Is there a city in America that attracts pro and or aspiring Cyclists? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Rolling eyes huh? Pretty rude..

Simple fact smart guy... Where there is more sun, there is typically more physical activity. Simple math...simple odds. People do win the lottery too. Andy is a stud and didn't let crappy weather keep him from his dreams, like many do I am sure. YOUR STATE of N. Dakota ranks at number 46 out of 50 for cycling friendly states. Ouch. You are new to cycling, so I should cut you some slack I guess...

In reference to the OP, which I think threads are supposed to be about, N. Dakota would be a horrible recommendation for many reasons. Poor weather, drivers not used to seeing cyclists, lack of clubs/teams, exposure, events, races etc etc You would not actually recommend an aspiring cyclist to move to N. Dakota now would you??

How many potentially great cyclists are out there that never got into the sport simply because the weather/environment was not conducive to fun outdoor training rides year round? I am sure there ARE SOME....Lance COULD HAVE BEEN one of them. Lance got his start in triathlons....were you aware of this? At the time, I don't believe N. Dakota was a mecca for triathletes either now was it??

You should bring up the whole Jamaican bobsled team too while you are stating the obvious... The reason they were such a big deal is because the broke free from the norm....they certainly were not your TYPICAL bobsled team....much like Andy is not your TYPICAL American pro cyclist.

Now go google some more pro names that came from states with less desireable weather for us all....thanks.
    Whoa. My friend it was just a joke, no offense intended, sorry for the confusion.

I thought the communicated the smiley happy part of my comment.

always right sometimes
    @DM

Entertaining response.... I hate to get off topic, but when/if one is to get called out, typically they will feel compelled to respond. I am wondering what would happen if people rolled their eyes and gave a thumbs up to their bosses during their first day at work...hmm? According to you, it would a be all good as long as the thumbs up was there to cancel out the clear disrespect of eyes rolling. Out here, we tend to get rid of employees rapidly that act in this manner... I would hope that you are just playing dumb and you are not really this clueless....

Now....back to addressing the OP and your post about N. Dakota...again, I don't believe N. Dakota is an incredible location to reside in given that the OP is wanting to be around lots of cycling talent....Does this imply that there is not a single talented rider in N. Dakota..clearly not.

I agree with nearly every location mentioned in this forum....just not yours about N. Dakota...sorry.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 02-19-2010 at 03:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    @DM

Entertaining response.... I hate to get off topic, but when/if one is to get called out, typically they will feel compelled to respond. I am wondering what would happen if people rolled their eyes and gave a thumbs up to their bosses during their first day at work...hmm? According to you, it would a be all good as long as the thumbs up was there to cancel out the clear disrespect of eyes rolling. Out here, we tend to get rid of employees rapidly that act in this manner... I would hope that you are just playing dumb and you are not really this clueless....

Now....back to addressing the OP and your post about N. Dakota...again, I don't believe N. Dakota is an incredible location to reside in given that the OP is wanting to be around lots of cycling talent....Does this imply that there is not a single talented rider in N. Dakota..clearly not.

I agree with nearly every location mentioned in this forum....just not yours about N. Dakota...sorry.
    @RYD

All apologies, was trying to make a joke about Andy Hampsten's unlikely birthplace, not practicing employer conversation etiquette or suggesting that frozen tundra is the hottest place to be a pro cyclist. Just a harmless joke, not trying to call you out, but I understand how teh internetz work. I'll try to choose a less offensive emoticon next time.

@OP

Finally, I'll contribute something valuable to this thread besides a few laughs.

As a non-pro racer, I would suggest one of two avenues, depending on your current level of progress in the sport.

1) Are you simply training, finding your legs, getting the miles in and seeing how your fitness progresses? Are you at "ground zero" of the pro cycling progression? I'd go anywhere with mountains, relatively good weather, but MOST importantly cheap living. Watts are watts and you just need to throw them down safely and cheaply. Maybe a place like Sandpoint, Idaho, or Austin, TX, or an affordable pocket of the Northeast or Cali (if they even exist, I have no idea).

2) If you're at the point where you need to make connections, brush shoulders on and off the bike with pros, and have a racing and training scene that showcases your already developed pro ability, I think you've got plenty of great suggestions already in this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    If your're talking about domestic (US) pros, they're pretty much everywhere. While you'll see spots like San Diego, Tuscon etc. mentioned, teams usually gather there for training camps. It's not as if all these guys live there year round. Boulder though does have a very high concentration of pros though.

As an amateur, don't worry about migrating to one of these meccas. There's plenty to learn in your local racing community (unless you don't really have one). Remember, all these pros start somewhere. PA, New England, the Mid Atlantic, the Mid West all are pretty well represented in the pro ranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    @DM

Wow! Really? Calm down Francis. You seriously could not tell he was being facetious? Really? Your first response was over the top but your second, after he cleared the air for you was beyond ridiculous. Not sure how you construed his post as calling you out. Are you that socially inept or full of yourself? WTF does your employee reference have to do with anything? How do you get by on a day to day basis as regards social interaction? Nuts.

always right sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBah
    Wow! Really? Calm down Francis. You seriously could not tell he was being facetious? Really? Your first response was over the top but your second, after he cleared the air for you was beyond ridiculous. Not sure how you construed his post as calling you out. Are you that socially inept or full of yourself? WTF does your employee reference have to do with anything? How do you get by on a day to day basis as regards social interaction? Nuts.

Me =

You =

Quickest way to essentially call someone a jackass here =

To DM....thanks for the clarification...got it...no worries.... Because you are actually from N. Dakota, I assumed you had taken offense to my comments. So yeh, I did think you were serious. I see now that you were kidding.....

To OP....hope you have found some of the responses to be a bit useful...apologies for getting off topic.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 02-20-2010 at 05:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    There are some good responses here. Thanks

I live in Tennessee with my parents = cheap + 1700' hills + a pretty strong cycling scene.

In comparison to what the best places offer I dont think my town is far off

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking Tucson Mt. Lemmon climb is a MUST for any avid cyclist!!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboie
    I moved to Tucson, AZ from Baton Rouge, LA in the spring of 2005 just for the cycling. It was great and the "shootout" was killer. Ralph, owner of Freewheel cycles, is a great guy. The 26 mile climb to the top of Mt. Lemmon was a gas, but the trip back down was even gasssssier. I would still be living there if the economy would not have busted. I couldn't get a job anywhere so I had to move back to Loserana. The only motivating factor here is the fear of being eaten alive by the misquitos. I would move back to Tucson tomorrow if I could.

I completely agree about everyone's post about Tucson being a great place to bike! My wife is originally from there so fortunately I will be visiting often. If you are looking for a place to become a world class cyclist this is certainly the place. I recently went out there to ride in the Tour of Tucson and was blown away by all the great scenery, avid cycling clubs, and incredible scenery. Team Radio Shack was out there with Lance at the same time for a couple of weeks.

I did the Mt.Lemmon Climb all the way to the Observatory and it was by far the toughest but most rewarding ride of my life. The elevation is almost 10K up there and tough to breathe if not used to it. However the view up there will make you feel like you just biked into Heaven. Going back downhill I could not stop smiling from how much fun it is to go downward for an hour! I strongly believe that this is a top 10 lifetime experience any avid cyclist should have. I was so inspired after this ride that I went out and spent a small fortune on a new bike to see if i can improve my result next time. Cant wait to go back again for the 2010 Tour and ride again with my new friends!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Central Florida, especially hilly Clermont, FL during the winter
    but the big focus is triathlons......tons of pros
    plus a very big year round cycling scene

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12