LeMond Revolution Trainer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    The noise is manageable for me, and I may try reducing it somewhat over the coming weeks.
    If you try to reduce the noise you'll end up robbing the fan of air, thus lowering it's resistance. That noise is a direct product of how much air your moving.

Fans IMO are the best means for interval training, it's just that most trainers don't have the bigger fan of the Lemond trainer, people complain about the noise, but for me it's all about the workout, so enjoy your trainer.

Pack Fodder.
    On the exhaust side, I was considering running the air towards a baffled box lined with sound-deadening material. Ported right, I don't think it would affect air flow too much, but should cut the wind noise a bit. Just an idle thought at the moment, since the noise really doesn't bother me too much. I definitely don't want to affect the ride quality or the resistance, which are two of the big plusses here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I must have had mine delivered the same day as AlaskaMike. Been on it 3+ hours over the 3 days. I was initially shocked by the noise, but it bothered me less each time I've used it. I usually train early mornings when my wife is asleep. I have the trainer set up in the garage directly under our bedroom and she says she can't even hear it. The feel of the resistance is much closer to actual road riding than my previous fluid trainer. I was definitely hoping for the ant+ compatibility, but I can deal with the trade offs. To this point, it's the best trainer I've ever used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    It looks like a good design but....

why should I have to pay a 'Campag tax'..... an extra $68 for a Campag freehub, if I don't use Shimano??? You should be able to choose which transmission compatibility you want.

Pack Fodder.
    Here's what I got on the computer from LeMond:
    Hi Mike,
    The Lemond Revolution will work with two separate sensors. One will mount to your chain stay and pull a cadence reading off of your crank arm and the other will mount to the drive pulley and give you an RPM reading. The Revolution will have a computer accessory available in January called the power pilot and it will give you a power reading measured in watts as well as time, speed, distance, calories burned and heart rate. The Power pilot is ANT+ enabled, but at this time it will not communicate with your garmin computer. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with and have a great day.

Thanks,
    Ben Grenet
    Lemond Fitness Tech Support

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by corky
    It looks like a good design but....

why should I have to pay a 'Campag tax'..... an extra $68 for a Campag freehub, if I don't use Shimano??? You should be able to choose which transmission compatibility you want.
    That's an interesting perspective- a Campag owner complaining about paying a premium.

To be honest, I found it a bit interesting that they charged more, but at least for the US market Shimano/SRAM is a safe bet to buy in bulk at a sizeable discount, and to sell a Campag version for the same price would amount to them being subsidized. They just won't sell as many.

Note this is not a comment on Campag quality or suitablity, but rather a comment on what's most common on the US market. Since I doubt they will sell many in Europe because of shipping costs, you have to go with what sells in your main market.

Pack Fodder.
    Update:
    It's been about a month on the LeMond, and the other day I sold my KK Rock&Roll. Just wasn't using it anymore.

The wind noise still isn't bothering me, and I added a powered speaker to the TV so I could hear it. It's a tiny TV anyway, which was never that loud to begin with.

No weird noises, creaks, or groans yet, and I have around 40 hours on it so far.

I'm probably going to wait until tax returns to get the bike computer, so the reviews from the first customers can come in before I buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I had a chance to demo one in a shop here (NY City) yesterday, and I thought that it was very smooth and not really as noisy as I was expecting it to be.

Ride bicycles? Why?
    Apr 2010
    I like my lemond trainer. I switch between the computrainer at the shop and the Lemond at home. I love the fact that there is no skip. The noise isnt bothersome to others in the house either. Mine is set-up in the living room directly below where we sleep. My wife and the baby are not bothered by it one bit, in fact my wife doesnt even hear it. Also mine came w/ a 5700 12-25 cassette. I usually ride w/ a 5700 11-25 so its alright there for me. I will be ordering the Power Pilot when it is available. According to lemond the beta testers have made their final recommendations and they are gearing up to make those changes now. The unit is also going to be compatible with the WKO software for anyone who uses that. I find it very helpful in keeping a detailed training log / history.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Question. Whats the power curve like? In English, how will my 120 pound, 15 mile an hour GF fare on the Revolution? Thinking about getting one, but only if it works for both of us...
    Just ride.

Ride bicycles? Why?
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesport45
    Question. Whats the power curve like? In English, how will my 120 pound, 15 mile an hour GF fare on the Revolution? Thinking about getting one, but only if it works for both of us...
    Its easily the smoothest, nicest riding trainer I've ridden. I find Im in close to the identical gearing I would ride in outside. You make it as difficult as you want. Its very progressive, just like the road. I cant think of any reason why your GF wouldn't find the trainer enjoyable.

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by zach.scofield
    Its easily the smoothest, nicest riding trainer I've ridden. I find Im in close to the identical gearing I would ride in outside. You make it as difficult as you want. Its very progressive, just like the road. I cant think of any reason why your GF wouldn't find the trainer enjoyable.
    I agree. The flywheel contributes a significant amount to the overall feel of the trainer, and like Zach I'm pretty much at the same gearing as I am on the road for a given effort.

I have the LeMond computer on order now (ship at the end of February). Didn't want to spend the extra money, but hopefully it's a robust enough system that I can get some meaningful training data from to send to my coach. I really don't care if the "power meter" function is dead-on accurate, as long as it's a steady standard I can use to measure performance. I could be measuring power in Belgian Waffles, and I wouldn't care as long as it was consistant.

Ride bicycles? Why?
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    I agree. The flywheel contributes a significant amount to the overall feel of the trainer, and like Zach I'm pretty much at the same gearing as I am on the road for a given effort.

