Health/Fitness Assistance needed please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSean
    Not mean at all to say the least, more so realistic.

I actually read the box of my cereal/milk today and ate 1/2 of what I usually do...I was so not happy that 1/2 of what I typically eat was 400calories roughly.

When you say to metabolize more than I ingest, would it be wise to eat like...1/2 of a banana/apple every 2 to 3 hours just to make sure that my body is still digesting?
    I am no dietitian. Can't advise you on on when to eat what, but you have the right idea now.

You can be as scientific as your personality dictates as you try to manage your weight and fitness. Some very organized type people find keeping a 'calorie log= and books or files full of data helps them..Some even measure out their meal portions on a gram scale and train to a very exacting plan or schedule training right to the second and the number of watts to put out for each minute of the day.....others don't.

I had an injury that prevented me from staying fit. When I was allowed to resume strenuous exercise I found myself at nearly 200lbs (6'1") heavier than I'd ever been. After a year I rode myself down to about 185lbs but I 'stuck' there until I began paying closer attention to how many calories I was eating and using. I like to be around 165lbs, but I have to be attentive to what I eat to maintain that weight. It took me another season of riding and eating properly to get there.

I started by doing some reading, determined my daily base metabolism..ballpark only...started to read, like you've just done, the nutritional information on containers of food I ate. Got some estimates on how many calories I was using up in my riding sessions, etc. After a time I learned how to "eat appropriately for my weight requirements". I do it informally, but it takes diligence and commitment. I turn down a big bowl of ice cream, skip the second helping of fatty foods, think about my upcoming races or rides and what it might be like to be carrying a bunch of useless weight uphill...

Good luck with it..it's simple stuff..you just have to DO it..no one can wave a wand over you and make you slim and fit.

Poseur

4 days later???

Four days and no updates. Wonder how he is doing with changing to a healthier diet and losing weight.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryR
    Four days and no updates. Wonder how he is doing with changing to a healthier diet and losing weight.
    Sorry I've been preoccupied to say the least.

I haven't even had time to ride lately. Today will be my first day and that's only because I have to work a 1/2 day today.

I was going pretty good until yesterday, yesterday I had kind of a slip up.

I'm going to get back on it though, I still haven't drank any sweetened drinks at all.

I've lost weight, and that's without not being able to ride. So I'm thinking once the weather gets better and I hop back on the diet I'll see some quicker results. I'm hardly below 240 at the moment. BUT I'm there

Sooo, I'm going to get back on the diet and the bike asap.

Poseur
    Forget the word "diet." There are way too many negative connotations to that, almost all associated with serious efforts to relieve of your money and built on very little science. You are not dieting or going on a diet, you are making a change in lifestyle to eating healthy foods, replacing the unhealthy foods with healthy foods. DO NOT think of it as what you are giving up, think of it as what you are gaining; maybe adding 10-15 enjoyable years to your life.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Hey I'm a personal trainer. just started skimming your post.

glad to hear you've lost weight. my question to you is are you tracking how many calories you are consuming daily? Most important if you want to lose weight; and have you even picked a goal weight? maybe I missed that.

great ways to introduce fruits and greens into your diet is in smoothies. After a training ride I'll have a protein smoothie that includes strawberries, banana and kale with a tablespoon of peanut butter all blended with skim milk.

consider changing up your breakfast too by adding in some protein. perhaps an 2 eggs 1 yolk with a slice or two of turkey meat on a whole wheat wrap with fresh spinach. you'd be surprised how much more filling that is than cheerios.

nothing substitutes water. agreed with others. drop the Gatorade. you don't need it. if you need flavor in your water put in some sugar free crystal light if you must.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    great ways to introduce fruits and greens into your diet is in smoothies. After a training ride I'll have a protein smoothie that includes strawberries, banana and kale with a tablespoon of peanut butter all blended with skim milk.
    for trying to lose weight, i think i disagree.

what you listed is a fair amount of calories (400+) in something that's really easy to drink in 30 seconds. unless you're keeping a decent log of what you're eating, it'd be pretty easy to lose track of how many calories that glass of shake actually had in it.

imho, a great way to introduce fruits and greens into your diet is to replace snacks & parts of meals with them. an apple instead of a bag of chips. replace a side of noodles with a side of steamed broccoli & zucchinis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit
    for trying to lose weight, i think i disagree.

what you listed is a fair amount of calories (400+) in something that's really easy to drink in 30 seconds. unless you're keeping a decent log of what you're eating, it'd be pretty easy to lose track of how many calories that glass of shake actually had in it.

imho, a great way to introduce fruits and greens into your diet is to replace snacks & parts of meals with them. an apple instead of a bag of chips. replace a side of noodles with a side of steamed broccoli & zucchinis.

if you re-read my post you'll notice i said after a training ride. 400 calories? not even close.

a medium size banana is roughly 100 calories. depending on the protein powder (mine 80cal/scoop). 6 oz skim milk roughly 70 calories. and a couple strawberries. and not even a cup of fresh kale (1 cup equals 34 calories).

so we are talking around 250-300 calories.

and by the way this smoothie was recommended to me by the sports nutritionist i was seeing.

to the contrary it's quite easy to track how many calories you are putting into your smoothie or anything else you eat by using one of many on line tracking systems.

lets not forget about the QUALITY of those calories too. nothing bad for in there especially after a training ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you

I guess my only advice for losing weight is to make gradual changes to the diet. If the changes are too quick, you won't stick to a program. I think making gradual changes will be more appropriate here.
    this is so key - just eliminate 1 bad food or beverage at a time, until it's a habit and requires no conscious thought, then go on to the next one. liquid calories are especially important to get rid of. Other than on-bike fuel and specific post workout recovery drink, all I drink is water, plain black coffee, green tea & red wine.
    Karl Etzel
    Silicon Valley Cycling Center
    Premium Bike & Component Sales - Cyfac, Parlee, Lynskey, Zipp, D2 Shoes, Giro, And Many Others...
    Bike Fit Studio
    Find us on Facebook!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    I guess my only advice for losing weight is to make gradual changes to the diet. If the changes are too quick, you won't stick to a program. I think making gradual changes will be more appropriate here.

A website like livestrong.com will allow you to track your intake and long your workouts. You can also set caloric goals. I fine-tuned my diet and workout routine last winter, although mine was more about maintaining.

I too agree with this statement. In fact this is exactly what I tell the people i train. Start with one meal, make changes and move to the next. Establish new patterns that you can stick with for the rest of your life. No diets. you don't learn anything from diets.

check out a site like livestrong.com which is also linked to the dailyplate.com and really consider a session with a nutritionist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by c-lo
    if you re-read my post you'll notice i said after a training ride. 400 calories? not even close.

a medium size banana is roughly 100 calories. depending on the protein powder (mine 80cal/scoop). 6 oz skim milk roughly 70 calories. and a couple strawberries. and not even a cup of fresh kale (1 cup equals 34 calories).

so we are talking around 250-300 calories.

and by the way this smoothie was recommended to me by the sports nutritionist i was seeing.

to the contrary it's quite easy to track how many calories you are putting into your smoothie or anything else you eat by using one of many on line tracking systems.

lets not forget about the QUALITY of those calories too. nothing bad for in there especially after a training ride.
    you forgot peanut butter. 1 tablespoon is another 100 calories.
    100 - peanut butter
    100 - 1/2 cup frozen strawberries (probably 3-4)
    100 - banana
    70 - skim milk
    15 - kale
    80 - whey protein

its a good shake for an in-shape athlete (i make shakes everyday...love them), which is probably why your nutritionist suggested it, and i assume because you're a personal trainer you're not 30lbs overweight. but for trying to lose weight, i just don't think blending stuff up into shake-form is ideal. if anything....its better to spend the time eating each individual thing one by one as opposed to making it 100% efficient to eat quickly.

and fwiw, the QUALITY of milk is very debatable. even skim. anti-biotics, (bovine) hormones, the whole homogenization process. ew

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    oopss i did forget the peanut butter. don't always put it in. however 2 tablespoons = 190

so:
    95 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    100 1 med. banana
    15 (roughly)1/4 cup Kale
    70 skim milk
    56 2 fresh strawberries
    80 1 scoop whey protein

416. so the tablespoon of peanut butter throws it over the edge. Other wise you'd be looking at 321 calories.

Remember: this is a recovery shake and if one is counting your calories there is no reason in the world why you can't drink this. And yes, I am in shape but I still had/have about 5 lbs that I want to drop.

The other purpose for this shake was to get in the important nutrients the OP may not be getting. Obviously there are so many variations of shakes one can consume for recovery or as a snack and can be modified to suit your taste and caloric requirements.

To the OP, go see a nutritionist for best results.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Hey I'm a personal trainer. just started skimming your post.

glad to hear you've lost weight. my question to you is are you tracking how many calories you are consuming daily? Most important if you want to lose weight; and have you even picked a goal weight? maybe I missed that.

consider changing up your breakfast too by adding in some protein. perhaps an 2 eggs 1 yolk with a slice or two of turkey meat on a whole wheat wrap with fresh spinach. you'd be surprised how much more filling that is than cheerios.

nothing substitutes water. agreed with others. drop the Gatorade. you don't need it. if you need flavor in your water put in some sugar free crystal light if you must.

I'm trying to keep track of my caloric intake, I'd say that I'm consuming roughly 1500 a day. I probably used to do a good 2500+ a day. I haven't had much time to ride lately so
    during my lunch break I do just a quick 6mile ride every day. I know that's not much, but that's definitely better then nothing.

I'd like to reach 200lbs, maybe a little less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    You should really consider doing a consult with a sports nutritionist. sounds like you are in starvation mode. if you aren't eating enough calories your body is going to hold onto what it's got and not let go. sounds corny but think of your body like an engine not running on all cylinders.

thing is everyone on here is going to give you what's worked for them, but ultimately what's worked for them won't work for you or me.

use a calorie tracking system like the one from livestrong.com you may not have to do it every day, but at least you'll have a better idea where you are at.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    You should really consider doing a consult with a sports nutritionist. sounds like you are in starvation mode. if you aren't eating enough calories your body is going to hold onto what it's got and not let go. sounds corny but think of your body like an engine not running on all cylinders.

thing is everyone on here is going to give you what's worked for them, but ultimately what's worked for them won't work for you or me.

use a calorie tracking system like the one from livestrong.com you may not have to do it every day, but at least you'll have a better idea where you are at.

Oh I also completely Forgot to mention that I have an underactive thyroy that I don't take medication for. I don't have the time nor money to get it dialed in with all the doctor visits/blood work

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSean
    Oh I also completely Forgot to mention that I have an underactive thyroy that I don't take medication for. I don't have the time nor money to get it dialed in with all the doctor visits/blood work

well now your challenge has grown some. not that it can't be done but it's a battle dealing with an under active thyroid.

believe me I understand your situation but let me ask you this. when you need a tooth pulled do you do it yourself or do you go to a dentist? if you break a bone you don't reset and cast it yourself do you?

unless you currently succeeding in your weight loss goals I'd suggest making the commitment to either seek a nutritionist help or a doctor.

something to think about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12