LeMond Power Pilot reviews - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
  1. #26
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,864
    Well, mine has the ANT+ symbol on it, but it never paired properly with my Edge 500 in any configuration. It would pass the ID number, but never pass speed data. It worked fine with the Power Pilot, so I don't think it was an alignment issue. I just tried it again with a new battery, with the same results.


    This was the response I got from LeMond when I asked about it just before I got my Power Pilot:
    The Lemond Revolution will work with two separate sensors. One will mount to your chain stay and pull a cadence reading off of your crank arm and the other will mount to the drive pulley and give you an RPM reading. The Revolution will have a computer accessory available in January called the power pilot and it will give you a power reading measured in watts as well as time, speed, distance, calories burned and heart rate. The Power pilot is ANT+ enabled, but at this time it will not communicate with your garmin computer. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with and have a great day.
    Thanks,
    Ben Grenet
    Lemond Fitness Tech Support
    I hadn't heard of any new developments on the speed sensor in a while. Something changed?

  2. #27
    EWT
    EWT is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    193
    It sound like ANT+ works about as well as Bluetooth. Some devices pair and others don't.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    Well, mine has the ANT+ symbol on it, but it never paired properly with my Edge 500 in any configuration. It would pass the ID number, but never pass speed data. It worked fine with the Power Pilot, so I don't think it was an alignment issue. I just tried it again with a new battery, with the same results.


    This was the response I got from LeMond when I asked about it just before I got my Power Pilot:

    I hadn't heard of any new developments on the speed sensor in a while. Something changed?
    I guess they did it purposely to prevent Garmin computer being able to read the sensor's output. Or else no one will buy that bulky Power Pilot display.

  4. #29
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by coupon View Post
    I guess they did it purposely to prevent Garmin computer being able to read the sensor's output. Or else no one will buy that bulky Power Pilot display.
    Yeah, that's what I was figuring. They probably set up the sensor to an assignment that was allocated to "other" to keep people from pairing it with a Garmin, thus requiring the purchase of the Power Pilot. I think that was a bad move on their part, as they could have sold a bunch of ANT+ speed sensors (one for each Revolution they sold) and avoided a bunch of disgruntled customers.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    29
    I got the Bontrager ant+ speed sensor instead of the Lemond. I taped it onto the trainer between the tabs where the Lemond unit screws in. It works flawlessly with my Edge 500 and is a few bucks cheaper than the Lemond sensor. Plus, I can use the sensor on my bike if I want to in the summer.

    For 'power' training, I just select target speeds and try to maintain that for a set duration.. E.g. 20 mph for 10 mins, 25 mph for 5 mins... Not sure what watts the mph equates to so for now I go by feel. Anybody got a speed vs power curve for this thing?

  6. #31
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,864
    Trainer Road should have the power curve for the Revolution. I've never bothered checking, since I use a Quarq for power and cadence.

    I'm using the Bontrager speed sensor too, but the Lemond mount is a little more clean for the application.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cyclesport45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    544
    Rides - TrainerRoad

    Nate; That was the most fun I had on a trainer, ever. EVAH!
    Just ride.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: glockaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I have one. It was a waste of money (for me). Clunky user interface, hard to download from, and really overpriced for what it is. I was severely disappointed, after how much I like the Revolution.

    I have a Garmin Edge 500. The addition of a speed sensor (a $25 Bontrager ANT+) on the rear non-drive chainstay, angled towards the magnet on the flywheel (little silver dot) gave me "speed". I have a Quarq for cadence and power, but a regular cadence sensor can be used if you want that metric. SInce the power reading is derived from speed, you can get the same effect by using a site like Trainer Road to do the calculations. You can get the sensor and a Garmin bundle and still have a couple hundred left over. AND you can use it on the road.

    Anyone want to buy a used Power Pilot?
    How about you pay me to take it off your hands? LOL

  9. #34
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by glockaxis View Post
    How about you pay me to take it off your hands? LOL
    Naw, I don't hate it that much. Worst case scenerio, I might pull apart the LeMond speed sensor and swap in the guts of a Bontrager sensor.

    I did notice on the Trainer Road site you can pair a Garmin speed/cadence sensor with the Power Pilot, which probably would have led me down all sorts of interesting paths if I would have known about it a year ago. Since I own a Quarq now, my interest has somewhat waned.

  10. #35
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,864
    Here's the response I just got from LeMond Fitness about the power pilot speed sensor.

    The power pilot speed sensors sends only an RPM signal, Your Garmin would have to calculate the speed from the RPM data the Power Pilot sensor provides. The Power Pilot does all these calculations in the display, so the sensors send only the RPM’s. Please let us know if you have any other questions and have a great day.

    Thanks,
    Ben Grenet
    LeMond Fitness Tech Support
    Shame. On the other hand, I will say that all of the responses I've gotten from LeMond have been extremely courteous and professional. I really like the Revolution (as much as you can like a stationary trainer), despite the Power Pilot being what I would characterize as a complete dud.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    242
    Alaska

    Thanks for your response. I read it quickly while running through the airport catching a connection and didn't have time to respond. I think after it's all said and done I'm just going to wait and buy a crank based power meter...Quarq most likely. Such a shame to have a contrast in products like LeMond does. Absolute winner with Revolution, epic face palm fail with Power Pilot. Sigh.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Hello Alaska,

    I bought LeMond Revolution and Power Pilot last month and have been using them almost everyday.
    I think Power Pilot has enough function as a cycle computer for in-door trainer.
    Power Pilot calculates power from not only RPM but also TORQUE, which might be sent from wind resistance unit, I guess.
    Certainly it is so costly, but I think Power Pilot is an only appliance which calculate accurate power.

    Saving training data is absolutely slow. It won't end while I have a bathe after 5 hours training. But the saved data is simple CSV format, so it can easily be converted to any format, or analyzed by myself.
    My only one disappointing issue about the Power Pilot is that training data is occasionally collapsed and cannot be saved to USB memory. So I'd like to purchase another Power Pilot unit for redundancy, if it is cheap...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I have one. It was a waste of money (for me). Clunky user interface, hard to download from, and really overpriced for what it is. I was severely disappointed, after how much I like the Revolution.

    I have a Garmin Edge 500. The addition of a speed sensor (a $25 Bontrager ANT+) on the rear non-drive chainstay, angled towards the magnet on the flywheel (little silver dot) gave me "speed". I have a Quarq for cadence and power, but a regular cadence sensor can be used if you want that metric. SInce the power reading is derived from speed, you can get the same effect by using a site like Trainer Road to do the calculations. You can get the sensor and a Garmin bundle and still have a couple hundred left over. AND you can use it on the road.

    Anyone want to buy a used Power Pilot?

  13. #38
    DEM
    DEM is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1

    Lemond Revolution Speed versus Power

    I have a Lemond Revolution trainer. I picked up speed and cadence by extending the wires on a garmin speed sensor and mounting it on the trainer. It works fine and I use it with my Garmin 705. I calibrated a power versus speed chart with a friend using his SRM.
    I am not sure it we are completely accurate on the power calibration and would like to compare our power readings to a someone else or to a Lemond Pilot system.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    357
    To down load quickly to your USB drive make sure that when you have done it you delete all data from the power pilot, it will then download quite quickly

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5

    Talking LeMond Revolution/Power Pilot - reborn?

    I bought my Rev/Power Pilot about a year ago and still use it. Yes, the Power Pilot unit is cludgy as all get-out, but it does work and produces good data. I upload the data from the memory stick to the Training Peaks Device Agent, and that converts it into a file that Training Peaks can use.

    Back in January my PP stopped uploading to the memory stick, and I thought I was stuck. However, it turned out the batteries in the PP head unit were getting low and didn't have enough power to transfer it to the stick. There was enough power to make the head unit work during the workout with all data showing - which was the confusing part. I was ready to toss the PP, but replaced the batteries with good ones and it's back to normal. Since the head unit worked, I never considered it could be that.

    Seems like LeMond Revolution has been reborn. wwwlemondrevolutioncom is the new home. They've got a new firmware upgrade listed on the site - has anyone tried it? I'm having a hard time saving it to .hex format, so I haven't tried it yet. I've gotten responses from their customer service group - so hopefully the best feeling trainer on the market (as trainers go, as stated earlier by someone) is still alive and kicking and we might get some better functionality by the new owners of the Rev/PP.

    Here's to hoping, anyway...


    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMover View Post
    Alaska

    Thanks for your response. I read it quickly while running through the airport catching a connection and didn't have time to respond. I think after it's all said and done I'm just going to wait and buy a crank based power meter...Quarq most likely. Such a shame to have a contrast in products like LeMond does. Absolute winner with Revolution, epic face palm fail with Power Pilot. Sigh.

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5
    It could be my imagination, but after the 6.3 firmware update, it DID seem to finish writing to the memory stick faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by InThePeloton View Post
    I bought my Rev/Power Pilot about a year ago and still use it. Yes, the Power Pilot unit is cludgy as all get-out, but it does work and produces good data. I upload the data from the memory stick to the Training Peaks Device Agent, and that converts it into a file that Training Peaks can use.

    Back in January my PP stopped uploading to the memory stick, and I thought I was stuck. However, it turned out the batteries in the PP head unit were getting low and didn't have enough power to transfer it to the stick. There was enough power to make the head unit work during the workout with all data showing - which was the confusing part. I was ready to toss the PP, but replaced the batteries with good ones and it's back to normal. Since the head unit worked, I never considered it could be that.

    Seems like LeMond Revolution has been reborn. wwwlemondrevolutioncom is the new home. They've got a new firmware upgrade listed on the site - has anyone tried it? I'm having a hard time saving it to .hex format, so I haven't tried it yet. I've gotten responses from their customer service group - so hopefully the best feeling trainer on the market (as trainers go, as stated earlier by someone) is still alive and kicking and we might get some better functionality by the new owners of the Rev/PP.

    Here's to hoping, anyway...

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    357
    If you wish to upload your data from the Power Pilot to Garmin Connect or Strava you can convert the CSV files to TCX using this online converter, the date is always incorrect for me on Garmin Connect, easy to edit.
    Convert To TCX application

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.