Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

increasing average speed

12K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  RoadrunnerLXXI 
#1 ·
High there second year rider first road bike.
i am a recreational rider looking to boost my average cruise mph what is the best way thanks for all input

#2 ·
Pedal harder.

Smart-alec answer; sorry. But without lots of more specific information about you and what kind of riding you do, and how much, etc., it's impossible to give more specific advice.

#7 ·
It essentially comes down to watts/kg and aerodynamics.
Watts can be increased by training. Endless reading available on this.
Kg can be reduced by consuming less calories that burning (simple answer with lots of other considerations). Also be careful doing this while trying to train hard.
Improved aerodynamics achieved two ways. Inexpensive and expensive. Wear tight clothing and ride in an aero position are inexpensive options. Deep dish carbon wheels, aero frames, aero helmet are expensive options.

#10 ·
First thing is don't treat training like it's racing all the time. Warm up and cool down before and after your hard rides, and at least match the time spent riding hard, with riding easy on other days for giving your legs some active recovery. But only a coach you actually work with could tell you more, or what kind of schedule might be best.

#14 ·
I have lost 25 pounds now 38years old 5ft 10 152lbs and picked up 1.5 miles an hour on my average I usually ride a 10 mile loop a couple times a week and a couple charity type rides last year I put on three hundred miles this year it's looking like 800 miles so yeah with limited time,work and family I am trying to improve realistically as much as reasonably possible

#15 ·
Ride more. Unfortunately, cycling requires a huge time commitment to improve.

It just depends on what you want to get out of it. That is not a judgment. If riding a little bit a couple times a week is all you want to do, keep it up. Cycling is my drug of choice. It takes up an unreasonable amount of my life. I just don't think I'll be on my death bed wishing I had worked more and ridden less.

Cycling is not like rec softball or basketball clubs, where you can play for 2 hours a week and still be good.

#24 ·
Try a spin class

I do at least one spin class a week. Helps a lot with endurance and overall speed because with a good instructor your doing intervals, long seated climbs, standing intervals, speed work and more. you control the resistance or watts so only you really know how hard your pushing yourself. It does not take the place of longer weekend rides but definitely helps them in a lot of ways.

#22 ·
Carpooling is perfect, you just need to get your head around this.....
Take your bike in the summer and ride it home in lieu of the pool. If you have light in the morning ride it in to work. You got flex time?
85 miles @ 15mph is about 6 hours.
You will not have time for golf in the evening though.

#26 ·
the most dramatic increase in average speed for me came after I was professionally fitted. My very unscientific observation has me 1.5 miles faster on all my usual routes.

For those interested, my seat came down a bit and forward by more than a bit. I went from mashing power behind the BB and resting periodically...to steady continuous smooth delivery (cadence shot through the roof as well).

#27 ·
Hill workout will improve your speed, especially if you do repeats. I mix hills with pedaling in the big gears on flats. Your cadence will drop but over time, your legs get used to the harder gears, your cadence will jump back up again. You will noticed the difference when you sprint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.