Is a heart rate needed for training w/ Power? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico
    HRMs are simple instruments that measure heart beats. How well that information is used is entirely up to the rider. If a rider says, "Forget it," and leaves the transmitter chest strap home, fine. I do it all the time, and I don't even have a PM!

Seriously, I respect what Alex has said and the reasons, yet still not convinced HR data, a component of PMs, is irrelevant. Or to use the metaphor above, why should you throw away the orange? Immediate power output is one very useful data set, heart rate another, speed and elapsed time another. So far, nobody has made a satisfactory argument that training for overall fitness should concentrate only on how many watts you're getting out of the rear wheel at any given instance.. That's what I'd like to hear more about.

So just go out and try both together for yourself for a couple of years and make your own mind up, if your in this game (endurance cycling) then your in it for the long haul and the more data and reference points your have to look back on (A races or unexpected peaks in fitness) the more you can refine your training.
    My training looks nothing like it did 2yrs ago and is night and day different to 5yrs ago but my favourite training playgrounds and loops are still my favourite's.
    FWIW l found my HRM to be hindersome pretty much on my first real training session, l have used it a handful of times since in last few years and found it to be just as annoying, even with a better understanding of my fitness and limmits with the use of a pm and the software that is available with it the HR data is never consistant as there is always something that bumps it around even on loops l have trained on for 10yrs, it's just a down right pain in the butt,
    but you may still find it useful even if you don't have it visable to galance at it in training and racing but be able go back and analise both HR and power data after your sessions.
    Just my 2c.

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    That's true, and most of the experienced power meter users would not accept that idea. However, the idea that power data should be supplemented does not imply that the additional data should be heart rate. RPE is a much better choice as it integrates all physiological strain on the rider rather than just the single metric of heart rate.

But if you're serious about learning about this subject, I suggest you subscribe to the wattage group on Google. This topic, and many others, has been covered thoroughly there.
    +1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    That's true, and most of the experienced power meter users would not accept that idea. However, the idea that power data should be supplemented does not imply that the additional data should be heart rate. RPE is a much better choice as it integrates all physiological strain on the rider rather than just the single metric of heart rate.

But if you're serious about learning about this subject, I suggest you subscribe to the wattage group on Google. This topic, and many others, has been covered thoroughly there.
    "Rate of Perceived exertion".....hmm, how hard do I feel I'm working? Have to agree, it isn't always synchronous with heat rate, but with me, its always within 10 bpm. Once in a while, like during an all out effort, I might be surprised that its 20 bpm faster than perceived, and on another day, I can't get it up to where I'd like it, no matter what.

So I'll still put my faith in hard data rather than perceptions, which can be as misleading as heart rates, with respect to actual power transferred measurable in watts. But this has been a valuable discussion. Now, as you suggest, I should scare up a PM to see what everyone's talking about. Thanks to all! Ride hard!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567