LeMond Revolution Trainer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pack Fodder.

LeMond Revolution Trainer

OK, I just sat down and took a look at the website for the LeMond Revolution Trainer, and I'm kinda interested. I already have a set of rollers and a good fluid trainer, but they've never been exactly what I'm looking for in terms of road feel. The power meter option is interesting as well. The release date is October 2010, but has anyone had any first-hand experience with them?

Pack Fodder.
    Just got the e-mail with a coupon code (VIP deal) for $50 off, so I pre-ordered mine. We'll see how it goes...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I played with one at Interbike. The base is pretty solid and the belt-drive to the fan unit is quite smooth. The fan is a bit noisy and may get noisier with age, but it isn't all that bad and is smoother than most trainers. Weight is pretty reasonable for portability.

The power head that clips to the bars looks really cheesy. I don't know how well sealed it is against perspiration, but it has a big flat surface with several buttons that looks like it begs for salt contamination. The director of engineering said they were finishing software to make the power sensor compatible with more heads such as Powertap, Garmin, and SRM. Those should be available soon, so there's really no need to pay the $350 for the proprietary head. Check on this when you order it.

The cassette freehub can be swapped between Campy and Shimano/SRAM. It may not align precisely with your road wheels, so some rear derailleur adjustment may be necessary. That's a pain. Get your own cassette because they provide a pretty wide range one that isn't as appropriate for trainer use.

It's a really nice trainer, my new favorite.

Pack Fodder.
    I figured the fan would be a bit noisy, given the size of the blades. I didn't order the computer, because I figured there would be bugs early on in development. I also passed on the cassette, because they didn't list a model or tooth count. I have a 11-23 that is just sitting around, so I'll start there.

Hopefully the ANT+ compatibility comes soon, because it would be nice to track progress on my Edge 500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been doing my research on Trainers now for a little less then a Month, and I have had it narrowed down to 2. The Kinetic Rock and Roll and the Cyclops2. Now I have another one, and from the looks of things, this new Lemond is going to win out over the others. Great Thread Mike!
    Do these shorts make my ass look fat?

Pack Fodder.
    I have the Rock&Roll, and it's a heavy beast to lug around to races for warm-ups. Also, mine has a slight list to one side that I haven't been able to get rid of. Otherwise, it works pretty well- as well as any other good fluid trainer.

That said, if the LeMond pans out, I'll probably sell my Rock&Roll. The weight and size of the thing is a bit much for my needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So I've been following the Lemond Revolution for a while now... and I'm strongly considering picking one up for some winter training, but I've got a newb question.

Has anyone gone through the purchase far enough to know if you get to select your cassette gearing if you select that you want it to ship with a Shimano cassette?

My concern is the compatibility (mostly chain length) of my current setup as I'm looking for a "hot swappable" option for days when I think it's warm enough to get outside to ride.

I'm currently running an 11-25 on the rear of my bike if it makes a difference.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill if the gearing isn't 100% the same? Never really dealt with different cassettes, etc. before it just seems like I should be worried that the chain length won't be 100% compatible.

Thoughts?

Shut Up And Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by FeydR
    So I've been following the Lemond Revolution for a while now... and I'm strongly considering picking one up for some winter training, but I've got a newb question.

Has anyone gone through the purchase far enough to know if you get to select your cassette gearing if you select that you want it to ship with a Shimano cassette?

My concern is the compatibility (mostly chain length) of my current setup as I'm looking for a "hot swappable" option for days when I think it's warm enough to get outside to ride.

I'm currently running an 11-25 on the rear of my bike if it makes a difference.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill if the gearing isn't 100% the same? Never really dealt with different cassettes, etc. before it just seems like I should be worried that the chain length won't be 100% compatible.

Thoughts?
    Buy it without the cassette and pick up your preferred gearing at your LBS and install it on the freehub of the trainer and ride it. Done.

If the rear derailleur needs to be adjust toward the trainer (centerline of the bike), put a .5mm shim or even a 1mm shim behind the cogset to make it work with your current derailleur settings. I've done this on all my wheels so that I don't have to readjust my derailleur every time I swap wheels.

This is a very minor issue and I've read many places about this trainer that it's a negative selling point. It can be a very simple fix.

Pack Fodder.
    Agreed. That was one of the reasons I bought mine without the cassette. Since it's a standard freehub body, you can install whatever cassette you want and go from there. Going up or down a couple teeth shouldn't really affect your derailleur setup that much.

I'm not exactly sure where the big negative is here, in terms of having to adjust the rear derailleur. A couple clicks on the adjuster and you should be good, if any adjustment is required at all. For me, that's much better than swapping out a rear wheel so I'm not burning up good tires on a trainer. Either way the effect can be the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    Agreed. That was one of the reasons I bought mine without the cassette. Since it's a standard freehub body, you can install whatever cassette you want and go from there. Going up or down a couple teeth shouldn't really affect your derailleur setup that much.

I'm not exactly sure where the big negative is here, in terms of having to adjust the rear derailleur. A couple clicks on the adjuster and you should be good, if any adjustment is required at all. For me, that's much better than swapping out a rear wheel so I'm not burning up good tires on a trainer. Either way the effect can be the same.

So they didn't ask you what your preferred tooth pattern was when you ordered? That was my real question.

My original plan was to pick one up and have it installed anyway, but since they have the option I thought it might just make things a bit easier to just order it with one installed...

The computer attachment is a bit pricy eh?

Pack Fodder.
    That was just it- they didn't list the cassette specs or give you any options. It was cassette or no cassette. SInce I already have a variety of cassettes, I don't really need one more. I can pick one that works the best for me.

I'm going to start out with my 11-23, since it has small jumps between cogs all the way through. I may go to a 12-25 if that doesn't work, or any of the other various cassettes.

As for the computer, I'm waiting on that. If they can sort out the ANT+ capability, that's the route I'm going to go with my Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I believe it ships with a cheaper SRAM 11-25 cassette. A Rival or Force at best. Better to get an Ultegra and, as pointed out above, to adjust it to fit the same as your road wheels. The issue with readjusting the rear derailleur isn't that it's minor, it's that you will forget to change or forget whether you changed and then overcorrect, and then you have a hassle as you're about to roll out on a big team ride.

Pack Fodder.
    My point is that if you do any significant time on a trainer, you likely will have another wheel with a trainer tire on it, meaning there is a similar chance you will need to adjust the RD.

That said, I will likely shim the trainer to match my race wheels, so warmup to race does not require any adjustment.

Not a big deal for me. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I use the Kreitler 3" drums with the "Killer Headwind" unit and I would think it would match this thing as far as intervals are concern. I've never been able to bottom out on the Kreitler as long as the headwind is attached.

And then carrying a set of rollers for warmups without the headwind is far easier and lighter than most stationary trainers.

Personally I detest being fixed in place with a stationary trainer.

And the Kreitler is made in the USA, something those of us that live in this country should be buying a whole lot more of.

Pack Fodder.
    I have rollers (Cyclops, in my case), but I prefer a stationary trainer for zoning out during winter training and for race warmups. My Kurt Rock&Roll adds a bit of movement to the standard stationary trainer, but it still feels like riding through mud. I've tried fork mounts on my rollers, but it's not the same. Different tools for different jobs.

To be honest, I have no idea where the Revolution is made. The company is based in the US, so at least majority of the profits will be staying in the states.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    To be honest, I have no idea where the Revolution is made. The company is based in the US, so at least majority of the profits will be staying in the states.
    The profits always stay in the hands of those at the top. That's the problem, we've outsourced all the jobs for the average folk.

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by heathb
    The profits always stay in the hands of those at the top. That's the problem, we've outsourced all the jobs for the average folk.
    Stupid Greg LeMond!!! Always trying to keep the little guy down.

Pack Fodder.
    I just got my Revolution in the mail today. They had a bit of a delay in shipping it (a month), so they took care of the shipping charges. That wasn't an unsignificant amount, so it was appreciated. I immediately unpacked it, and was impressed with the packaging job- especially compared to other trainers on the market. Assembly was a matter of attaching 3 bolts, a cassette (I ordered mine without one), and a skewer. That's it. Overall quality was like gym-quality or high-end home exercise equipment (think LifeFitness or Precor).

I haven't done a workout on it yet, but I did spin it for about 5 minutes in street shoes. Definitely more like the road than a normal trainer, but also definitely louder. No the usual trainer noise, but more like a high-powered fan. To me, it's more like white noise than actual racket that would be offensive. It will likely mean that I will have to turn up the TV a bit to hear it.

I can push a similar gear to what I ride on the road with similar effort, so that's nice.

The lack of an ANT+ speed sensor is kind of a downer, but I'll try to work that out. I might have to break down and get the LeMond computer, which would give me "power" as well. I'll talk tot he guys at LeMond sometime this week and see what I can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the information! Keep us updated with your experience. This unit has a lot of potential in my opinion.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 Cross
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, 350 to even see how fast you're going IS pricey. . .
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I watched an LBS employee ride one of these. It sounded like a jet taking off. Other than the sound, it looks like a great device.

Pack Fodder.
    It isn't quiet, for sure- especially during sprint intervals. I think the smoothness makes up for it, though. The progressive resistance is interesting, as when you start at a low intensity it doesn't seem like much of a workout. As you ramp it up, the resistance increases, but in a way that doesn't seem unnatural.

So far I'm digging it. May come up with a silencer box to quiet it down a bit or at least redirect the sound. It would be nice to be able to use the fan to cool you (instead of another fan), so the amount of cooling was relative to the effort you were putting out, but that would also direct the sound at you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Actually Alaska Mike I posted two months ago just what you were wanting.

Kreitler rollers 3" aluminum end capped with Krietler Killer headwind.

The noise isn't very loud and the resistance will run you into the ground.

The fan has vents to direct the air in your direction.

Would have cost about $550 total if you would have bought the rollers from ebay and the headwind unit with free shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Of course, if you just get the 2.25" rollers, you don't really need the resistance unit.

Pack Fodder.
    I have a set of Cyclops 3.25" aluminum rollers, and also have the fork stand for whn I was feeling lazy. While the movement made it interesting, the most I can do on them is about 30 minutes- not enough to get in a good workout. It's not the intensity of the workout that gets me, but the concentration required to stay up for an extended time-especially duting intervals.

I tried to get some Kreitler rollers off of eBay, but the shipping was waaaaaaayyyyy too much.

I find the road feel of the LeMond to be much more realistic than my fluid trainer or rollers. YMMV. The noise is manageable for me, and I may try reducing it somewhat over the coming weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast