Saddle height
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saddle height

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Saddle height

Super confused. You may remember my post of my wacky saddle in "Is my saddle telling me something", here.

Ive looked around and found that many recommend a 0.883 * inseam measure from the pedal to the top of the saddle.

Mine is 14 cm above that.

My inseam is 34 inches and the top of my saddle is about 35 inches from the pedal when the crank is aligned with the seat tube.

I did a fit calculator and the results are (in cm):

Measurements
    -------------------------------------------
    Inseam: 66.5
    Trunk: 66.25
    Forearm: 36
    Arm: 66
    Thigh: 60.75
    Lower Leg: 53.5
    Sternal Notch: 144.5
    Total Body Height: 175.25

The Competitive Fit (cm)
    Seat tube range c-c: 43.0 - 43.5
    Seat tube range c-t: 44.4 - 44.9
    Top tube length: 55.4 - 55.8
    Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
    BB-Saddle Position: 56.5 - 58.5
    Saddle-Handlebar: 52.5 - 53.1
    Saddle Setback: 0.6 - 1.0

It is saying that my saddle is about 14cm too high.

How can it be THAT far off? I can see a cm too high, but 14? Ive riden a few centuries this summer, dozens of 70-80 mile rides. I ride with fast riders (local, national and some former Olympic riders) and while they're faster than I am, I can ride with them when they go out for a real ride.

How can my saddle be a mile too high and I still ride okay? My body hurts, but 14cm?

Am I missing something? The middle of my bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 72cm right now. I think that the above is telling me to lower it to around 58cm? Seriously? Am I reading this wrong?

RoadBikeReview Member
    My inseam is 34.5 and my saddle is 31" from the BB to the top of saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    How are you measuring your inseam? Pants inseam is not the same as cycling inseam.

COMER
    Jan 2009
    my inseam is 34" and my height is 78.5 or over 30 and 1/2 inches. but that's measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Bare feet, up against wall, level in the crotch at similar upward pressure as saddle. My pant inseam is a 31.5 or so, riding 34.

I resorted to the tried and true heel on the pedals, pedal backwards without lock or rocking. That lowered the saddle 4cm. Im about to head out on a ride - will report back. Feels strange!

Thx for the guidance so far!

RoadBikeReview Member
    there's two instances in your original post where you mistake the way the measure should be done - it's not from the top of the saddle to the pedal - it's to the middle of the BB. You'd be adding at least 14 cm the way you're measuring it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    If you lowered your saddle 4cm, based on the heel on the pedal technique, I'd guess you really did have your saddle too high. Probably not 14cm, but sounds high to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby
    If you lowered your saddle 4cm, based on the heel on the pedal technique, I'd guess you really did have your saddle too high. Probably not 14cm, but sounds high to me.
    It also depends on the saddle set back. Depending on the fore-aft position it can affect the saddle height by as much as 2 cm or more...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by biobanker
    Super confused. You may remember my post of my wacky saddle in "Is my saddle telling me something", here.

Ive looked around and found that many recommend a 0.883 * inseam measure from the pedal to the top of the saddle.

My inseam is 34 inches and the top of my saddle is about 35 inches from the pedal when the crank is aligned with the seat tube.

Measurements

The Competitive Fit (cm)

How can it be THAT far off? I can see a cm too high, but 14? Ive riden a few centuries this summer, dozens of 70-80 mile rides. I ride with fast riders (local, national and some former Olympic riders) and while they're faster than I am, I can ride with them when they go out for a real ride.

How can my saddle be a mile too high and I still ride okay? My body hurts, but 14cm?

Am I missing something? The middle of my bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 72cm right now. I think that the above is telling me to lower it to around 58cm? Seriously? Am I reading this wrong?
    The formula used measures form top of saddle to center of BB. The total height is affected by crank arm length, Saddle fore- aft position, saddle tilt, type of riding and comfort. The type of saddle you have also affects how you measure. My saddle has the rear (widest part) about 1 cm higher than the front so if I measure to the center, I'm off by 0.5 cm; I have to put a level and measure to the bottom edge of the level. IMHO the formula is just a starting point... experts suggest the 30 degree knee angle bend at bottom of pedal stroke, one the fore-aft position is set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    If your inseam is 34in = 86.36cm, then .883 x 86.36 = 76.25 cm from center of BB to TOS.

The fit calculator inseam of 66.5cm is equal to 26.18in! .883 x 66.5cm = 58.72cm

Comparing your setup of 72cm to 58.72 yields a difference of 14cm!
    Comparing your setup of 72cm to 76.25 yields a difference of 4.25cm.

The formula .883 x inseam and heel on the pedal technique are not absolutes but are good starting points.

I think lowering your saddle to 68cm might be too low for you.

I believe it is best to change the height + or - 1mm at a time.

Take care,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling6500
    If your inseam is 34in = 86.36cm, then .883 x 86.36 = 76.25 cm from center of BB to TOS.

The fit calculator inseam of 66.5cm is equal to 26.18in! .883 x 66.5cm = 58.72cm

Comparing your setup of 72cm to 58.72 yields a difference of 14cm!
    Comparing your setup of 72cm to 76.25 yields a difference of 4.25cm.

The formula .883 x inseam and heel on the pedal technique are not absolutes but are good starting points.

I think lowering your saddle to 68cm might be too low for you.

I believe it is best to change the height + or - 1mm at a time.

Take care,
    DING DING DING!

You found why the fit calculator was way off. TYPO.

But 76cm is 4cm higher than what it was!

Ride update: at 68cm (69 to highest point of saddle) the bike felt strange. I dont think I was down on power on my 70mile ride, but my center of gravity was wobbling back and forth it seemed. It felt weird, but comfortable. My friend commented that he thought it was too low as from the rear my knees would point out a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Correcting for the typo, the fit calculator sends me back to 74.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think your friend is right. You should be 30.75 and 31".

RoadBikeRider
    that .883 formula is from bb to top of saddle, not from pedal to top of saddle...that is the whole problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Now that we Got Saddle Height......

.....what is typical amount of drop and is it measured from highest point of saddle? This thread has got me thinking more about this. I know everyone's specific drop will be different as saddle height will also be, but what is a good/typical range? I have been playing with different ranges and was just interested where others are at.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In Lance Armstrong's book it says.
    If you cant touch the floor with your fingers, set the handlebar at the same height as the saddle.
    If you can touch the floor with the top halves of your fingers, set the handlebar 5 to 10 cm lower than the saddle.
    If you can set your palms flat on the floor, set the handlebar 10 to 15 cm below the saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    And is the saddle height measured as a straight line to the highest point on the saddle, or do you follow the seat tube to a level that is the same as the highest point?

RoadBikeReview Member
    And is the saddle height measured as a straight line to the highest point on the saddle, or do you follow the seat tube to a level that is the same as the highest point?

You'll be sitting on the lowest part of the saddle, so you should measure it there. It should be pretty much in line with the seat tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    man, the front of my knees are starting to hurt.

Saddle going up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Read post 13.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    yep! You, and other insightful riders, were right!

The wacky saddle that people said resulted from a saddle that was too high threw me off.

Thanks!

The streets of San Fran
    The standover height of my SS is 32". When I straddle the bike, the bar is right under my crotch. I can stand over the bike flat-footed safely and comfortably but it is an exact fit with no room to spare. The distance from the center of my crank (the bicycle crank) to the top of my saddle is exactly 30". I used this measurement for all of my bikes and it has worked well. Interestingly, it works out to .883 using this metric formula. I was unaware of this formula until I read this thread. Good stuff.
    Cycling afficianado:
    Lemond Zurich 853 for the long haul rides
    Torelli Tipo Uno for the posin' rides
    Cannondale F600 tricked out for fast street duty
    Specialized Enduro for off roadin'
    Dawes SST for commuting to the athletic club
    Puch lugged steel MTB for fetching the beer!

Riding the back streets of San Fran...

RoadBikeRider
    I don't think your math is correct but it really does not matter if you have already found a good saddle height. 32" (your inseam) multiplied by .883 comes to just over 28.25". A 30inch saddle height for someone with a 32" inseam seems very high to me. My inseam is 33 5/8" and my saddle height is only 29 5/8" which is very close to the .883 factor.

The streets of San Fran
    ooops, you are right. Duh... At any rate, I found 30 inches to work across my bike stable. Dunno if it's right or not according to the recommendations but none of them actually work for me. It took me a bit to get things dialed in. Thanks for the math catch.
    Cycling afficianado:
    Lemond Zurich 853 for the long haul rides
    Torelli Tipo Uno for the posin' rides
    Cannondale F600 tricked out for fast street duty
    Specialized Enduro for off roadin'
    Dawes SST for commuting to the athletic club
    Puch lugged steel MTB for fetching the beer!

Riding the back streets of San Fran...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Measurements

The Competitive Fit (cm)

0,883 is from center of bottom bracket to saddle but if you count from the pedal you have to add the lenght of the crank arm...

If I remember well, 1,04 * Inseam is what you are looking for (endurance) or 1,06 for short and fast races.

Don't forget this numbers are references and you always have to avoid rocking your hips (too high saddle), asuming you have the correct crank arm lenght.

So, you are not far from your optimum.
    Two wheels forever!

MTB: K2 5000
    Road: Giant TCR C2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast