Having issues with losing weight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Having issues with losing weight

So, I've been having issues cutting weight. I have by no means a cyclist's build. I'm 6'2'' 270lbs. I started riding to motivate more cardio. I've never had an issue with weights and minor cardio. A month ago I got to the point where I need to lose fat. I ride four or more times a week for at least an hour and a half. I've been at 1500 calories a day for about 2 months. I eat good calories. I don't get drained during a ride. Yesterday I rode 12.24 miles in 53 minutes. There were hills and some flats. I like hills, I'm not sure why. I recently had some blood drawn for thyroid testing. It's really only only thing I can think of.

Any thoughts?

-Gianni-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    dude 1500 cals is way below your bmr.whats holding you back is ur lack of food. eat more increase slowly to like 2500 cals along with riding and i bet u start dropping lots... just eat good food

disclaimer: i am not an expert just advice from past experience

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by apxbiker
    dude 1500 cals is way below your bmr.whats holding you back is ur lack of food. eat more increase slowly to like 2500 cals along with riding and i bet u start dropping lots... just eat good food

disclaimer: i am not an expert just advice from past experience

So, do you think I may be stuck in starvation mode?

For president!
    I would be really surprised if you are only eating 1500 calories a day, how are you keeping track and what does a typical day look like?
    Formidable Pharmacologically

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    I would be really surprised if you are only eating 1500 calories a day, how are you keeping track and what does a typical day look like?
    Well, yesterday was

breakfast
    outmeal made w/ water - 320
    Orange juice -120

1/2 power bar on ride - 105

protein bar -120

lunch
    1/2 turkey sandwich - 285
    1/2 banana - 53
    1/2 zero cal gatorade

protein bar - 120

dinner
    1/2 turkey sandwich - 285
    1/2 banana - 53
    1/2 xero cal gatorade

oatmeal -160

total - 1621

Now sometimes I go over a bit,sometimes I go under. I like to stay around 1500. But maybe that's not enough?

-Gianni-

RoadBikeReview Member
    you should be OK with that...

I went from 235 to 189 this spring.
    My daily goal was / is 1400 as I am on my way to 175-180 (end goal)

What I have found is that there are peaks and valleys. Your body took a long time to get where it is, and it will take some time to let go and start moving in the other direction. Do it with care, patience and dedication and you will get there.
    Get on and stick with a good program. Good balance between carbs, fat and protein etc.. plenty of water etc..
    Oh,
    and burn calories. Lots of calories.
    I have 4.3 Thousand miles in my legs since January. I do not imagine I will make goal until sometime next year, like april or so...
    I am a patient man.

godless

for me it's a low carb diet

I lost about 40 pounds a few years ago on the Atkins diet. I have not had a problem since. Also, I find that exercise does not make me drop weight, only my diet. (And I'm either on my bike or playing racquetball every day, or both.) Gary Taubes, in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" states that any calories burned in exercise are usually more than replaced after the exercise. That's been my experience. (It's a little more complex than that, of course, as exercise builds muscle which is heavier than fat, etc. but I'm sure you get the idea.)
    "Don't believe everything you think."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    it might be in you best interest to get ur bmr tested and body fat at a local gym or somewhere like that cause that way you will be able to determine how many calories are right for you. i think you are eating to little for sure!

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    So I had my gf look at this thread because she's a dietitian.

She said to make the oatmeal with milk. Drop the OJ for real fruit, as juice is almost as bad for you as pop/soda. You also need a LOT more calories as you are in starvation mode. She said you need 2500-3000 calories per day (exercise included, so don't add more) for weight loss and 3000-3700 to maintain your current 270lbs.

My own recommendation is to DROP THE POWERBARS. You should make real food for your rides. For each ride under 2hrs, shoot to eat 1/3 to 1/2 the calories you burn. For a 90min ride, it's probably about 700-800 calories, so shoot to eat 250-400 calories. Bring a banana and a peanut butter/honey sandwich. If you want less food make PB&Honey, but use only one slice of bread and fold it in half. My big thing right now is organic pop-tarts from Costco. They're cheap and 200Cal per pastry, so 400cal per bag of 2.

EAT MORE DIVERSE FOODS. You have almost no fruits and vegetables in your diet. Where are the vitamins and minerals coming from if you don't eat the colorful foods. I would take a multivitamin to cover your basis, too.

Oh yeah, she also wants to know the results of your thyroid test when you get it. Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    So I had my gf look at this thread because she's a dietitian.

She said to make the oatmeal with milk. Drop the OJ for real fruit, as juice is almost as bad for you as pop/soda. You also need a LOT more calories as you are in starvation mode. She said you need 2500-3000 calories per day (exercise included, so don't add more) for weight loss and 3000-3700 to maintain your current 270lbs.

My own recommendation is to DROP THE POWERBARS. You should make real food for your rides. For each ride under 2hrs, shoot to eat 1/3 to 1/2 the calories you burn. For a 90min ride, it's probably about 700-800 calories, so shoot to eat 250-400 calories. Bring a banana and a peanut butter/honey sandwich. If you want less food make PB&Honey, but use only one slice of bread and fold it in half. My big thing right now is organic pop-tarts from Costco. They're cheap and 200Cal per pastry, so 400cal per bag of 2.

EAT MORE DIVERSE FOODS. You have almost no fruits and vegetables in your diet. Where are the vitamins and minerals coming from if you don't eat the colorful foods. I would take a multivitamin to cover your basis, too.

Oh yeah, she also wants to know the results of your thyroid test when you get it. Feel free to PM me with any more questions.
    It varies by day, but I always have some celery or broccoli in the fridge. I've been on a peach kick recently. I do take a multi-vitamin - centrum to be exact. I think cutting the power bards and a peanut butter and honey sandwich would be better, cheaper too.

I will pm with the results.

-Gianni-

Aug 2009
    can you drop to 1200 calories?!! and drink lots of water..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Instead of eating so much turkey, maybe you should go buy a bunch of vegetables and make yourself a big salad for dinner.

I have been reading about how you should eat the majority of your carbs in the morning; of course this all depends on when your workout is. I work nights, so I ride in the morning after eating a banana, cheese stick, and then 3-4 clif bites on the ride. For lunch I eat a salad consisting of spinach, other vegetables, and sometimes fruit. I drink a lot of water, stay away from soda etc..., and try not to eat too much for dinner (chicken breast, salad, etc...).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I read this..... and I am not sure what to think about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think one piece that is missing is to eat through out the day. There is much to be said for eating 6 meals during the day. Something about keeping the metabolism going.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodooguy
    I think one piece that is missing is to eat through out the day. There is much to be said for eating 6 meals during the day. Something about keeping the metabolism going.
    Very true, I try to eat apples and stuff to quelch my hunger. Usually I end up sneaking in granola bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I would get rid of the protein bars and zero cal gatorade.

You need carbs to burn calories/fat. I've gone from 190lbs to 167lbs in a year by sticking to this diet:

5am - Quaker weightloss oatmeal (one packet) with fresh blueberries for preride

5:30 - Ride for 1h30m

7:30 - 4 eggwhites + red pepper + brocoli + spinach
    Cup of fresh fruit, coffee with skim milk

10:30 - handful roasted/salted almonds

12:00 - 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup fresh roasted bison or fresh roasted turkey, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 cup brocoli, 1/4 cup spinach, 1/2 cup lentils

3:00 handful roasted/salted almonds

6:00 - fresh chicken (size of 1.5 pack of cards) stirfry in olive oil, with red pepper, onion, brocoli sautee.

8:00 Citracel sugar free for fiber

I usually ride about 200-250 miles per week plus 2-3 days in gym.

When you are riding check out: Endurox R4 and Lara Bars. both will keep you riding and I like the lara bars because they appear to be more natural than typical cliff or powerbars.

keep going and don't give up. If you are starving yourself or overeating you won't get results...need to strike a fine balance.

PS: Drink way more water than you think you should...at all times of day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Read up on a low glycemic index diet.

Like take your Banana for instance, it has a high glycemic index if it's ripe. Chuck it.

Get rid of the empty calories like the powerbar and gatorade.

You have little to no healthy fats in you current list of foods. Stock up on walnuts...ALA(omega 3), Salmon, Avacados, Cold Pressed Olive Oil. These will slow your digestion and not cause a spike in your glucose.

Increase you fiber both dietary and soluable.

You need to up your intake of veggies, particularly leafy greens like Collards, Kale...ect.

You need a nutrient dense low calorie diet, but you also need to eat at regular intervals to keep the metabolism going, mix protein, fats with your carbs at each meal to slow digestion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    i'm in your boat too...6' 255lbs when i started riding ... been sticking to 2000cal a day diet

oat meal, banana, coffee in the am

fruit snack

salad and some sort of low cal lunch (pasta w/ chicken or rice w/ chicken)

fruit snack

and a modest dinner with a salad

i drink a crazy amount of water during the day and i'm putting about an hour a day on the bike (16mph avg ..on a solo ride)

my last weigh check had be at 261lb, up 6 lbs
    i'm sure i'm adding muscle... but over a month i would think there is some trade off and i'd see some weigh loss results...

is there anything that i can

Pack Fodder.
    As a clyde-emeritus, I can feel your pain as far as the weight loss goes. Every season I ride for a couple months before the pounds really start dropping. I'm no dietician, but you might be under-fueling and in borderline starvation mode at 2000 calories a day at your size/weight. I think your BMR would be around 2200-2300 calories a day, and the calories expended for a sedentary lifestyle (desk job/couch potato- BMR x 1.2) would be in the range of 2500-2800. Google a calculator to be sure. Add a bike ride in on that number (say 600-800 calories per hour), and you can see that you've got a caloric deficit in the range of 1100-1600 calories. Not horrible or life-threatening, but it can be hard to sustain and build any fat-burning muscle.

Again, not a dietician, but I like to keep my deficit to 500-1000 calories for sustainable weight loss (500 is my normal). At 3500 calories per pound, that's 1-2 lbs per week on average. As I lose weight, my BMR changes, and therefore I hit a bit of a plateau as far as weight loss. My usual answer is to change my diet slightly and exercise more or at a higher intensity. The cool thing is as the weight comes off, it's easier to ramp up the intensity a bit so I don't feel guilty if I have a less-than-healthy mean now or then. Moderation is the key for me. While I admire what Mike Magnuson did in terms of weight loss and fitness, even he found that too much self-denial can be a negative thing.

Instead of focusing on just losing weight, I usually pick a season goal (century, race, hillclimb, charity ride...) and set benchmarks so I can evaluate my progress and adjust as necessary. I usually meet my goal waaaayyy too early (I aim low for some reason), so I always have one or two loftier goals in mind just in case. I find that I lose more weight this way and it's a less stressful experience. It makes the whole experience more concrete, and therefore easier to manage. I still have a goal weight (or weight range), but it isn't my primary focus.

I dunno. Maybe it would work for you.

The Dropped 1
    Quote Originally Posted by uberalles
    i'm in your boat too...6' 255lbs when i started riding ... been sticking to 2000cal a day diet

oat meal, banana, coffee in the am

fruit snack

salad and some sort of low cal lunch (pasta w/ chicken or rice w/ chicken)

fruit snack

and a modest dinner with a salad

i drink a crazy amount of water during the day and i'm putting about an hour a day on the bike (16mph avg ..on a solo ride)

my last weigh check had be at 261lb, up 6 lbs
    i'm sure i'm adding muscle... but over a month i would think there is some trade off and i'd see some weigh loss results...

is there anything that i can
    Keep at it for starters... it can take 6-8 weeks plus for noticeable differences.

Aside from that, you're eating too much fruit and not enough veggies IMO. Very little healthy fat in those foods also.

If you aren't putting in a lot of intensity, you may just want to lessen/remove some of the carbs at lunch also, unless you are riding right before or after (will help keep you fueled IMO). If you are solely trying to lose some weight, intensity will probably only make you hungrier. I lost some weight last winter just doing a lot of endurance-paced rides around the "fat burning zone". I wound up having to put weight back on!

If you just started up exercising, could also be that you are in starvation mode. I may eat too much (scale isn't telling me that), but I ride about an hour a day week days, and 2-3+ each weekend day, and I eat at least 2200-2600 calories a day (dependent on how hard I am riding on a given day, and how "good" I can be). I'm 5'8, female, and weigh a lot less.

It's a process

Also not a dietician/doctor/etc. Just stuff I have found. I've read you can eat as much as you want of fruits/veggies, but don't find that to work for me. I try to eat more veggies than fruit, or at least equal. I do eat about 1/2 cup or a little more of berries in the morning, banana before my rides, and an apple. Other than that, I eat baby carrots, edamame sometimes, and a heaping pile of veggies with dinner (squash, zucchini, peppers, onion all sauteed or grilled, cauliflower steamed with no butter, asparagus steamed/baked/sauteed, artichokes, broccoli roasted, salads with a ton of veggies and not much dressing - no cheese, no dried fruit, etc.).

Mix up the lunch maybe sometimes to add in some healthy fat from almond butter, or snack on about an ounce or so of almonds, have some avocado in salad sometimes, use olive oil to cook. Stick with the lean meats, but don't forget fish and leaner cuts of beef sometimes!

What Would Google Do.
    fat needs carbs to burn it, so if you dont have enough carbs in for the day (at the right times) then you body is in caloric deficit, but instead of burning fat (like youwant) its starts taking the calories needed from muscle mass instead..even if you have 20lbs of unwanted fat waiting to be burned off.

So ironically you need to eat more, but just make sure you are still burning more than you are eating.
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heathb
    Read up on a low glycemic index diet.

Like take your Banana for instance, it has a high glycemic index if it's ripe. Chuck it.

Get rid of the empty calories like the powerbar and gatorade.

You have little to no healthy fats in you current list of foods. Stock up on walnuts...ALA(omega 3), Salmon, Avacados, Cold Pressed Olive Oil. These will slow your digestion and not cause a spike in your glucose.

Increase you fiber both dietary and soluable.

You need to up your intake of veggies, particularly leafy greens like Collards, Kale...ect.

You need a nutrient dense low calorie diet, but you also need to eat at regular intervals to keep the metabolism going, mix protein, fats with your carbs at each meal to slow digestion.
    This is it right here!! Lost thirty pounds this sesaon 10 more and I'm going for Cat 3 Masters

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    fat needs carbs to burn it, so if you dont have enough carbs in for the day (at the right times) then you body is in caloric deficit, but instead of burning fat (like youwant) its starts taking the calories needed from muscle mass instead..even if you have 20lbs of unwanted fat waiting to be burned off.

So ironically you need to eat more, but just make sure you are still burning more than you are eating.

When is the right time for carbs? In the morning or before your workout?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgor
    When is the right time for carbs? In the morning or before your workout?
    Right time is before, during, and after your workout. You need to be fueled so you can actually ride well, but you need carbs so your muscles can recover.
    As an athlete, you should shy away from low-carb. Try to focus on whole grain, and limit white sugar.

What? Me worry?
    My experience may differ from others, but if I train seriously for 90 minutes or more six days a week I can eat just about anything I want and maintain near optimum weight.

It's almost counter-productive to think about dieting so long as you're getting a well structured workout almost every day. (actually, if you do the research, you'll find that diets are almost always a failure in the long run) Your weight is ultimately driven by the calories you burn, not by the calories you consume. Keep burning the calories at a good rate, and your weight will come down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast