How long can you last at max HR.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    some approaches base training zones as a percentage of max heart rate, but this is inaccurate since these change with fitness (e.g., threshold heart rate/max heart rate increases with fitness).
    There's nothing particularly wrong or "inaccurate" with using Max HR to determine training zones/levels. You just need to test for it, in the same sense that you need to test for an average heart rate in a TT effort if basing training levels on a "threshold" HR.

Of course there is no single threshold HR, but a range of HR's typically experienced when riding at threshold levels.

My HRmax usually reduces with improved fitness.

I ride in circles..
    If you actually hit your physical MAX heart rate you might last a few seconds there.

Last week I tested myself on my rollers with plenty of fans blowing on me. I gradually built up my heart rate over an hour before picking up the pace. I simply wanted to see how high I could get my heart rate. Once I got over 195 I was really pushing it.. once I hit 201 I was totally out of it.. I held it for maybe 3 seconds before I eased off. It took a few more seconds to drop under 200. I continued to spin at 90rpm with some resistance for another 15 minuted or so.. Took maybe 30 seconds or so for my heart to slow down to normal.. However I was dead. I could still feel the effort the next day. Never before has an indoor bike workout left me so dead.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Custom User Title
    I think every HR max formula is a rough, rough guide, and not very accurate. My last 9 mile run consisted of 3.5 miles in zone 4 and 5.5 miles in zone 5.

In Garmin Training Center, my max heart rate is 189, which is pretty consistent using some of the popular HR max formulas. I don't know how applicable to me the formulas are, though. When I run shorter distances, I'm always in the 95% or more range. When I run longer distances, I drop into 90-95% range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Everyone is different. It also depends on what you did yo get yourself up there to max HR

I ride in circles..
    Heart rate can be sport specific as well.. My heart changes smoothly on my bike.. If I run it jumps all over.. when I swim it's steady.

Last weekend I competed in my first kayak race.. 7 miles.. 1:09. Plenty slow but it was as hard as I could go. Felt like my arms were falling off but my heart rate never went up.. Might have been in the 140's. For as hard as I was paddling I would have thought it would be higher.

Something I've noticed with higher heart rates mirrors what was said above.. Depends on what you did prior. If you're slugging away at 90% for a long time and then sprint you'll likely fade pretty quick. If you're riding steady at 75% and then hammer you might last a little longer at max before you blow up.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

always right sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by donnaj867
    Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Weird. Yes is your answer. Are you busy watching Harry Potter, or did we scare you away?

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    How long can you last at max HR....
    Chris Hoy can tell ya and it's probably a number that is countable on two hands -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not Banned

I'd ask a good

cx coach because most elite cxers push near max (not max but close) for an hour. I wore an HRM for a few cross races and indeed I was always over 90% for the duration but that is 90% plus and not MAX
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Chris Hoy can tell ya and it's probably a number that is countable on two hands -
    that must have been his warm up - no bucket in that pic...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use mine for warm up and warm down only... also to help guide me from where I can hit it from with out blowing up or doing an O ring!! If I am going hard I donít have time to look at my max whilst on the pedals full tilt.

Taking a step to the left field here...I had 12 months off and jumped back on near 6 months ago and got a new Polar CS600X hr computer to treat myself for the progress back to fitness. In the 6 months, I went from having a max 172bpm 6 months ago to a max of 218bpm atm. My resting has lowered from 44bpm to 38bpm...Nice to know for me but donít care about max when doing efforts as I ride to how I feel. And if I hit a new high thatís great!!

People should spend what they can afford and avoid the rubbish that they donít need, also be honest with them self when it comes to their fitness and power they have on tap.
    S-Works Sl3 Project Black....nice!!

VIP
    Over 9000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12