3 Hot Summer Days
    MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

3 Hot Summer Days

It had been a while since we had done much riding; not in distance so much but we just hadn't ridden day after day since we went to Texas. Miss M was getting antsy and decided to to something about our lack.

The Plan; Right after the market closed on Saturday we would drive about 100 miles south to Ashland VA and spend the night. COD Sunday (Crack of Dawn) we would start riding south to eventually meet up with some of the family who were riding Bike Virginia. Of course the reason we would start at COD was to beat the famous Virginia 3 H's (Hot, Humid and I have no idea what the third H was but the talking heads on TV kept bringing it up).

Did we actually know where we were going? Sort of.

Did we have a good map? Not really.

Did we have a route slip? For the first 10 miles yes.

Were we worried? Heck no.

Let's ride!

Anyway we headed south following the marked "76" bike route figuring that sooner or later we would start seeing other cyclists and we could follow them the last few miles into Colonial Williamsburg where we were staying in the same hotel as most of the family.

And that is exactly how it went.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Only one detail. Those "Other Cyclists" turned out to be 2,000 other cyclists and the line at the Jamestown Ferry to take us across the James River was huge. Our wait was more than 40 minutes and there were 3 ferrys running.

BTW on hot humid (and whatever the third H is) days like this we tend to not eat much-just getting by on lots and lots of Gatorade but we set a new PR for lack of food eating nothing for 106 miles!

The DQ right next to our hotel sure hit the spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Yorktown.

Carnage.

Afterall a battlefield is (or was) all about death and suffering. No reason today should be any different.

Talking with the family over a few beers Sunday night we found out that Bike Virginia was going to ride to Yorktown and tour the battlefields. One thing we really wanted to do on this trip was to avoid getting mixed in with the organized trip so Monday was going to be COD again for us.

I have seen a lot of battlefields and am never failed to be moved when visiting them. Matter of fact on the way south from Ashland we passed through the endless series of Richmond Battlefields.

But I had never been to Yorktown. As far as it goes once we were about 15 miles into the first days ride we were on roads new to both of us. It was quite a treat to be on unknown roads.

Anyway after seeing the way the folks in Bike Virginia were riding as soon as we got on the Colonial Parkway we both had the same thought, "Carnage". The road was rough, real rough with no shoulder; just a curb. Put 2,000 riders of varied skills and fitness on that thing with all sorts of vehicle traffic and there was no question what the result was going to be. And they were going to have to ride out and back on that Parkway.

Ouch!

Didn't bother us though, we were so far ahead of the tour that we had the Parkway and Battlefield to ourselves. We didn't see another cyclist until we left the battlefield and started heading back to Williamsburg.

What an amazing battlefield it is. Almost no memorials, statues or structures the place was great for a couple of cyclists. Narrow roads, a little rainfall, some stream crossings, lush vegitation and that same nasty road surface.

We loved it.

Alas when we hit the Parkway on our way back to Williamsburg our expectations were realized. In addition to the nonstop stream of cyclists on the other side of the road there was heavy tour bus and auto traffic. Not to mention the ambulances, fire engines, police and EMS vehicles going to scrape the fallen off the road. OTOH we were so amazed by the sight of all those cyclists going the other way that we didn't even notice how bad the road surface was.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

We got back in plenty of time for a relaxed tour of the old town and a nice meal (or two).
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Smoking Hot Return

For a summer trip in Virginia the weather hadn't been all that bad. Sunday and Monday wern't all THAT humid and the temps were only in the mid 80's. For around here that ain't bad at all.

Tuesday alas, the weather returned to normal and those 3 H's were back with a vengence (does anyone know what that darn third H stands for?).

There was a big ol' thunderstorm very early Tuesday morning. It was gone by sunrise but the effects were still around, the air was so thick we were soaking wet right from the get go. COD of course.

We were returning to Ashland on a much shorter route than we took on the way out. All we had to do was follow the "76" bike route. Piece of cake.

We got an early enough start to miss most of the morning traffic plus there were some sections of empty MUTs to ride on. Still it was warming up and the sun was out. Since we weren't worried about trying to catch anyone we stopped at a few of the battlefields and memorials we passed on the way out. Sad to say, not all the memorials are all that old.

The closer we got to Ashland the heavier the traffic got and we ran into a lot of road construction that we missed on Sunday. We did remember to eat this time though-Miss M bought us a small bag of potato chips at 50 miles or so.

They sure tasted good!

We reached Ashland in fine style right around noon but after 6 hours of riding in the summer heat we were ready to clean up before the ride home. You gotta love the Y.

Clean, cooled and refreshed all we needed was a quick bite before the drive home. Talking it over at a well deserved lunch we both came to the same conclusion, "What a great trip!"

MB1
    2 thumbs way up.

abominable slowman

White's ferry?

Is that White's Ferry? Or somewhere else. I've been wondering about White's Ferry and whether cyclists use it much. Whatever that is pictured, looks like it's well used by cyclists.

Grey Manrod
    Do you really not know what the third "H" is, or are you just putting us on?

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    Perhaps I am just having a "Senior Moment" but no matter how hard I try I just can't recall what the heck it is.

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Perhaps I am just having a "Senior Moment" but no matter how hard I try I just can't recall what the heck it is.
    Found it:
    http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA...6/08160281.htm
    Hazy. Hot. Humid.
    Hazy is how my memory gets sometimes.
    <<a sig line goes here>>

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    I'm pretty sure the third H is "Howdy." Just being nice to make up for the other two H's. Out in Indiana, the extra H in anything was Hoosier.

//are we supposed to actually know what it is? I am also stumped.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

you really captured the humidity and haze in these images.

that pizza is making my mouth water. same goes for the shrimp.

btw - does miss m have a (younger) sister?

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by treebound
    Found it:
    http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA...6/08160281.htm

Hazy is how my memory gets sometimes.
    Which is good since I was worried that the third H might turn out to be "Hemorrhoids."

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

There are 6 sisters and one son.

you really captured the humidity and haze in these images.

that pizza is making my mouth water. same goes for the shrimp.

btw - does miss m have a (younger) sister?
    Miss M is the second youngest of a large family. Her younger sister couldn't make the trip (signed up too late for Bike Virginia and can't keep up with us being a married working mother and all).

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Her younger sister being a married working mother.

shucks.

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by llama31
    Is that White's Ferry? Or somewhere else. I've been wondering about White's Ferry and whether cyclists use it much. Whatever that is pictured, looks like it's well used by cyclists.
    No that's the Jamestown Ferry; Whites Ferry is very small and I've seen cyclists using it.

MB1 great stuff, I couldn't remember the 3rd H until someone posted it either. Glad you and Miss M had such a good time. Wonderful pics of the battlefields looks like something to add to the list.
    cheers,
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by llama31
    No, that is the Jamestown Ferry (I was a little late in adding text to the photos) Whites Ferry is much smaller.

BTW I guess quite a few riders cross the Potomac on Whites Ferry, we do it a few times a year but don't normally see any other cyclists on it.

You could do a forum search on "Whites Ferry" and get several hits from my ride reports.

Non non normal
    Nice pictures. It has been so humid the last two days I just didn't ride. Didn't even ride a lunchtime because there is no air conditioning in our building right now (broke).

I blow up like a hand grenade when tossed into a HHH ride.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Mess O'Potamist
    hot indeed- that's some good stuff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Nice Pics

Grey Manrod
    How do you guys live hear and forget the third H....that's my least favorite one.

Yo no fui.
    I love how in most of your pictures it looks like the Mrs. is dropping you like a load of bricks.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

That is because she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I love how in most of your pictures it looks like the Mrs. is dropping you like a load of bricks.
    She set everything up for this one.

First she says to me, "I'm going to ride the fixte. Can you put the aero bars on it?"

Then she says, "Can you put a rack on your bike? There are some things we need to bring." This after we mailed a package to the hotel with clothes and such.

So there she is on all those flat roads riding what is in essence a TT rig and I am on a somewhat loaded tourer. OTOH I sure enjoyed the day in the middle when I didn't carry anything........