Riding into strong headwinds 20 mph - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rest when you're dead
    I always look at this way, the extra work will make me stronger on the next century when I can get into a pack and don't have as much wind to deal with.........that said I would rather climb 12-19% grades than ride into 30mph winds.
    Sworker.......

banned
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by new2rd View Post
    What is your advice/stategy for solo riding into strong headwinds?

Yesterday I went on a 3 hr ride that started with 25 min of crosswind (good for warming up) and then I turned into a sustained 20 mph headwind, what made matters worse was there was no hiding or breaks for 90 min and there were a lot of false flats of course going uphill.
    So far I've heard that you have to push it going against the wind since there's not enough time to make up the difference going back with the wind. This would work for me for shorter periods, but for a long uphill fight against this beast, I didn't want to "bonk" or cramp up knowing that I had a long way to go. Besides staying low most of the time, is there any advice out there for keeping the pace up? My legs were pissed off at me the entire time and although it was downwind and downhill coming back in, I was spent.
    So, do you just accept that your average is going to suck? I rode this in these crazy conditions because it's the course for my first race. I know one thing for sure, I won't be trying this solo during the race. I'll be looking for a bunch of fast 6'5" riders to block the wind. lol
    Knowing your limits is very important.

Don't struggle into headwinds. Similiar to golf, don't try to hit the ball harder. Swing easier and more smoothly. Pedal easier and more smoothly.

Like rip currents, don't panic and struggle. You'll tire very quickly.

Pace yourself and don't "pedal squares."

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I embrace rule #5. I love the windy days which are frequent in my area. I hear the moans from the pack and I put the hammer down. I'm the tt guy with sustained power. It is my day to get back at the sprinters and climbers that use me and spit me out on the other rides.

Rest when you're dead
    I agree, you just have to go with the flow. I try to keep heartrate under 150 so I am not killing myself.
    Sworker.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I don't know if this flies in the face of conventional wisdom but when I'm riding solo into a strong headwind, I'll alternate between the drops and the hoods. Being in the drops for sustained periods is uncomfortable at first but you get used to it.

I'm 6'1" and I have to tell you, if I go to the tops it feels like someone hung a parachute behind me.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I ride the drops as much as possible and if wind/safety allows rest rists on top of bars if riding out front...as aero as possible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by new2rd View Post
    What is your advice/stategy for solo riding into strong headwinds?

Yesterday I went on a 3 hr ride that started with 25 min of crosswind (good for warming up) and then I turned into a sustained 20 mph headwind, what made matters worse was there was no hiding or breaks for 90 min and there were a lot of false flats of course going uphill.
    So far I've heard that you have to push it going against the wind since there's not enough time to make up the difference going back with the wind. This would work for me for shorter periods, but for a long uphill fight against this beast, I didn't want to "bonk" or cramp up knowing that I had a long way to go. Besides staying low most of the time, is there any advice out there for keeping the pace up? My legs were pissed off at me the entire time and although it was downwind and downhill coming back in, I was spent.
    So, do you just accept that your average is going to suck? I rode this in these crazy conditions because it's the course for my first race. I know one thing for sure, I won't be trying this solo during the race. I'll be looking for a bunch of fast 6'5" riders to block the wind. lol
    you couldn't be more right about riding into the wind

if i remember correctly you commented about BikeTown in abilene, if so where do you go riding? i usually ride on the base each afternoon for an hour or so, but am looking to get a little more serious

i've also been on one group ride with biketown before the end of the season last year, but i'll be riding the next monday(23rd) evening(slow/newer guys) group ride at 1800, i think the advanced guys ride on thursday evening, just thought i'd let you know in case you didn't know and would like to go

I play for keeps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworker View Post
    I was going into a 30MPH wind today and get passed by a guy on a bike that was 2" off the ground. This wasn't your standard recumbent, I was going 17MPH and near 150 Heart rate and he passed me like i was in reverse...2" off the ground. Locust you live near the beach? I live right off the coast and the wind never stops.
    Austin Texas...spring and fall are particularly windy

Rest when you're dead
    The drops for sure are critical. I was riding into a 30mph headwind just yesterday and was able to stay in the drops for most of the 10 miles into the wind....until I had a rear pinch flat and had the wrong spare with me (not long enough valve)....I hated calling for the SAG wagon except I got out of another 15 in the wind.

I think SMALL when I ride into the wind, get as compact as possible.
    Sworker.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12