Is there a city in America that attracts pro and or aspiring Cyclists?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009

if there is i want to move there and get my training on with the best!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Boulder, CO
    Durango, CO
    Bend, OR
    San Diego, CA
    Los Angles, CA
    Austin, TX

To name a few...Not sure about the east coast.

Basically any place that has year round or near year round riding, lots of climbing and some elevation if possible.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

Mar 2009
    Santa Barbara, Santa Yenz too

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Asheville NC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Boulder CO, and Colorado Springs CO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lots of pros and aspiring pros in Colorado Springs. Check out the 10am rides from downtown (Tejon and Bijou) on Sat and Sun. Probably the toughest thing has been adjusting to the 6000+ ft elevation since moving here in July.

Good Person
    Asheville NC

.*`*.**.*`*.
    Levi lives here in Santa Rosa

http://www.levisgranfondo.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Tuscon/Scottsdale, AZ and (surprisingly) Iowa City

limit screwed
    Sep 2005
    Trexlertown, PA (and environs).
    "They'll be making us a shoe made entirely of steel wool and canvas. Steel is real, wool is real, so it follows that steel wool is the realest material of them all."
    -buck-50

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Greenville SC

Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
    In the winter months, there's more pros per capita in Tucson, AZ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tucson AZ. Check out Fairwheel Bike's Shootout. Arguably the toughest winter group ride in the country. Tuesdays morning ride is no joke either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Boulder in the warmer months, somewhere like the French Riviera or the Costa Blanca in southeast Spain in the winter. Also keep in mind Girona, Spain. I mean, if you are going to train with the pros, might as well go whole hog and move to Europe.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven Wonder
    Tucson AZ. Check out Fairwheel Bike's Shootout. Arguably the toughest winter group ride in the country. Tuesdays morning ride is no joke either.
    Tuscon has an awesome cycling scene.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    East Coast don't forget about NYC. Hincapie came from the local scene here and tons a super strong riders.

always right sometimes
    San Diego...went for ride on coast yesterday...literally 100s of cyclists, teams etc... Anywhere you have year round outdoor cycling weather will produce top cyclists I believe. If Lance was from Minnesota, we may not know his name

Vintage cyclist
    Boulder & Colorado Springs for sure.

Salt Lake City has been attracting a lot of cyclists lately as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    San Diego...went for ride on coast yesterday...literally 100s of cyclists, teams etc... Anywhere you have year round outdoor cycling weather will produce top cyclists I believe. If Lance was from Minnesota, we may not know his name

Yeah, the whole North Dakota thing really kept Andy Hampsten down.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 180
    Levi lives here in Santa Rosa

http://www.levisgranfondo.com/
    Does he train there in the winter? I'd think too much rain- especially this year.
    To the troll mobile, away...

always right sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by DM.Aelis
    Yeah, the whole North Dakota thing really kept Andy Hampsten down.

Rolling eyes huh? Pretty rude..

Simple fact smart guy... Where there is more sun, there is typically more physical activity. Simple math...simple odds. People do win the lottery too. Andy is a stud and didn't let crappy weather keep him from his dreams, like many do I am sure. YOUR STATE of N. Dakota ranks at number 46 out of 50 for cycling friendly states. Ouch. You are new to cycling, so I should cut you some slack I guess...

In reference to the OP, which I think threads are supposed to be about, N. Dakota would be a horrible recommendation for many reasons. Poor weather, drivers not used to seeing cyclists, lack of clubs/teams, exposure, events, races etc etc You would not actually recommend an aspiring cyclist to move to N. Dakota now would you??

How many potentially great cyclists are out there that never got into the sport simply because the weather/environment was not conducive to fun outdoor training rides year round? I am sure there ARE SOME....Lance COULD HAVE BEEN one of them. Lance got his start in triathlons....were you aware of this? At the time, I don't believe N. Dakota was a mecca for triathletes either now was it??

You should bring up the whole Jamaican bobsled team too while you are stating the obvious... The reason they were such a big deal is because the broke free from the norm....they certainly were not your TYPICAL bobsled team....much like Andy is not your TYPICAL American pro cyclist.

Now go google some more pro names that came from states with less desireable weather for us all....thanks.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 02-18-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Aug 2007

Tucson

I moved to Tucson, AZ from Baton Rouge, LA in the spring of 2005 just for the cycling. It was great and the "shootout" was killer. Ralph, owner of Freewheel cycles, is a great guy. The 26 mile climb to the top of Mt. Lemmon was a gas, but the trip back down was even gasssssier. I would still be living there if the economy would not have busted. I couldn't get a job anywhere so I had to move back to Loserana. The only motivating factor here is the fear of being eaten alive by the misquitos. I would move back to Tucson tomorrow if I could.

Rider
    Jun 2008
    I just left Tucson and still work for Ralph and Fairwheel bikes. Tucson is a great place to go and train if you already have connections and the contract you want for the year. It's a bad place to make connections and progress your career though. Very little industry and actual teams around there.

Your best bets are SoCal if you want to live there year round. Nor Cal if you don't mind going to SoCal to train. East Coast (Boston or NY, Empire cycling is a good amaeture feeder team as is bikereg.com) if you don't mind going to Tucson or SoCal to train. Colorado is good to but you need to leave for the winter.

chamois creme addict
    I think subsequent postings have shown the OP is a bit of dreamer, but regarding "where to live" to be an aspiring domestic pro cyclist, here's my thoughts.

In the racing season the most important place to live is the cheapest place. If that means at home with the parents, or sponging off the GF so be it. For a national-level cat 1 there will be enough travel and racing that the location is not super critical but of course being near a big hub for ease of flying is important. Also the home base region needs to have enough racing to sustain the season when one is not racing big races. But one could easily live in Ohio or Illinois and be fine. Or the mid-Atlantic region.

For the winter months, the best plan is to get to a warm weather destination. Arizona, So Cal, Georgia, Southern Carolina, Texas (works for this dude in Austin), or New Mexico. But again, the best option is a warm place where one can live cheaply. The time and commitment needed to get to where a pro team might have a look at a rider almost guarantees very little time to work and have a secondary life, so being able to live on the cheap is very important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast