This ain't no party, this ain't no disco... 3-1-05
    RoadBikeReview Member

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco... 3-1-05

This ain't no foolin' around!

Yeah I had the Talking Heads in my talking head this morning. Not a bad thing.

This morning I awoke to only a couple of inches of snow, which is good and bad. Good because it's only a couple of inches, bad because we didn't receive that hellacious snow storm and work was not cancelled. Drat.

I was a bit delayed this morning as my shoes were not quite dry from last night's commute home. So I actually swapped pedals out and strapped my sidis upon my clod hoppers for the ride in this morning. A bowl of cheerios later, I'm out the door and on my way.

So, below are some pictures; nothing special, the same ol' same ol', but some of the trees this morning were kind of pretty to look at. Even though I am in agreement with my girlfriend that there is nothing spectacular about this "winter wonderland" anymore. MAKE IT STOP! .... I'm ready for spring. So Spring: Spring allready will ya?!

Mark S: Name that building! (Corner of Chase and St.Paul)

Have a great day fellow velos,
    RB

Typical streaking bus shot included in same ol' same ol' fasion!
    Baltimore at 7:00am this morning:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Jan 2005

Another morning of great pics!

Thanks RB!

Do you use the same tires regardless of conditions?

Building...? The Belvedere?

Thanks again for the beauty shots of B-more.

(ff)

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Annoying weather and really annoying forecasters.

I like extreme weather, this in between stuff is good enough to be out in and bad enough to be uncomfortable if you are out too long.

The forecasters want to scare folks so they will tune in more often and be exposed to more advertisements.

I prefer bad weather over bad forecasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member

plane ol' 700x23's

Quote Originally Posted by firefox
    Thanks RB!

Do you use the same tires regardless of conditions?

Building...? The Belvedere?

Thanks again for the beauty shots of B-more.

(ff)
    I was looking for the name of the Building on the corner. -Unless that's actually called the Belvedere.. I dunno. But, no, I have one pair of tires for my fixed gear. Just a pair of Conti Sport tires. The rear's shot and needs to be moved to the front/replaced. I'm looking for a pair of new tires and will probably just buy some Vittoria Saffiro Pro's.

Have a good one FF,
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Jan 2005
    I love this weather!

We had a great ride this past weekend.

See here or here. (Sorry... off-road content)

But I do agree, gotta hate the hype and sh!t forecasting. ;)

(ff)

Go Blue

Buildings and history

[QUOTE=Arby]This Mark S: Name that building! (Corner of Chase and St.Paul)

RB

RB:

The beige brick building at the southwest corner of St. Paul and Chase Streets does not, to the best of my knowledge, have a name. The Belvedere Hotel, which is the red brick building to the right of the photo, was built around 1905 and my guess is that your buidling was built about the same time. My recollection is that it used to house a lot of doctors' offices. I don't know if it is used for offices or apartments now. The Belvedere was until the 1960s, pre-eminent Baltimore hotel -- if you go into the lobby, you can see photographs of the famous and near-famous who stayed there.

The church of which you have photographed a reflection, is Christ's Church (Episcopal). It was built in 1873 and sold by its original owners in the late 1980s.

The Belvedere takes its name from the country estate of John Eager Howard; the house was located just about where Chase Street intersects Calvert Street. There is an equestrian statue of John Eager Howard in Mt. Vernon Place and his family owned most of what is now downtown Baltimore, north of Saratoga Street, in the 18th Century. (A NOTE FOR WOOGLIN: Howard, who is Maryland's greatest Revolutionary War Hero, later a Governor and US Senator, first came to fame as an aide to General Greene in the South Carolina battles in your part of the world at the end of the Revolution.) When the last part of the estate was sold in 1873, the area north of Chase Street along St. Paul and Calvert Streets was deveolped. The block of houses where you live and the two blocks to the south were built in the 1870s and 1880s as a coordinated development, by the succesors to the Howard estate.

My cold/flu is almost over. I rode on the indoor trainer for a while this morning before I left for work (via car and subway). Tomorrow I think that I will brave the elements and ride to work.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Same as it ever was....same as it ever was....same as it ever was...same as it ever was...
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks Mark; get better!

[QUOTE=MarkS]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    This Mark S: Name that building! (Corner of Chase and St.Paul)

RB:

The beige brick building at the southwest corner of St. Paul and Chase Streets does not, to the best of my knowledge, have a name. My cold/flu is almost over. I rode on the indoor trainer for a while this morning before I left for work (via car and subway). Tomorrow I think that I will brave the elements and ride to work.
    Mark,

Glad to hear that you are getting over your cold/flu. I was miserable with that mess for about a good week and then I had to deal with the aftermath for another week of residual crapiness. Hang in there!

Bummer that building has no name, I like it a lot. Thanks for the info though; knew I could count on you for some insightful and informative history on the area!

RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

RoadBikeReview Member

That looks fun

I love this weather!

We had a great ride this past weekend.

See here or here. (Sorry... off-road content)

But I do agree, gotta hate the hype and sh!t forecasting. ;)

(ff)
    That area looks a lot like Patapsco... is it? I used to ride Patapsco almost daily when I lived right next to the Park & Ride trailhead. Let me know when you're headed there next time, I'd love to hook up for some mtb riding. My knobbies haven't hit dirt in over a year... I can't believe it. But I have been riding urban, hucking myself off of the manmade stuff to tide myself over.

Looks like you had a huge turn out there and I see a couple of people holding their bikes up in true DR1 fassion. I kind of miss mtbr.com's passion but got tired of the flaming that goes on in there, but I suppose you have that in any forum. I used to go by "Rocket Boy" over there for years n' years.

Peace,
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Done with winter.
    The rear's shot and needs to be moved to the front/replaced.
    WAIT! Rule 1 of of tire tightwadness: tires only move front to back, not the other way around. Forsaking this will lead to very bad handling and probable dumpage.

Ride safe man.

RoadBikeReview Member

You're right...

Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    WAIT! Rule 1 of of tire tightwadness: tires only move front to back, not the other way around. Forsaking this will lead to very bad handling and probable dumpage.

Ride safe man.
    In my tightwadedness I had forgotten this rule! I think I actually have another Conti sport somewhere in my closet. I'll dig that baby out and use it instead.

Cheerio,
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Jan 2005
    It is actually up around part of Loch Raven. A nice 16 mile loop with lots of hills. It was definite fun with a fixed gear mountain bike in snow!

Do you have any pics of your urban adventures? I used to ride trials, but have found myself sorely out of practice in recent years.

Yup... the flaming gets to me too. :|

I will definitely harrass you next time we go out to Patapsco. It could be a lot of fun.

(ff)

RoadBikeReview Member

I'll dig some out tonight.

It is actually up around part of Loch Raven. A nice 16 mile loop with lots of hills. It was definite fun with a fixed gear mountain bike in snow!

Do you have any pics of your urban adventures? I used to ride trials, but have found myself sorely out of practice in recent years.

Yup... the flaming gets to me too. :|

I will definitely harrass you next time we go out to Patapsco. It could be a lot of fun.

(ff)
    yeah I've got some pretty crazy pictures somewhere. I haven't ridden the MTB in ages and my trials skills are some what lacking too. Since I broke my wrist and don't have much movement, it's been hard to even bunnyhop things. Just dont' have the strength anymore but I'll build it back up. I'll look for some urban pictures tonight and probably post them onto this thread.
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Done with winter.
    Usually I try to buy tires in a set of 3 (when there are sales...). That way when the rear is worn, throw it out, put front on rear, and new one on the front.

Also if it's between sales online your LBS probably has cheapo no name tires laying around... they are good for skid contests too

Jan 2005
    yeah I've got some pretty crazy pictures somewhere. I haven't ridden the MTB in ages and my trials skills are some what lacking too. Since I broke my wrist and don't have much movement, it's been hard to even bunnyhop things. Just dont' have the strength anymore but I'll build it back up. I'll look for some urban pictures tonight and probably post them onto this thread.
    RB
    Sweet! I'll look forward to seeing them!

(ff)

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    The forecasters want to scare folks so they will tune in more often and be exposed to more advertisements.

I prefer bad weather over bad forecasts.
    Don't get me started on forecasters/news media.

I am royally pissed that they teased me through four commercials during the 10 o'clock news, saying the weather was "up next". Either the f'n weather is up after the next commercial break or it's not. Don't screw with someone who goes to bed at 9:30, at 10:40 they are NOT in the mood for it.

RoadBikeReview Member

No luck on urban shots

So, I was going to dig out some Baltimore urban freeriding photos tonight, but I was unable to locate them. I have them on a disk somewhere in my place. I'll get em' posted when they surface.
    In the process of looking for those photos I found some really old photos from when all I did was mountainbike. Ahhh.... the memmories. So, I thought I'd post some of my favorite shots from some of my favorite places to ride. Schaefer Farm, north of Gaithersburg. Schaefer's got the best singletrack I've EVER ridden. Your bars are never straight. It's super twisty, super fast, hardpack with plenty to hop and roll through. Mega fun! If you've ever been there you'll recognize the pictures. (the huck shot is from Wintergreen in VA)

Some mountainbiking pictures:
    RB

Taking a break from the ride: (glasses make great make-shift fish eye lenses)

Below: Here's a cool shot I just wanted to post. It's a shot of my Giant AC2 across the retna of my eye. I just stared into the lens until I could see the reflection of the bike on my eyeball. You can see the rear linkage:

below: RB hucking the "cough drop" at Wintergreen Ski resort in VA:

And now some of Shcaefer Farm's incredible singletrack beauty:

One more of Schaefer's sweet swingin' swingltrack!:
    phattire.net
    urban photography

remodeling...me

Nice Helmet!

And the shot of the bike and the snow covered railing is great.
    Firefox, thanks for the great photos, that looked great, I have ridden out there before, it is beautiful.
    That Schaeffer Farm looks brill, awesome shot in the field.
    Mark I am glad you are feeling better there are some nasty cold going around this year.
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Jan 2005
    Damn, those are some sweet pics! I love the Schaeffer Farm shots (brings back good memories). I used to ride down there a fair amount. It is single speed heaven. We should definitely hook up some time and hit either Patapsco or Loch Raven. Loch Raven has some sweet singletrack and lots of log obstacles.

(ff)
    Last edited by firefox; 03-02-2005 at 05:50 AM.