I have the LeMond computer on order now (ship at the end of February). Didn't want to spend the extra money, but hopefully it's a robust enough system that I can get some meaningful training data from to send to my coach. I really don't care if the "power meter" function is dead-on accurate, as long as it's a steady standard I can use to measure performance. I could be measuring power in Belgian Waffles, and I wouldn't care as long as it was consistant.

Same. Put my request in for the power pilot this past week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I also have and I really like it... I have try many others but this one is the one that feel the best, It feels just like if you are riding in the road..... the downside it is NOISY and I have to adjust the gears everytime I use it. but I don't mind doing i t..... .... with my mp3 n it, i can barely hear it..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought one, off of Ebay (twohubs00). The pricing there is $50 to $75 less than the Lemond website. Put it together, and jumped on for 5 minutes.

1. It feels more "real" than any other trainer I've tried. And I've been on many because I hate trainers, keep looking for one that's bearable.

2. It feels like riding! Really! Aside from the unchanging living room scenery....

3. It only gets loud when hammering very fast. Cruising is not bad.

Speaking of fast; short of buying the zillion dollar computer, how would one tell how fast and how far I'm going, here in my living room??
    Just ride.

Pack Fodder.
    Yeah, I was wondering when they were going to show up on eBay. I got mine for $50 off, with free shipping from LeMond, so I can't complain- especially since my shipping was going to be a good-sized chunk.

I tried to figure out an elegant way to attach a sensor for my Garmin to the flywheel, but in the end just decided to bite the bullet and buy the LeMond computer. It wouldn't be impossible to pull off and keep the cadence and speed sensor, but in the end I just figured it wasn't worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I recently purchased the revolution. I would like to give one piece of advise to those who use the Revolution with Campy components, don't over tighten the nut holding the hub. If you do, you will not get the full benefit of having this trainer. Since figuring this out, I have enjoyed using this trainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    wr7r

How's the chainline? Do you have to do any trimming when going from your rear wheel to the cog on the trainer? Any other Campy owners let me know please.
    Eric
    http://www.heartattackrider.com
    https://twitter.com/heartattackride
    2 heart attacks,7 stents & 7 angiograms and still turning the cranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    The chainline is good. I don't have to do any trimming when I move from the rear wheel to the trainer. I was afraid this was not going to be the case, where I would have to do some adjustin, but I have not had to.

When I purchased my trainer, I was informed that Lemond was going to send me a different spacer for the trainer due to some difference with the Campy adaptor. This all goes back to the nut holding the hub to the trainer. If you over tighten the nut, and you stop pedaling, the chain will keep moving forward becasue the hub will not stop spinning; however, if you tighten the nut just a little, the hub will stop and so will the chain. This is an easy problem to fix, but it was a pain to figure out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't have to do any trimming when I move from the rear wheel to the trainer.
    Good to hear. It was the only thing holding me back from seriously considering the LeMond.
    Thanks for you response.
    Eric
    http://www.heartattackrider.com
    https://twitter.com/heartattackride
    2 heart attacks,7 stents & 7 angiograms and still turning the cranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    I've been using a LeMond Revolution trainer for about 2 months (I talked my wife into letting me get one as a Christmas gift) and finely decide to post some thoughts. Here in Minnesota (at least for me) outdoor training during the winter months is not an option. For the last 15 years or so I have used various makes and models of indoor trainers, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. My experience with the Revolution has been overwhelmingly positive with the only drawback being the noise factor which I don't find as big an issue as others have made it out to be. Before I purchased this trainer, I did spend a lot of time shopping at the various bike shops in the area and had the opportunity to bring home and demo 5 of the currently manufactured (high end) models on the market. The Revolution so far has turned out to be the right choice for me, and if I had to repeat the process, I would have arrived at the same choice.

Pack Fodder.
    As far as the noise went, I just added a couple studio monitors to my DVD player's audio outputs and all was good. My little 12" TV wasn't really all that loud to start off with. The only time it gets even remotely loud is when I'm doing V02 max intervals, and in moments like those I really could care less.

I'm hoping my Power Pilot shows up soon, as I'd like to put it to use before my trainer season ends. Last year I was on the road before the end of March, and I'm likely going to push that a bit more this year. I expect to be fully on the road by mid-April, at which point the LeMond will be used exclusively for race warmups until next winter.

As much as I like this trainer, I am really looking forward to not using it regularly for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I have a Lemond trainer on order here in Australia which is supposed to arrive in about 2 weeks time having test ridden my new Look 566 on one in my LBS, I was really impressed with the realistic feel compared to my mag trainer which I basically hate.

Now, like many I have a Garmin Edge 500 on my bike with the combined Speed/Cadence sensor on the left hand side chainstay but obviously without the mack wheel and magnet speed is going to stop working.

From what I have read, there is a magnet already installed in the belt pulley by Lemond but has anyone used this with another ant+ sensor to get speed data to the Garmin? While the Garmin ignore the now non functioning speed part of the GSC10?

Thoughts anyone? The Lemond computer is just not an option at this time due to high cost.

Pack Fodder.
    After dropping the cash for the LeMond computer, to be honest I wish I hadn't.
    The computer itself isn't all that refined for training purposes, and provides little in the way of data I couldn't get through my Garmin. I could download the data into Training Peaks, but the conversion isn't all that great either and doesn't really work well for me. It adds another sensor on the chainstay of my training bike, but otherwise it isn't all that much of an issue day to day.

With a little research and work, I probably could have found another ANT+ magnet and fabricated a mount next to the flywheel. May still do that.

I still like the trainer itself, even though my use of it lately has been limited to race warmups. I just wish they had've gone with ANT+ compatibility in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for your experience Alaska Mike, it's really hard to understand why they didn't make it work like a normal ant+ device, at least as far as wheel speed goes so that it could feed devices people already own like Garmins, Polars etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast