Sprinting - Which gears? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    A 20 second sprint for a reasonably strong rider is around 300 metres. That's a long distance to pump out peak power. For all you knew, the TT'er was drafting until a few seconds before he passed you.

One tip about sprinting - draft behind a good lead out, and when you are ready to overtake him drop back about 5 metres and accelerate towards his wheel, then move out to overtake. It's harder to accelerate if you move out from being right on his wheel. That clean air hits you like a brick wall.

Recently Felt in love
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Agree, and this means that he should actually be in a 53 x 19 when starting his sprint at 19 mph. For his information, 53 x 14 at 90 rpm = 26 mph.
    How do you figure these mph figures out? The 53 x 14 @ 90 = 26 part. Is there a formula for that?
    Felt Z85

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscookz View Post
    How do you figure these mph figures out? The 53 x 14 @ 90 = 26 part. Is there a formula for that?
    There is a formula, but it's easier to use an online gear-cadence-speed calculator.
    http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I love what I'm hearing! Thank you all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I do have one more question.

Does anyone know which gear ratio Mark Cavendish is at when he is sprinting towards the finish line?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    I do have one more question.

Does anyone know which gear ratio Mark Cavendish is at when he is sprinting towards the finish line?
    You are focusing on the wrong thing. Each and every sprint is different, which means the gear used is bound to vary. You need to be in whatever gear puts you at the right cadence for the situation you are currently in. Uphill will the different than flat ground in a peloton, etc. Learn where you need to be by feel, not by looking at your drivetrain.

glider
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    You are focusing on the wrong thing. Each and every sprint is different, which means the gear used is bound to vary. You need to be in whatever gear puts you at the right cadence for the situation you are currently in. Uphill will the different than flat ground in a peloton, etc. Learn where you need to be by feel, not by looking at your drivetrain.
    +1 - great advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    +2. I simply don't get some of these threads. Riding by calculating speed by gear ratio and cadence? Really?

Got in a two up sprint and lost position and had to lead into the last corner. Went straight to the gutter soft pedaled and waited for the guy to come around. When I heard him start I ramped it up to match his speed and basically made sure I half wheeled him to the line. Once side by side I just up shifted when I needed to match his speed until the last 100m or so when it was all out. Once maxed out I just tried to hold current cadence to the line and hoped I was the better rider that day.

None of that was calculated other than trying to stay ahead of the other guy. Once I felt like I needed to shift I shifted. If you don't know when to shift well then that's the issue. No two sprints are the same ime...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12