Intervals? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intervals?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The general rule is to do 3 to 4 hard days a week max. The rest of the days should be easy. So maybe one should be a longer spirited group ride, and the other two could be interval sessions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I have to think that recovery rides are under appreciated. I would not do too many hard interval workouts in a week, but make them count and then spin to recovery with little stress to clear those legs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Well, if anyone here knew me, they would know that I am the king of recovery ... to a fault if anything. I rarely if ever over train. Just getting myself on the bike some weeks is a chore, not in the sense of I hate riding, just I hate the cold or the rain, timing, life in the way, etc.

I will likely be attempting my killer death interval week next April and will just let you all know how it goes. I am thinking that one training interval until I don't want to see my bike should really boot me into my build portion of training and look forward to the decreased and crappy times I am putting out on Day 6. Come day 7 and 8 I will enjoy a nice recovery and off day, and then follow it up with a more regular schedule after that.

Of course a study of one will not exactly inspire much confidence, but I think those in the audience who have actually done a 6 day madison race might appreciate my thought process.

USAC Level 2 Coach
    Sep 2008
    kamikazeDad: If you have been racing on and off for 25 years you are probably starting to get to a point where you just cant do what you could do 10 years ago. So training the way you did back then is not a great idea. Our bodies change and adapt with age and we need to be aware of it. But again as with most of my posts, it comes down to specificity. Are you planning on doing a stage race that is six days long? No? well then replicating that is not a great idea. PM me if you want to chat more.
    Mahting Putelis
    (360) 927-1751
    www.purcoaching.com
    Passion Unveils Results
    Sonic Boom Racing - Team Manager

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LatvianRider View Post
    kamikazeDad: Are you planning on doing a stage race that is six days long? No? well then replicating that is not a great idea. PM me if you want to chat more.
    You don't know what a 6-day is and you're offering to give him coaching advice?

USAC Level 2 Coach
    Sep 2008
    Mike thanks I know well and good what a six day race is. And yes some would call it a stage race. We have similar races in the states except riders don't ride on the track instead they race multiple days of crits. In fact some are two weeks long. Please don't be so assumptive. There are many ways to describe racing situations. And so I stand by my original question to the poster. What kind of racing will you be doing this season? And is it similar to the six days of intervals you propose? Yes? Great? There are still more things to consider.
    Best,
    Mahting
    Mahting Putelis
    (360) 927-1751
    www.purcoaching.com
    Passion Unveils Results
    Sonic Boom Racing - Team Manager

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I was not posting this question for my specific situation, as I was more looking at the general ? of do any of the coaches/racers here have experience with killing it for 6 straight days. I have done this with success many times, and always feel better after it, as do many of my fellow 6 day racers. However my intervals at the end of the 6 days are pretty sad, but my thought is they are working something at that point that is slightly different than the standard intervals with rest are working and that it is good for you anyways.

So while I might be a 42 year old who is reaching the point where my body doesn't respond as well is not the point. The fact that I will be doing a 6 day madison race again in 2013 is not the point, I was hoping that I would find some other people who have experience with what 6 straight days of intervals does to you and if you could better replicate this with 4 sessions over 7 days instead for an early season jump start. As I mentioned earlier, this is like doing the tour to improve your shot at the Olympics.

My opinion is that I think everyone who is in solid shape and looking to get to the next level should plan at least 1 or 2 death weeks where they give themselves no rest at all ... it doesn't have to be a real 6 day, just go out and do 6 days of hard interval work in a row. Then rest accordingly and see how your fitness is the following weeks.

My racing goals are simple, if it is under an hour and flat, I should be able to win. Doesn't mean I do win, but I expect to be in the mix and have the condition and speed to do so if tactics play out my way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Would like people's thoughts as to whether I am doing this right:

During the week I usually can't ride outside so I have a programmable stationary bike. 2 or 3 days per week (usually Tues, Weds, Thursday) I will do a 50-60 minute workout where I warm up for about 5 minutes, then do intervals of around 1:15-1:30, where I turn the bike up to a high resistance level, trying to raise my heart rate to about 80-90% of maximum, followed by a rest period of equal length where I pedal with less resistance but at a higher cadence. I end with a 5 minute cool down.

Weekends I try to ride each day, anywhere from 35-50 miles per day, unless I am doing a group event like a century. I don't "train" on these rides per se but of course there are the hills. Some rides can get up to more than 3,500 feet of climbing, but 2000-2500 is more typical.

Any suggestions on how to improve?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MPov View Post
    2 or 3 days per week (usually Tues, Weds, Thursday) I will do a 50-60 minute workout where I warm up for about 5 minutes, then do intervals of around 1:15-1:30... trying to raise my heart rate to about 80-90% of maximum?
    Here is my take. If you've been riding for a while now and are healthy enough to push hard (i.e. not 70 years old), the current load you're doing is quite low. The work out you described above about is basically a ~20 minute interval at 80-90% max HR where every minute you stop the timer and rest for a minute... not very good. You should either do a continuous 20 minutes at that heart rate (start at ~80% and by the end be 90% or higher), or make each 1:15-1:30 minute interval much much harder and essentially go all out (in which case you won't be doing very many of them). Either way, increase the intensity and mix things up with different durations. If you're not questioning your sanity during the workout, you're going too easy. It comes down to how much you want it.

You should also aim to ride harder on the weekends, as it sounds like you're taking 2-3 days off per week and frankly I doubt it's physically possible for you to overtrain with that time off. In other words, the days that you do ride, if you do anything other than very hard, lung busting efforts, you're just short changing yourself. It's a simple as that. Ride more (time consuming) and/or harder.

Also be careful basing your effort by max heart rate, as 1) it changes on a day to day basis and 2) at any given time it is still just an estimate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12