Advice Needed? Good shoes for 12 mile commute AND 1 mile run?
    Just Ridin'

Advice Needed - Good shoes for 12 mile commute AND 1 mile run?

II'm currently commuting 25 miles round trip, with an extra 1 mile run at the end (to get me to the gym and showered) 4 days a week and need to get a new pair off shoes (currently have a pair of old shimano's).

I want a pair that has the 2 bolt spd-style cleat pattern with some flex for the pavement running (I think cyclocross shoes are out as they have beefy grips that I don't need).

I'm looking at the following but wonder if there are better ones out there:
    - Specialized Tahoe Shoes
    - Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek Bike Shoes
    - Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II Bike Shoes

Any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by neilcrumpton; 09-29-2010 at 12:44 PM.

hit it
    12 mile commute & a 1 mile run....

I'd change shoes at the transition or just wear running shoes w/ clips & straps on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT
    12 mile commute & a 1 mile run....

I'd change shoes at the transition or just wear running shoes w/ clips & straps on the bike.
    I thought about doing this but don't have the room to carry an extra pair nor the want to haul the (minimal) extra weight for 12 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilcrumpton
    I thought about doing this but don't have the room to carry an extra pair nor the want to haul the (minimal) extra weight for 12 miles.
    you missed his alternative suggestion: Wear running shoes on the bike, with flat pedals and toeclips.

I don't know of any cycling shoe I'd like to run a mile in, but maybe there are some.

Or you could take up the new/old "minimalist" running style and do the run barefoot ;-)

duh...
    I would never use bikes shoes for running a mile

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    I would never use bikes shoes for running a mile
    I'm not looking to break any records running/jogging in the shoes, just something that has a little flex & grip to get me where I want to go! It looks like both the Shimano & Pearl Izumi's can do the job but I was hoping that there may be more choices out there!
    Last edited by neilcrumpton; 10-07-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    you missed his alternative suggestion: Wear running shoes on the bike, with flat pedals and toeclips.
    That could be a solution although I'd prefer to save the wear on my running shoes for the 12+ miler runs (I also run home from work once a week).

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I own the Specialized Tahoe. You will still scrap the cleats while running but the shoe is comfortable. I think you would be better to just go with flats or caged pedals and a running shoe.

hit it
    Or you could take up the new/old "minimalist" running style and do the run barefoot ;-)
    I don't know about running barefoot, but I do run using a midfoot / Pose method. The shoes are super light (12 ounces for a pair of shoes).

Nike Zoom Waffle XC Green Kicks

-- OR --

Vibram Five Fingers Goofy Finger Toes

I think I got my Nikes on eBay for $30 shipped. The Vibrams are expensive and I actually prefer running in the Nikes.

/// Yer calves are going to kill you for a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT
    I don't know about running barefoot, but I do run using a midfoot / Pose method. The shoes are super light (12 ounces for a pair of shoes).

/// Yer calves are going to kill you for a few weeks.
    I'm on board with that, more or less. I'm not much of a runner, and I pretty much gave it up a few years ago because of the trouble it was giving my knees and hips. But I've wanted to get back to it for a little cross-training and some duathlons, which I used to enjoy (though I never placed very well). So after I read the book (you know which book), I tried a little running in old sneakers, using the forefoot placement, and found that it's much easier on knees, quads and hip, though it puts a whole different load on the foot and, as you say, works the hell out of the lower calf.

Now I've made myself a pair of these

$20 for the kit. I'm working my way up toward very modest distances, and strengthening the feet and calves is going to take time and work, but I really like the feeling. And my knees love it.

Just Ridin'
    Has anyone come across Northwave? I saw a pair of Northwave Touring shoes which look like they could fit the bill but would like some advice from any wearers? Can you jog in them okay?
    http://northwave.com/usa/shoes_det.p...atid=4&area=4#

Yo no fui.
    Has anyone come across Northwave? I saw a pair of Northwave Touring shoes which look like they could fit the bill but would like some advice from any wearers? Can you jog in them okay?
    http://northwave.com/usa/shoes_det.p...atid=4&area=4#
    As someone who has mountain biked and done numerous hike a bikes in mountain bike shoes which, unlike most other shoes, are sort of designed to be walked in, I say your premise of running in cycling shoes is misplaced.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

Just Ridin'
    I'm not looking to break any records, just want a pair of shoes that will hold up on a short run - I've had no issues jogging in a pair of Shimano MTB shoes but don't need cyclocross shoes (where people run & cycle in the same pair of shoes). I thought that I could get some advice on pavement-orientated versions of cyclocross shoes.

I think people are making an assumption that I'm looking to wear the same shoes for cycling and long distance runs (not true!) - as a long distance runner, a 1 mile jog is significantly different. Is there really no viable shoes for cycling followed by a short jog?

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    As someone who has mountain biked and done numerous hike a bikes in mountain bike shoes which, unlike most other shoes, are sort of designed to be walked in, I say your premise of running in cycling shoes is misplaced.
    Pablo - I'd appreciate your advice - do you feel that all (4) of the shoes I mentioned are useless for cycling followed by short jogs? I'm a relative newbie to cycling (although have racked up about 2500 miles on my bike since the spring) and am curious to understand why these won't be suitable? Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pablo - I'd appreciate your advice - do you feel that all (4) of the shoes I mentioned are useless for cycling followed by short jogs? I'm a relative newbie to cycling (although have racked up about 2500 miles on my bike since the spring) and am curious to understand why these won't be suitable? Thanks in advance!
    Pablo will, I'm sure, give you an articulate answer in a moment, but let me chime in. The shoes are not "useless for cycling followed by short jogs". They're useless for jogging, period. Any shoe that is designed as a cycling shoe, even a "walkable" mtb shoe, is too stiff, expecially in the forefoot, to be at all comfortable running. If I had your requirements, I would do what most people here advised. Get a good flat pedal system that provides good support for a conventional shoe, add toeclips and straps, or something like Powergrips, and ride in your running shoes.

Just Ridin'
    Thanks for the advice JCavilia - I'm looking into the toeclip/strap solution although it comes with it's own problems (having to replace expensive running shoes more often given the increased midsole wear in the forefoot from cycling).

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and make do with 2 pairs (and put up with a larger backpack) as others have also suggested.
    Last edited by neilcrumpton; 10-07-2010 at 10:34 AM.

duh...

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Yo no fui.
    Pablo will, I'm sure, give you an articulate answer in a moment, but let me chime in. The shoes are not "useless for cycling followed by short jogs". They're useless for jogging, period. Any shoe that is designed as a cycling shoe, even a "walkable" mtb shoe, is too stiff, expecially in the forefoot, to be at all comfortable running. If I had your requirements, I would do what most people here advised. Get a good flat pedal system that provides good support for a conventional shoe, add toeclips and straps, or something like Powergrips, and ride in your running shoes.
    What a great answer J. It really is all about the extremely stiff sole of cycing shoes. Also, the sole/traction of cycling shoes are generally really hard and provide no traction, or at least, poor traction. The only time I'm aware of people running in cycling shoes is for brief sections of cyclocross races, and there, it's for very short sections (like a few dozen yards) and they are running on soft ground.

If you have some minimal style running shoes like those that have been suggested, they really won't add much weight or space, and you'd get the benefit of cycling shoes while on the bike.

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    Thanks - this could be a great solution!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the advice JCavilia - I'm looking into the toeclip/strap solution although it comes with it's own problems (having to replace expensive running shoes more often given the increased midsole wear in the forefoot from cycling).
    I could be wrong, but I think if you get pedals with a good large platform (not the usual cages, with their relatively sharp edges), the wear from cycling will be minuscule compared to the wear from running. Also, as you noted above, this is a short jog for you; maybe a second, cheaper pair of trainers will suffice for the little run, and you can save your good shoes for the long runs.

Yo no fui.