How to control my diet? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mar 2008
    Last edited by Aeryn; 03-14-2008 at 10:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    After reading this and wanting to ad something in I decided to post a web page you all need to read it goes of of the calorie is a calorie thing but into great detail with many helpful tools I love this website and it has helped me get more motivated since I had lost from 300(before cycling) down to 185 then recently back up to 215 because of making excuses about no I can eat that I ride well no calories are the key!!! go to http://www.theloseweightdiet.com you will love it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hows it goin for ya shaunx? I'm hitting salads alot too, try walnuts a few raisins and balsamic vinegar on yer salads.

Located in Wakefield, MA
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by terzo rene

Arrange to get all the fat people around you at work fired too, since they always haul in an endless supply of crap and make comments like you need to eat more, you're way too thin, etc. etc.
    LOL! SO true....I'm so sick of hearing that I'm 'too thin', when I'm in the best shape of my life right now. ~160 lbs, 6'2.

(Edit: sorry, I didn't realize this thread was from July!)
    "Don't upgrade - ride up grades."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

A little bit different problem.

Okay, I'm a college student. I'm at a fairly reasonable weight but I'm interested in maybe dropping a small number of pounds (x<5). I feel like when I go to the dining hall I can make smart decisions. Most of my calories come in the form of vegetables and things like that, and I eat fairly reasonable proportions. I DO NOT need help with this part. The thing that gets me messed up are the care packages. Everyone seems to think that I'm lonely here and that I need "comfort food." While I've started taking my care packages and leaving about half the contents on the table in the lounge area of my suite, there are times when people send me nicer stuff that comes in smaller quantities (See's candy) and I would feel weird leaving three pieces of candy on the table (normally I leave a package of fun size Milky Way bars or something). In any case, how do I get my family to stop sending me this junk without offending people? If that can't be done, how do I stop myself from eating it?

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007

You can't win.

It's nearly impossible to explain it (at least for me), so you just have to give the stuff away. Or subtly suggest that you could really use some music more than snacks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Just ask them to not send junk food and ask for gift cards to the grocery store or more money on your dinning hall account instead. Phrase it like 'since its winter I like the hot food in the dining hall to warm up' or 'since its winter I want to get more fruit for the vitamins to avoid a cold'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by axionn
    Just ask them to not send junk food and ask for gift cards to the grocery store or more money on your dinning hall account instead. Phrase it like 'since its winter I like the hot food in the dining hall to warm up' or 'since its winter I want to get more fruit for the vitamins to avoid a cold'.
    Yeah, that's the approach that I took with my parents. My relationship with them is such that I can do that. Unfortunately, some relatives that I talk to a lot less frequently decide to send me things and they are harder to deal with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I've lost over 27 pounds since June. I spent a helluva lot more time on the bike. I now stretch for 20-30 minutes two to three times a day. I also do crunches, push-ups and a few exercises with 15, 20, 25, and 30 lb dumbbells for 20 minutes before bed every night.

But, the big change for me was changing how I eat. I don't drink sodas any more. I also stay away from all candy and deserts and most red meat. I pretty much went cold turkey on all that garbage.

I now eat a lot of fruits and veggies throughout the day. I start with a couple boiled eggs in the morning and cup of some kind of Granola (Nature's Path with pumpkin and flax seeds). That is like my candy. It assuages most cravings for sweets during the day. I also grab an apple or banana if I feel the need for a Kit Kat or peanut M&M's. I eat my lunch throughout the day, not just at one time. I also drink water all day. The only time I "cheat" is when I go to a movie and occasionally get a small popcorn and a small Coke. (I used to get a large of both.)

I really have to say that it is easy to maintain when it becomes a habit and when you realize how fantastic it feels to ride faster, climb faster and in higher gears and do longer rides and recover way faster. Not to mention it just feels good to be strong like I was 20 years ago.
    Last edited by h2o-x; 12-13-2008 at 10:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I suspect that calorie counting works for some people. They need to obsess on the calories to make themselves feel good about what they are doing, especially in the beginning of a lifestyle change, when the physical results aren't yet evident. They feel they are making progress because their calorie count is "right".

I personally, don't agree with that philosophy. I am an elementary school teacher, and I can't tell you how many of my peers I have seen over the years get obsessed with calories. (It's virtually a daily discussion in most elementary school teachers' lounges.) For many of them the calorie thing worked for the short term, but a vast majority of them gained back the weight (and or more) when they came at it from a "this is how many calories I can have" philosophy. The people I have seen lose weight (i.e. get fit) and maintain a healthy body weight and physique didn't care about the number of calories they ate, they decided to eat healthy and get exercise. These people truly experienced a lifestyle paradigm shift, and they have stayed fit and strong and have, subsequently, kept the weight off.

One of the women I taught with had a sign at her desk that read: Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. I thought about that at Thanksgiving this year when I was going for a second piece of pie. I skipped the pie.

Oct 2008
    Lost 62lbs since June 1.

Lotsa low cardio cycling....not speed demon riding....some upper body weights....and I run now too. (Want to do some triathlons)

Anyway, diet...

I've found a banana in the morning is pretty good for breakfast (fills you up and about 100 cal) I didn't quit the flavored creamer yet...so breakfast runs about 300 cals or so. Sometimes I have good cereal with skim milk instead.

A 100-150 cal snack at 9:30AM or so (something decent such as granola/Fiber One Bar or such) not super healthy per se but will help with cravings for sweets and still be somewhat healthy.

Lunch, get some whole wheat low cal bread and have chicken/turkey/low cal ham, whatever with mustard, not mayo. (only 200-300 cals with some granola too)

Another snack at abt 3pm (similar to AM snack)

A reasonable dinner. Some fish/lean beef/pork, etc with veggies and salad.

Protein shakes with skim milk and blueberries are great after workout or at bed on a lower cal day (less than 1500) to get the cal count up and also for rebuilding while you sleep when your body does its major building/healing, etc.

The biggest thing is to count the cals and eat good fats and good carbs. 1600 to 1850 cals seems to work well w/o major withdrawals)

I went through a period when I quit this and I wanted to eat more again...gained 3 or 4 lbs and went back to the tight plan.

Oh, keeping a spreadsheet that calculates the daily cals helps you see what you eat, how much, when and where to make adjustments. A kitchen scale helps with portions too.

Good luck!
    Last edited by paganopj; 12-18-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Greetings from Jacksonville, Florida
    Giant TCR A1 (2008)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    will power, bro. It can't turn into fat if you don't put it into your mouth. A little bit of anger and self-loathing goes a long way towards losing some weight ;)

Apr 2006

calories in calories out

in the widest sense of the word 'dieting' is nonsense, so many people think that a certain 'diet' will magically make their fat go away...it seems the simpler things are to understand the more people think "noooo that cant be right can it?"

SAME AMOUNT CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT = stable weight
    MORE CALORIES IN LESS CALORIES OUT = weight gain
    LESS CALORIES IN MORE CALORISE OUT = weight loss

simple! eat less or exercise more!!

the reason is that ANYTHING (carbs, protein, fat) that the body has an excess of it will transform into fat and store it...it doesnt give a sh*t if its low fat rye bread or cheese oil and steaks!! or even lettuce...trying to get this message across however is like this ...
    Last edited by M__E; 12-20-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: heading

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x

But, the big change for me was changing how I eat. I don't drink sodas any more. I also stay away from all candy and deserts and most red meat. I pretty much went cold turkey on all that garbage..
    Im sorry red meat 'garbage'..WTF u looney!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123