How to control my diet? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can't Hardly Wait
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    My goal for losing weight is 4 days on, 2 days off. I'll deal with the pain and quit snacking, quit eating the junk food, and be strict with my diet for 4 days straight. If I did JUST the strict diet, I would lose 1-2lbs/wk -- approximately 500-1000cal/day deficit, depending how much riding I am doing that week.

After that, I'll take 2 days to eat how I used to (ie, NOT horrible, but with some leeway). Since I only usually gain 0-1lb/month, this is only usually a calorie gain of ~200 extra calories/day.

Thus, I would lose 3-7lbs/month. I keep my weight at 150lbs and my ideal weight is 145, so I only need a month to get back to race weight. It's sort of like riding block intervals -- ride 3 days, off 1. Instead, I'm losing weight 4 days and gain 2.

I kinda like this idea. Thanks!

G

Jan 2008

cheese????

thanks for the reply..you recommend me to have cheese ...i had read somewhere that cheese is fat and not healthy diet ,nut ok...is that so?i want to know the details...

Jan 2008

I have whey protein

First of all thanks for the reply.....the walnut and almond costs a very big amount here thats the first reason..its very rare here.its an imported item thats the spike price...i dont mix any mayonnaise in my salad on afternoon...and for protein craving,,i will have whey protein after my workout...it full of egg white contents in it..after hitting protein shake.i boils the egg and have only white from it..i dont supply it regularly..only after when i hits for chest and biceps..these parts need to get in shape and in healthy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    "Cravings" are often the body telling you what you need. However ou bodys don't understand our modern chem/food stuff. Craving sweets could mean to eat more fruit or sweet veggies but gets translated into twinkies by our modern brains. Cravings can also be emotional responces to stress or habbit. We all at junk as kids but as grownups we are still living with those selections. The grownup should make those selections with there (hopefully) grownup mind. Nobody is perfect, IMO if you truly eat well 90% of the time and limit the portions of you 10% you will do fine. I also suggest to my clients that rather then remove less healthy foods that they add more healthy ones. Take your time with weight loss, the quicker you loose the quicker you gain.
    In terms of overall health (not just weight) exercise is more important the diet according to the research I read. Those studies are looking at the health effects of a sedentary lifestyle and found the even some minor exercise will often cancel out the effects of a less then optimum diet. There are many diets available to us now but in terms of long term weight loss and health the studies are all clear. An over lifestyle change is the best effective long term stratagy. Docs suggestions can lead to long turm loss of muscle mass and an increase in systematic inflamation. I do this for a living. My best advise is to not get your diet advise on a forum such as this. Get a nutrition coach or dietition and set up a resonable plan to get fit and live well. If you do nothing, nothing will change
    Last edited by homebrew; 01-17-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I kinda like this idea. Thanks!

G
    No problem. It really helps knowing that there is a break to the stomach "pain." It's easier to push toward the finish line when it is in sight, whereas one long, continuous diet has a much higher temptation to cheat since there is almost no leeway (and, if there is, it is not a defined amount).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Wow, there is a lot of bad advice in this thread. Eat a big breakfast? Since when is that a good idea for weight control? 1/2 cup of soy based cereal and 1/2 cup of low-fat no-sugar yogurt is probably too many calories for most people trying to lose weight.

There are a lot of people out there who have never struggled with their weight (due to genetics) that love to give out diet advice. I've also noticed there are a lot of overweight people who like to give diet advice. I've battled my weight since childhood (due to genetics) and have kept it under control. I'm 5'7 140 pounds currently. During riding season I'll get down in the 130s and get my bodyfat around 10%. In 30 years of weight struggle I've learned quite a bit. I've helped a number of friends lose some serious weight.

First eating to lose weight, and eating healthy are two completely seperate issues. When you treat them as one, it can get awfully confusing. So for the record, you can eat unhealthy and lose weight, you can eat unhealthy and gain weight, you can eat healthy and lose weight and you can eat healthy and gain weight. The two issues are not related. You should always strive to eat healthy. But that is not a requirement to lose weight. And you can gain plenty of weight while eating healthy foods.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Well technically you could have something amputated or have liposuction. But short of surgery there is only one way to lose weight. Eat less than you burn, PERIOD. A pound of fat is 3,500 calories (technically kcals, but we'll use the term calorie). If your basal metabolic rate is 2,000 calories per day and you burn another 500 calories through exercise you are burning 2,500 calories per day. If you eat 1,300 calories per day you are in a 1,200 calorie per day deficit and will lose approximately 1 pound of fat every 3 days. It does not matter if you eat 1,200 calories of broccoli or 1,200 calories of snickers bars. Although for the sake of your health, I don't suggest the snickers bars. But a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Some people will say, yes but the glycemic index says breads will cause you to store more fat than lean meat. When you are in a 1,200 calorie deficit every day, your body is storing no fat. So the glycemic index is completely irrelevant. It does come more into play when you are in "maintenance mode". That is when you are eating nearly the same calories that you are burning. Or if you are eating more calories than you are burning.

Some people will say, "You're body will go into starvation mode!" That's what fat people say to justify to themselves not restricting their caloric intake. There are no fat people in prison camps. Studies have shown a very slight (less than 5%) , very temporary reduction in basal metabolic rate when the initial calorie restriction takes place. You metabolism returns to it's normal rate very shortly afterwards. Your body cannot defy the laws of physics. There is no "starvation mode" that will somehow make you lose less weight when you restrict your calories more.

Exercise certainly helps, but the diet is MUCH more imporant. An hour on the trainer burns 600ish calories. A bucket of movie theater popcorn has an amazing 1,650 calories. If you think you can eat tons of calories and just exercise more, you are doomed to failure. So ideally you restrict your calories heavily and exercise. But if you can't exercise due to time constraints, etc, you can still lose weight at a good rate with just diet alone.

Game on, b*tches!
    Now that I think about it, that's kinda what I do. I'm "good" for most of the week but allow myself to have some goodies 1-2 days/week.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Game on, b*tches!
    Thank you! I've always maintained what you've just said. It ain't rocket science. Lose weight; you eat fewer calories than you take in; doesn't really matter when you eat those calories, either (never eating after say, 9pm is silly, btw). Total calories in vs total calories used.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Jan 2008

Dangerous

Cyanide...? whats this man..if an essence of cyanide is there we will die right....can u give the details..?

Jan 2008

thank god that i am not a smoker

thanks for the reply..I am not at all a smoker..thank god for that..

Jan 2008

ok

hahaha..thats funny...

May 2002
    I've been putting Doc_D's advice to use on www.physicsdiet.com . Burn more than you eat!!!!!

Oct 2004
    I would not recommend a 1,200-calorie deficit for anybody doing any kind of regular training. That is bad advice Doc. It is a set-up for failure. Maybe 500 to 600-calorie deficit and for many people that have really been overeating, you might even want to work up to the 500-600 deficits over time. If you are only using the 1,200 calorie deficit as an analogy to show how much weight can be lost in three days, then analogy accepted. Nevertheless, I would not recommend anybody do this. The reason why I recommend up to 6 small meals per day is, in layman's terms, the stomach will adapt the stretch receptors to feeling full with less food (provided you take your time and eat slowly). Sure, you could theoretically eat one big meal per day of the required calories, but then you are more likely to overeat because if you do eat again, it will take more food for those stretch receptors to signal to the brain that you are satiated. Because you are planning to eat more small meals per day, you are also more likely over the course of the week to miss some meals. No big deal when this happens and if you are attempting to loose weight or even maintain weight, this is a good thing because it will assist you in achieving your goals by balancing caloric intake over time should you indulge on occasion.

I will not argue over a calorie is a calorie, but I think you are missing the point. It is not the calories so much as the stomach's stretch receptors signaling to the brain that you are satiated. Let us say it takes 8 cubic inches of food for someone to feel satisfied. They could eat 8 cubic inches of quality, lean low glycemic and lower fat food or a big mac and feel satiated. Which foods are going to help them loose or maintain weight over time?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    A 1,200 calorie deficit is very reasonable for someone who is overweight. That equates to roughly 2 pounds of weight loss per week. For someone 80 pounds over weight, your recommendation would take them nearly 2 years to lose their weight. That's what's going to set them up for failure. Success breeds success and failure breeds failure. Seeing results is the best motivator.

The other points that you touch on address the physiological and psycological aspects of hunger. I didn't even try to address those issues. I have a lot of theories on this too. The biggest of which is the same things don't work for everyone. To some degree each person has to find the eating habits that make it easier for them to stick to their caloric restrictions. I can't do the 6 small meals per day. It's much easier for me to do 3 bigger meals. Some people do better with the 6 small meals. For me it's about the volume of food I get. I like to feel full. So I'd much rather eat larger volumes of foods that have a low calorie density. My girlfriend (who also struggles with her weight) could care less about the volume of food she gets. But she wants to be able to have a snack (something chocolate) every now and then and is willing to eat a lower volume of food to be able to fit it into her calorie restrictions.

You brought up the glycemic index. It's totally pointless for people who are in a significant calorie deficit. Just more smoke and mirrors to confuse the "a calorie is a calorie" issue.

The biggest way to set someone up for failure is to try to design a complex diet for them. To tell them they have to eat this many meals. They have to have kale tofu salmon salad. They can't have this, they can never have that.

My theory is the only rule a dieter has to follow is they must be in a reasonable caloric deficit. Other than that they are free to find out what works for them and to modify that on a daily basis.

Game on, b*tches!
    Yer making sense, Doc, atmo....

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Jan 2008

Grocery list..hehe

Yeah sure..i am making a Grocery list and hitting salads afternoon..anyways thanks for the reply man..

Jan 2008

ok

Ok thanks for the reply man... i am doing that nowadays i kicked chococlates and read meat which was stuffed in my fridge..now my fridge is filled up with groceries ,oats,salads and many list..i thing i am getting into herbivores...

Jan 2008

no redmeat..

I am eating like that and salads and oats fix my diet well.no more redmeat and cheese..

banned
    Nov 2001
    The Doc gets my vote-- I lost 25-30 lbs between Jan 30 and June 6 last year- biggest loser contest at my job-- I came in 3rd (I wasnt that fat to begin with). After all these years of reading how it was a good idea to reward myself after long rides and eating just because I knew the food was there, I was ready to make a change in my diet. Since I already ride 5000 miles a year (min), the exercise was there-- I also learned its ok to be hungry and it passes.
    Its making sensible choices and, if you're bad, you can make up for it later-- a few times at work I indulged in some cheesecake (ok, a lot of cheesecake), but at dinner I only had a salad instead of a full blown meal.
    I didnt cut out anything-- I still like steak, but my portion size has changed-- I eat more servings of fruit and veggies during meals and for snacks then I did before.
    My breakfast stays pretty constant-- a banana and a bowl of oatbran w/ cinamon, brown sugar and flaxseed meal. It works!

Jan 2008
    Thanks for the reply Mdeth..i am also in the manner that complete and a strict..i have salads in afternoon with fish mixed with it and dinner protein powder and egg white and chappathies...i am on the way of reducing weight...and congrats for the weight loss.

Jan 2008

Question please??

whats in this post..i didn't get clear....

Jan 2008

Thanks

Hey thank you for the link..physics diet..i sign up in that site..thank you once again...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Doc, I respect your passion but I would suggest you do a little more research. I am a health and nutrition certified coach. I do this stuff everyday.I have spent countless hours (years) in seminars and even more on research and put it to use on a daily basis with clients. IMO and of the research I have studied "diets" in general only produce short term results for most people. Restricting carlories and only looking at calories is proven in countless studies to have a low success rate for long term weight loss.It further does not address overall health. It results in the yo yo effect that is also bad for your health. It can lead to muscle loss and bone density loss. If you wish to look at my program in detail please PM me and I will give you my website. I would be pleased to listen to your comments. You will read of my own struggles with weight and diabetes and my family history. I have many clients that are now living healthy active lives. The key is adding healthy foods. Foods that give a high nutritional punch for the carlories. You are absolutley correct in that no one diet is for everyone. In fact you will see on my site that this is the foundation of my work. Working with a client to find the things that work for them. Your advice on caloric restriction is both true but limited and even missleading at the same time, its not complete and what it fails to say is so important. While it may have worked for you and your iron will (have you had a bone density test? ) I fear will fail in the long term. Hope to hear from you soon and keep up that passion, thats a healthy thing

No Crybabies

motivation

It's all about motivation. Properly motivated, you will figure out how to lose weight.

Enter a race with some big monster hills. Note the appearance of all the guys who blow by you and drop you one third of the way into a big climb. Guarantee about all will be skinny little twirps. Since you may well have been pulling them along on the flats, you are probably making more power than them. Hmm. Dang. You could probably be totally kicking their butts if you took 20 pounds off. That's more than a whole bike, full water bottles included. That should be motivating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Read the labels on stuff you eat, you may be eating more sugar than you think! (and sugar comes in many names)

High fiber is always a plus, get the stuff through the plumbing quicker and can fill you up a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast