How do i get to 400w 20 minute threshold? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    i'd like to see the OP's V02max numbers from a lab to get an idea of his genetic potential.
    VO2 max is not the only genetic potential. In fact, it's not even that great of one, especially in this case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

improvement

since I originally posted i have tested myself again.

Here are my average wattages at time:

20min = 310w
    60min = 288w

I did a race yesterday (crashed, too) so was feeling it today. I think I can do better next time.

I lost 3lbs, too. Now 174lbs.

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    VO2 max is not the only genetic potential. In fact, it's not even that great of one, especially in this case.

2nd.....

Plus it doesn't matter since he has weight to lose. VO2 is almost worthless unless we're talking about very highly trained individuals with very low body fat. It's more of a measure of how much more blood you can squeeze from the stone rather than an absolute predictor of athletic potential, ask Big Mig and Olano, both were big mofos though. This coming from someone who is very light and has a high VO2 for not being PRO

Starnut

What Would Google Do.

Noooooooooooooooooo..

Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_nyc
    Hey guys (and gals?),

Thanks for the info and debate. I'm a Cat 5 racer, had great success on my first few races...and just want to keep progressing....

.......Do you have some tips on making more power?..........but what I really have no clue about is what I should do to make more power.
    its painfully easy (literally!) just ride your cotten (coolmax )socks off and race very aggressively and keep getting blown out the back of the field when caught, and just keep doing this, you want to be at the stage where you are riding very aggressively AND still being in the mix for the breakaway/winning group, which will take pateince pain and humbleness to achieve. just ride hard hard hard and when you think your ring too hard, RIDE HARDER!!! - too many guys just race tactically and think of short term winning, and not the long haul. If you want to 'make it' (at whatever level you choose) - remember this from Lemond "it doesnt get any easier, it just gets faster" - that just sums it right from one of the best modern era pros, more people should remember this!.. its up to you how fast/how much power you want to end up with

sure you'll get some trolls on here banging on about what intrvls to do and such, but you cant ask the guys in races to wait for ten minutes to recover before you let them attack you...exactly, less time listening to people on forums and more time listening to the ones who are cutting their way through the ranks of racing cats and coaches. Of course Im on this forum and just as faceless as the rest in an online community, but ask yourself the question are more people here in the top cats that are giving you advice or in the lower3-4/5 cats?? its all about suffering and riding - just do it (if you want the improvements your after, then this is your best shot)
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Apr 2009
    Update:

20 minute is now 333w
    60 minute is now 306w

...let's go 400!

PS: I am OP, changed my name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To what do you attribute the increase? What sorts of workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by G A /\/\ /\/\ A
    Update:

20 minute is now 333w
    60 minute is now 306w

...let's go 400!

PS: I am OP, changed my name.
    I will estimate that you top out at 320w FTP. Unless you are just learning better pacing, which could be the case, your gains will not be exponential for long.

400w is a big goal. You're pushing genetic potential territory near that point. Or, you are training a ridiculous amount of hours to work your way there. One will just take longer than the other.

Apr 2009
    I will estimate that you top out at 320w FTP. Unless you are just learning better pacing, which could be the case, your gains will not be exponential for long.

400w is a big goal. You're pushing genetic potential territory near that point. Or, you are training a ridiculous amount of hours to work your way there. One will just take longer than the other.

Considering that I had a traumatic shoulder injury (stage 3 separation) from a crash in the end of April, i was just happy to not have lost power. I have a very strong athletic background as a nationally ranked swimmer. Sky's the limit, baby!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G A /\/\ /\/\ A
    Considering that I had a traumatic shoulder injury (stage 3 separation) from a crash in the end of April, i was just happy to not have lost power. I have a very strong athletic background as a nationally ranked swimmer. Sky's the limit, baby!
    Thats what I love to hear!! Optimism is your best friend. Just keep training and the fitness will come. Just a little mention, but when we are talking watt/kg, it has almost no relevance in a flat area unless we are talking Crits. Where I live, it is all about power. In Southern Ontario, I couldn't find a hill with more than 10 meters of elevation for 100+ miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Got any updates G A /\/\ /\/\ A ?

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by benk10
    Got any updates G A /\/\ /\/\ A ?
    PM is your friend

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    PM is your friend
    Then why didn't you PM me instead of calling me out in front of everyone?

Dumb to estimate.

Keep working at it, regardless of what people say. Even if you don't get there, you'll still be fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Hey guys/gals,

So, I moved back to NYC last July and spent the rest of last season rehabbing the separated shoulder and training on my own arbitrary schedule...but, never did another LT or FTP test. However, i did get a powertap and noticed that my outdoor efforts were nowhere near the results that i had witnessed on the computrainer earlier in the season. For example, my max recorded 60min wattage was around 270w, but this was just random training rides with teammates.

In September, i decided to get more focused in training and got a good coach. The training plan hasn't focused on 20-minute power, more on endurance (ie 2-3hour rides at 240-260w) to this point. I did take a "ramp test" last week and scored 315w for 30min and 305w for 60min. I did notice that my HR was nice and low and that my wattage was consistent. In comparison, the computrainer test i did had a VERY high HR (close to 180 the whole 20 minutes) and the wattage was very inconsistent (up to 500w then down to 250w then to 350w...).

I'm supposed to take another "ramp test" in 2 weeks or so...i'll post up the results, but hoping to do much better.

On another note, i've been cutting back on calories BIG time and am now down to 168lbs, so watts/kg is probably improved.
    Last edited by soulfly_nyc; 01-08-2010 at 05:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    FYI 400W FTP will win you national championships in most places. But good luck all the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceoftruth
    FYI 400W FTP will win you national championships in most places. But good luck all the same.
    That would be wonderful, but i'm just trying to get the 20min power "near" that level...

So far i've been focused on the longer endurance power (ie 3hour) but will start working the shorter stuff in the next few months.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    That would be wonderful, but i'm just trying to get the 20min power "near" that level...

So far i've been focused on the longer endurance power (ie 3hour) but will start working the shorter stuff in the next few months.
    What are your goals? If you want to win local P/1/2 road races, you might decide to focus on tilting your efforts toward shorter durations well before you can put out 5 w/kilo for 20 minutes (unless you live someplace where a lot of the races require staying at the front of really long climbs).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided
    What are your goals? If you want to win local P/1/2 road races, you might decide to focus on tilting your efforts toward shorter durations well before you can put out 5 w/kilo for 20 minutes (unless you live someplace where a lot of the races require staying at the front of really long climbs).
    Right now, just want to upgrade to Cat 3. I'm guessing that will come a lot sooner than 400w for 20min. Whether i get it or not, still fun trying...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Tabata, baby!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The guys r right. "Ride lots." Hammer when you feel good, take a rest week at least once a month, watch what you eat, blah, blah,blah. But FTP of 400? Man, I dunno. If the stars align for you, then I'm happy for you. You go, girl!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Took another ramp test, 30min power went up to 330w from 315w and FTP is now 320w versus 305w last month. Weight is down to 168lbs.

I'm getting a lot of out the workout program...hope to get up to 340w FTP before the season.

PS: The original intent was to get to 400w for 20 minute power, not 400w FTP.
    Last edited by soulfly_nyc; 01-23-2010 at 05:36 PM.

What Would Google Do.
    PS: The original intent was to get to 400w for 20 minute power, not 400w FTP.
    those numbers are usually around 5% of each other though so its *almost* the same thing

___

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    those numbers are usually around 5% of each other though so its *almost* the same thing
    I'd suggest that FTP is more typically ~ 90-95% of 20-min power. can be lower or higher

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST
    I'd suggest that FTP is more typically ~ 90-95% of 20-min power. can be lower or higher
    Oui. Mine is at 93%.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Already putting our French lessons to work, are we?

In the past I've found my FTP to be about 95% of CP20 according to training peaks, FWIW.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast