LeMond Power Pilot reviews
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

LeMond Power Pilot reviews

Anyone here have one they are pleased with? I love my Rev, but doggone it I am having a very hard time finding any reviews on any site with happy Power Pilot customers. Lost of issues, lost data, not ANT functional although it's supposed to be etc.

I spend a crazy amount of time on my Rev and would love to grab this, but since my LeMond dealer is clueless about the Power Pilot I'm relegated to web reviews.

Happy owners here?

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMover View Post
    Anyone here have one they are pleased with? I love my Rev, but doggone it I am having a very hard time finding any reviews on any site with happy Power Pilot customers. Lost of issues, lost data, not ANT functional although it's supposed to be etc.

I spend a crazy amount of time on my Rev and would love to grab this, but since my LeMond dealer is clueless about the Power Pilot I'm relegated to web reviews.

Happy owners here?
    No experience, but the reviews I've seen haven't been great. I personally use the Power Pilot speed sensor along with Trainer Road Homepage - TrainerRoad which gives you power and many workouts. Great product, and you can pay for a lot of months of access for the cost of the Power Pilot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EWT View Post
    No experience, but the reviews I've seen haven't been great. I personally use the Power Pilot speed sensor along with Trainer Road Homepage - TrainerRoad which gives you power and many workouts. Great product, and you can pay for a lot of months of access for the cost of the Power Pilot.
    Oooh wait could you please go into a bit more detail on this please? What does the speed sensor give you as opposed to the entire PP? Will I need to buy some type of head unit as well? This sounds like a nice idea on the surface and would love to know more. Thank you!

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It makes more sense once you see it, but the speed sensor on the trainer outputs to a USB stick on a computer. Trainer Road reads the speed, and coverts speed to power. You choose workouts that are scaled to your FTP, and your power targets are presented to you on screen in a bar graph format. Your power output also appears on screen and you attempt to keep your power output above the targets. The "take a tour" section of their website has some screen shots and more explanation. It really is a cool product. I normally hate riding a trainer, and TR makes it tolerable. The workouts are challenging and there are a bunch of them to choose from.

Pack Fodder.
    I have one. It was a waste of money (for me). Clunky user interface, hard to download from, and really overpriced for what it is. I was severely disappointed, after how much I like the Revolution.

I have a Garmin Edge 500. The addition of a speed sensor (a $25 Bontrager ANT+) on the rear non-drive chainstay, angled towards the magnet on the flywheel (little silver dot) gave me "speed". I have a Quarq for cadence and power, but a regular cadence sensor can be used if you want that metric. SInce the power reading is derived from speed, you can get the same effect by using a site like Trainer Road to do the calculations. You can get the sensor and a Garmin bundle and still have a couple hundred left over. AND you can use it on the road.

Anyone want to buy a used Power Pilot?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I have one. It was a waste of money (for me). Clunky user interface, hard to download from, and really overpriced for what it is. I was severely disappointed, after how much I like the Revolution.

I have a Garmin Edge 500. The addition of a speed sensor (a $25 Bontrager ANT+) on the rear non-drive chainstay, angled towards the magnet on the flywheel (little silver dot) gave me "speed". I have a Quarq for cadence and power, but a regular cadence sensor can be used if you want that metric. SInce the power reading is derived from speed, you can get the same effect by using a site like Trainer Road to do the calculations. You can get the sensor and a Garmin bundle and still have a couple hundred left over. AND you can use it on the road.

Anyone want to buy a used Power Pilot?
    I think the answer to that is NO!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Power Pilot Review

I too was having trouble finding power pilot reviews when I was looking to purchase. I ended up purchasing the unit, and have been less than completely satisfied. Note that I am coming from having used a ptap for 3 or 4 years, and was used to the workflow of the ptap. This allowed quickly downloading and analyzing rides afterwards.

Here are the things that I like:
    - On the bike, the display is good - you can see all of the metrics of interest at once because of the large display. Works fine for seeing "power", HR, etc.

Here are the things that I don't like:
    - Download time from PP to pc is bad. Takes me longer to download than ride (e.g. 60min ride takes more than 60min to transfer to USB stick). Transfer from usb stick to pc is on the order of seconds...
    - Battery life is bad (likely related to above). Getting somewhere between 5 and 10 hours of ride time (and corresponding download time) for a set of batteries. This drove me to get rechargables.

I contacted Lemond Fitness about these issues, and they indicated that a fw is in the works (due out in the fall) that will address these, but with indication of what sort of improvement to expect.

Also, I previously contacted Lemond Fitness about getting more information on the accuracy of the power estimations. They indicated that they would have an independent study available in a couple of weeks. That was a couple of months ago, and have heard nothing since.

Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Happy owners here?
    Here's a thread about how to setup a speed sensor with TrainerRoad. For the price of a Power Pilot you can get 3.6 years of TrainerRoad memberships .

There's an explanation in our support forum, but I can't post links to it yet .

Basically you just put an ANT+ Speed sensor next to the fly wheel, plug in a ANT+ USB Stick to your comp and do a workout. It's just like the power pilot calculations but we don't take into account air density. As long as you're not changing elevations you should be good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Nate

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePearson View Post

There's an explanation in our support forum, but I can't post links to it yet .

Basically you just put an ANT+ Speed sensor next to the fly wheel, plug in a ANT+ USB Stick to your comp and do a workout. It's just like the power pilot calculations but we don't take into account air density. As long as you're not changing elevations you should be good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Nate
    Here's the link: How do I set up my Lemond Revolution with TrainerRoad without a power pilot? : Trainer Road The picture in the thread is of my bike, but I'm now using the Power Pilot speed sensor to measure speed for Trainer Road rather than the Bontrager sensor shown in the picture. It costs more than a generic sensor (~$70), but it bolts right on at the perfect location, so it is worth the extra cost IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the link! Thanks for taking that pic too

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    No problem. Thanks for the great product and support. I haven't used it as much as I expected since the weather has been so nice in Northern CA this winter, but it makes being on a trainer tolerable and almost fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Putting together a shopping list to get on Trainerroad. I have a Lemond Revolution (Wife's bike has been parked on it all winter, I ride outside). I will get the Lemond speed sensor ($70), the Garmin ANT+ Stick ($35). What do I need to get cadence? Do I NEED cadence to make Trainerroad work? Thanks.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesport45 View Post
    Putting together a shopping list to get on Trainerroad. I have a Lemond Revolution (Wife's bike has been parked on it all winter, I ride outside). I will get the Lemond speed sensor ($70), the Garmin ANT+ Stick ($35). What do I need to get cadence? Do I NEED cadence to make Trainerroad work? Thanks.
    You don't need cadence to get it working. You could save some money though and use the wahoo speed/cadence sensor. It's long enough to get both as long as you don't have a really big bike or short cranks.

Check out this pic: https://i432.photobucket.com/albums/...emondphoto.jpg

So at a minimum you just need a speed sensor and a ANT+ stick. Looks like you got it all worked out!

-Nate

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesport45 View Post
    YES! Shopping list is a nice add here. I have since chatted with 2 other PP owners on other web forums and all the same issues surfaced. Net net was they wish they hadn't bought it. This is such a stark contrast to their love for the Rev.

Nate: Do you envision getting this for the iPhone? Reason being is that I cannot put a bike near my computer and I don't own a laptop. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    YES! Shopping list is a nice add here. I have since chatted with 2 other PP owners on other web forums and all the same issues surfaced. Net net was they wish they hadn't bought it. This is such a stark contrast to their love for the Rev.

Nate: Do you envision getting this for the iPhone? Reason being is that I cannot put a bike near my computer and I don't own a laptop. Thanks
    Yes, 100% iOS and Anroid. We just want to add a few more features to the desktop app and get that code stable before we move to mobile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePearson View Post
    Yes, 100% iOS and Anroid. We just want to add a few more features to the desktop app and get that code stable before we move to mobile.
    Nate

What exactly would I need for my shopping list utilizing an iPhone?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    One of these:
    Amazon.com: Wahoo Fitness ANT+*Wahoo Key*for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad: MP3 Players & Accessories

That's what allows the iPhone/iPad to pick up ANT+ data.

Pack Fodder.
    My LeMond speed sensor that came with the PowerPro wouldn't pair up with the Garmin. Have they come out with an ANT+ version? Mine was one of the first ones that came out, but I've heard nothing about an upgrade or alternate version that is ANT+ compatible. It would be nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    That's good to know. I thought they were all ANT+.

Did you try pairing it as a "Speed" sensor and not a "Speed/Cadence" sensor?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    My LeMond speed sensor that came with the PowerPro wouldn't pair up with the Garmin. Have they come out with an ANT+ version? Mine was one of the first ones that came out, but I've heard nothing about an upgrade or alternate version that is ANT+ compatible. It would be nice.
    I was just about to ask the same question. I haven't been able to get the reading from the power pilot speed sensor onto my garmin 500 or 705, therefore I am guessing it won't work on the USB ANT+ reciever as well. Can anyone show me the trick to work around it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coupon View Post
    I was just about to ask the same question. I haven't been able to get the reading from the power pilot speed sensor onto my garmin 500 or 705, therefore I am guessing it won't work on the USB ANT+ reciever as well. Can anyone show me the trick to work around it?
    This is kind of confusing but the power pilot is ANT+ enabled. They read in the standard speed and cadence devices.

The weird part is how it outputs the data. The lemond engineers tell me that it out puts in .FIT format. This is a new format pushed by garmin/ANT to be used with certain fitness devices and to transfer large files.

The lemond streams this data out for devices to read.

The problem is that I don't know of a single head unit that reads .FIT. They all read the standard power/heart/cadence/speed ANT+ pages.

In my opinion lemond dropped the ball on this. They should issue a firmware update to output these standard pages.

At trainerroad.com we can write code to read the .fit data via the ant USB stick. We just have higher priorities right now, and since you can use VirtualPower with us and it's pretty much the exact same thing without air density, plus you save $400+dollars, it's on the back burner.

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    My LeMond speed sensor works fine with an iPhone with an ANT+ dongle and trainer road with the Garmin USB stick. The sensor has an ANT+ logo on it. Do the older ones have that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Yah, the speed sensor works fine. We just can't read directly from the power pilot at the moment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got my shopping list completed, and just in time. After a winter of riding outside here in Central Massachusetts, we're getting 6 to 10 inches of snow today. Looks like I'll be signing up for Trainerroad tommorrow!
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    ah! Great to hear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast