 and 115 LBS My BMI is 15.2 I believe. I really enjoy hill climbing, obviously its not that big of a problem for me. My question is I have started eating 3000-3400 calories a day to conquer my metabolism and put on a little weight, help gain some leg muscle. Doctors say I am healthy its just a genetic thing. Will there be any major benefit for me to gain weight as far as climbing goes? Am I messing with a good thing? I think I am just mad lycra looks baggy on me.

I ride in circles..
    Don't try screwing up your metabolism.. You could give yourself problems. Your body is happy how it is. Eat more protein and maybe lift weights a little... don't eat yourself into gaining weight. You could give yourself diabetes.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Anti-Hero
    That's highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Andrea138; 08-04-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cperdue
    I am 6'1 and 115 LBS My BMI is 15.2 I believe. I really enjoy hill climbing, obviously its not that big of a problem for me. My question is I have started eating 3000-3400 calories a day to conquer my metabolism and put on a little weight, help gain some leg muscle. Doctors say I am healthy its just a genetic thing. Will there be any major benefit for me to gain weight as far as climbing goes? Am I messing with a good thing? I think I am just mad lycra looks baggy on me.
    extra padding?

butt pads? lol

waterproof*
    think about your "limiters". flatland / crosswind power? sprinting? how about general overall body health, looking good for the ladies?

some of those could be improved by some smart weight training, and some structured power / threshold work. If you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Just curious: how old are you and how often do you get sick?
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    Well, if today's professional coaches are anything like the coaches when I went to high school, you should expect them to cost nothing, have no education or qualifications, give very little good advice, but scream about your mother's promiscuity and question your sexuality every time you're in earshot. You should also expect to bleed, bleed, bleed.

Aug 2009

Health.

Actually I don't get sick often at all I am 27. I do have low iron in my blood so I have to take supplements but really my grandfathers on both sides were tall and skinny so it's just what I have to work with. As far as gaining wait to impress the ladies that sounds more like a normal roadie concern. I started biking and climbing hills for the little victorys of each hill and that sense of freedom and being alive you get from pushing yourself harder than you think you can go. As far as the ladies are concerned take it or leave it, lifes too short to worry about that ****. I need a shallow girl about like I need a bike pump in my wheel.
    Last edited by cperdue; 08-04-2009 at 12:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't try to force a bunch of weight on by eating a bunch... just try to slowly add muscle mass over time bit hitting the gym and eating a well balanced diet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Your grandfathers and father all managed to reproduce, so it can't be that hard for a guy with your build to find women.

Some more power, possibly involving more leg muscle, would make you faster. Getting fat won't. I am also built thin and I have not been able to bulk by weight lifting. I get stronger, I just don't get any bigger. Which is just fine for cycling.

Aug 2009
    Thanks for all your help. A little muscle wouldn't hurt for head and crosswinds. I feel pretty powerless in head winds right now but I don't know anyone who isn't. Ha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 1970
    First the disclaimer than I'm not a doctor or nutritionist and disclosure that I work in healthcare, but I am definitely not trying to sell you anything.

I worked with an obesity research team and there was always discussion on BMI and whether it has meaning. The general feeling amongst those in the field was only at the high end and low end do you see it as a good proxy for issues; anything between 20-30 was not necessarily an issue. On the high end, visceral fat and other things are more indicative of issues. On the low end, things like eating disorders, metabolic issues and bone mineral density are some things that pop up with BMI below 19. A BMI of 15 is really low. For reference, I'm 6'4" and 180lb and I can see my ribs and collarbones; I can't imagine 115 unless I just got off a feeding tube from a coma.

What was your caloric intake prior to upping to 3-4000kcal/day? How long have you been consuming 4000kcal/day and what was the resulting weight gain? In all seriousness, what has your physician or nutritionist said about this? Eating 4000kcal per day and weighing as little as you do may indicate an underlying issue. Definitely consider seeing a nutritionist or endocrinologist, something seems very odd about that kind of weight at your size.

Clearly would defer to any of the endos/nutritionists here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    If we take a look at the top pros in the world of climbing and the top one right now.

Alberto Contador. He's 5'9.5" 140lbs.

We take his weight and divide by his height. 140/69.5"= 2.01lbs per inch.

Michael Rasmussen another really great climber. 130lbs/68.5"= 1.90lbs per inch.

We take a look at your numbers cperdue. 115lbs/73"= 1.58lbs per inch.

You are extremely skinny. Probably skinner than what would be allowed in the TDF. I think 120lbs is a very small man in that race. They'd probably be afraid that your bone mass would shrivel up to nothing....just kidding.

It's time for you to start a really good diet, workout with weights and start putting some weight on.

Consider the best climbers/stage racers tend not to get any lighter than 1.8lbs per inch.

We know you can climb, but how about hammering on the flats?

I'm 6'2" I tend to stay inbetween 160-165. My ribs stick out and my waist is really skinny. I can't imagine losing 40lbs.
    Last edited by heathb; 08-05-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Aug 2009
    You see thats the difference, I am 6'1 and 120 (yes i checked and I have gained 5 lbs since starting this crazy calorie fest) and you can not see my ribs. You can see my color bone. Really its like someone stretched a short skinny person to 6'1. I do have slimmer than normal bones it seems. I drink milk regularly but who knows if that really helps. You might be able to blame it on being in appalachia. Our water is contaminated with coal slurry and our air is filled with fumes from oil refineries. We power half of the US but we get no funding to counter act the health defects. I do go for the regular checkup but endos and nutrionists aren't really an option for "the middle class" here. Minimum wage is so low company health insurance is more like a 5% off coupon. My regular calorie intake before I upped it was about 2000 to 2300 calories a day. I do have a habit of a half a pack a day of cigarettes I am trying to get rid of. Seriously though I would assume this is just genes. I would notice a tape a worm I am pretty sure. I was also a C-section baby because I wrapped my umbilical chord around my neck several times before I was born, that could be it as well. Blood tests come back clean other then low iron. I really think statistics miss out when it comes to something as random as genetics. If you are studying obesity this is the 5th fattest city in the nation. A hard place to live when your tall and skinny. "you need to get some meat on dem bones" says the mouth breather gasping for air as he pats the three feet of belly hanging over his belt. WV is a unique case study. The people affected most by the environment and the coal mining here are too stupid to see what is happening because its their only paycheck. I will refer you to this youtube video of belligerent coal miners trying to start fist fights at a peaceful anti mountain top removal gathering. http://agoraphobicfit.squarespace.co...-break-up.html
    Last edited by cperdue; 08-05-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Aug 2009
    I think I do suck at flats, I went on a 20 mile ride with a friend who was on a windsor fixy the other day and he stayed 40 feet ahead at least the whole time. I sadly only use my big front cog on down hills, he uses his all the time lol.

RoadBikeReview Member

Weight training on top of the eating will be the fastest way up. Of course, do the homework on getting the suitable diet that will be worthwhile. The key is to build, not alter everything about yourself.

BMI is really a statistical thing that is there just to see how you stack up. If I know right, average BMI =/= correct BMI. Averages have gone up overtime due to change in diet, and in this nation, a good number of people are overweight. Still, 15.1 is really low even in past times.

However, I do think that you should find a second doctor's take just to re-assure you're in good health (considering the conditions you mention in WV). To think me targeting 140lb at 5'10.5 was pushing it...Your BMI is surprisingly low and I hope for you that it's healthy. But besides that, imagine the power to weight ratio you could come up with when the muscle's built. Most of you would likely be muscle as opposed to fat despite the gain in weight and you'd still be reasonably light.

Aug 2009

Smile Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck

Weight training on top of the eating will be the fastest way up. Of course, do the homework on getting the suitable diet that will be worthwhile. The key is to build, not alter everything about yourself.

BMI is really a statistical thing that is there just to see how you stack up. If I know right, average BMI =/= correct BMI. Averages have gone up overtime due to change in diet, and in this nation, a good number of people are overweight. Still, 15.1 is really low even in past times.

However, I do think that you should find a second doctor's take just to re-assure you're in good health (considering the conditions you mention in WV). To think me targeting 140lb at 5'10.5 was pushing it...Your BMI is surprisingly low and I hope for you that it's healthy. But besides that, imagine the power to weight ratio you could come up with when the muscle's built. Most of you would likely be muscle as opposed to fat despite the gain in weight and you'd still be reasonably light.
    THANK YOU! That's the optimism I have needed.

RoadBikeReview Member

Question

I am 6'1 and 115 LBS My BMI is 15.2 I believe.
    Show us a picture man. I am having a hard time picturing what 6'1" and 120 lbs looks like.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing Team
    2014 Hongfu FM-166SL
    2016 Trek Top Fuel 9.8
    2014 UnoVelo 1902 Disc Cyclocross
    2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
    2015 Hongfu FM-190 Fat Bike

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0
    Show us a picture man. I am having a hard time picturing what 6'1" and 120 lbs looks like.
    Nah. I already fight for the self esteem I have. Maybe you'll get lucky and see me pass you someday

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Well if your fair boned then I can see how your weight is so low.

You've got the classic really hard gainers body.

One thing I'd start doing though is getting rid of those cigarettes. They supress your appetite and all those other things they do for you that is counter productive to your health.

Anyone can gain muscle mass and increase bone density. It's going to take a lot of work however. 99 out of 100 times people that state they can't gain weight is usually due to not eating enough calories. There's a good reason guys that go off to a two week football camp come back with more beef on their bones, they shovel the food in and workout all day long. Not saying that this is a good approach in your case, but if you up your calories you will gain weight. Just make sure you're doing some weight lifting, mostly compound lifts like squats, dead lifts, bench press, don't waste your time with isolation lifts with light dumbells, you're better off after a few months of developing proper form sticking to the barbell to maximize your strength.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0
    FWIW, Christian Bale was 122 in The Machinist and he's 6' almost exactly.

I would definitely get some bulk on, but try avoiding fat pounds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mondayC
    FWIW, Christian Bale was 122 in The Machinist and he's 6' almost exactly.

The info on that movie has it that Bale ate 1 apple and coffee each day for four months to prepare for that role.

Next came his first Batman and he had 6 months in which he went up to 230 with the help of a trainer and then back down to 190.

Bale mentioned that when he had to gain weight back he had lost so much muscle that he couldn't even do one push up.

I'll say one thing for Bale he's dedicated to his craft.

Burning Fists of Love

unfair and you know it

You see thats the difference, I am 6'1 and 120 (yes i checked and I have gained 5 lbs since starting this crazy calorie fest) and you can not see my ribs. You can see my color bone. Really its like someone stretched a short skinny person to 6'1. I do have slimmer than normal bones it seems. I drink milk regularly but who knows if that really helps. You might be able to blame it on being in appalachia. Our water is contaminated with coal slurry and our air is filled with fumes from oil refineries. We power half of the US but we get no funding to counter act the health defects. I do go for the regular checkup but endos and nutrionists aren't really an option for "the middle class" here. Minimum wage is so low company health insurance is more like a 5% off coupon. My regular calorie intake before I upped it was about 2000 to 2300 calories a day. I do have a habit of a half a pack a day of cigarettes I am trying to get rid of. Seriously though I would assume this is just genes. I would notice a tape a worm I am pretty sure. I was also a C-section baby because I wrapped my umbilical chord around my neck several times before I was born, that could be it as well. Blood tests come back clean other then low iron. I really think statistics miss out when it comes to something as random as genetics. If you are studying obesity this is the 5th fattest city in the nation. A hard place to live when your tall and skinny. "you need to get some meat on dem bones" says the mouth breather gasping for air as he pats the three feet of belly hanging over his belt. WV is a unique case study. The people affected most by the environment and the coal mining here are too stupid to see what is happening because its their only paycheck. I will refer you to this youtube video of belligerent coal miners trying to start fist fights at a peaceful anti mountain top removal gathering. http://agoraphobicfit.squarespace.co...-break-up.html
    Your low BMI and a industrial dynamic that has been boiling for over 100 years are in no way related. Want to talk? PM me. A little hint, you have no idea what a thug is
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Fat and slow but trying
    Just curious where in WV you live? I am in WV too in Romney up in the eastern panhandle. I would guess your down around the Logan or Boone area the way you talk about the coal mining.

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Just curious where in WV you live? I am in WV too in Romney up in the eastern panhandle. I would guess your down around the Logan or Boone area the way you talk about the coal mining.
    Actually I am in Huntington wv. I was raised in Wayne until my teens. Huntington isn't so bad but we have a lot of crackheads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    To think me targeting 140lb at 5'10.5 was pushing it...
    Hey, that's exactly my height and pretty damn close to my weight, and I never thought I was pushing it! 'Sure, it depends on your body build - your bones may be larger than mine and truth be told, my shoulders are slim - but it seems like a nice weight target to me ;)

I'm at 142lbs at the moment and my weight has been damn stable for a few years. Starting to race and paying more attention to my diet hasn't got me any lighter or heavier, but I know I did lose a bit of fat - not that I had much to start with, anyway.

I'm perfectly satisfied with my weight and if you are too, why would you try to change that?

To the OP : Training wisely and eating well may or may not make you gain weight, but it'll make you a stronger cyclist anyway. Isn't that the most important?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast