Anyone been hit by a motorist flicking a cigarette?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Commuter

Motorist flicked their cigarette at you?

Motorist flicked their cigarette at you? Happened to me on several occasions. For those who have been "flicked" by a cig, read this story below and hopefully it'll make up for it ;).

Expensive litter: Tossed cigarette ignites SUV
    Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Thursday, February 17, 2005

No ifs, ands or butts about it, Jonathan Fish learned an expensive lesson today about the dangers of littering.

The 20-year-old San Francisco resident was rolling across the upper deck of the Bay Bridge at 10:40 a.m., smoking a cigarette. When he got to Harrison Street, he rolled down the window of his white 2004 Ford Expedition SUV and tossed out the butt.

Instead of bounding along the pavement, however, the still-lit cigarette blew back in and set the interior of his $30,000 SUV ablaze.

Black smoke filled the vehicle. Fish pulled over to the far left-hand lane about 100 feet from the Harrison Street exit and leaped from the Expedition, but instead of putting the SUV in park, he left it in neutral.

The flaming Expedition rolled driverless into a guard rail by the exit, where it crashed to a stop and burned to the frame.

California Highway Patrol officers and fire crews arrived and closed the off-ramp until 11:45 a.m., tying up traffic all the way back to the toll plaza. Fish had his hair singed but was otherwise unharmed.

Tossing a burning cigarette onto the road is a misdemeanor, and even though this particular cigarette never actually hit the road, Fish will probably be cited all the same, the CHP said. The citation can be up to $1,000.

"Obviously, this guy is fortunate that he wasn�t a fatality and that he did not receive any more serious injuries than singed hair," said Officer Shawn Chase of the California Highway Patrol.

URL: https://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c.../suvfire17.TMP
    Last edited by meat tooth paste; 02-18-2005 at 01:14 AM.
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

Jan 2005
    There is a big smile on my face.

(ff)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for sharing, Meat.
    Later,
    TY (northcoast)

Go Blue

never had a cigarette

But, on Wednesday morning, I almost was hit with the bottom part of someone's coffee. There was a long line of traffic at a red light, so I did an "RB" move and rode between the two lanes of stopped traffic (there was more space between the two lanes than there was between the rightmost lane and the a barrier on the right side of the road). Just as I was about to pass an SUV (of course) the driver opened the window and threw out a good part of a cup of coffee. I'm not sure if it was intended for me or if he just didn't like the taste of his morning brew. In any event, I came within inches of being hit.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Not I. Great story, though!

I get really annoyed at drivers who flick their butts out the window at stoplights. I haven't yet had the nerve to roll up to them, pick up the butt, knock on their window and say, "Excuse me, I think you dropped this."

Maybe one of these days, though. As long as they don't have a gun in their glovebox, it would be priceless to see the look on their face.

Go Blue

I assume that everyone drives armed

Quote Originally Posted by vonteity
    Maybe one of these days, though. As long as they don't have a gun in their glovebox, it would be priceless to see the look on their face.
    Maybe it's because I live in Baltimore, the city that has the highest murder rate in the country, but I assume that everyone I encounter is armed. There are lots of times that I would like to raise my middle finger or yell something at a driver -- or even the pedestrians who brazenly jump in front of my bike at an intersection where I have a green light. But, I usually turn the other cheek.

My wimpiness has its origins in an incident that happened about 15 years ago on a street upon which I used to drive my car frequently. Driver #1 gave Driver #2 the finger. Driver #2 followed Driver #1 to his house and gunned him down as he got out of the car. I don't live in that area anymore, but I still think about that incident whenever I am ready to show my anger at someone on the streets.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good theory, Mark. I saw the NYT article you posted about Baltimore's murder rate. You're very wise to "turn the other cheek." I know it's not always easy.
    Have a great day,
    TY (northcoast)

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Maybe it's because I live in Baltimore, the city that has the highest murder rate in the country, but I assume that everyone I encounter is armed. There are lots of times that I would like to raise my middle finger or yell something at a driver -- or even the pedestrians who brazenly jump in front of my bike at an intersection where I have a green light. But, I usually turn the other cheek.
    I live/work/ride/commute in Baltimore, too -- so you can understand my hesitation. That doesn't mean I don't fantasize about having the balls to do something like that. ;)

I thought yelling at pedestrians was fair game, though. I had one idiot on Walther jump right out in front of me at Moravia. He saw me coming and loped slowly across the street diagonally, so as to take as long as humanly possible to cross the street. I didn't know what to say to him after I schreed to a halt inches from him. I think I said, "Thank you."

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    ...There are lots of times that I would like to raise my middle finger or yell something at a driver -- or even the pedestrians who brazenly jump in front of my bike at an intersection where I have a green light. But, I usually turn the other cheek...
    I agree. I think turning the other cheek and riding away is the wise thing to do. You just never know how someone will react to confrontation or to a perceived threat.

Hilly McNilly
    Oct 2002
    The thing that makes me laugh is that he is getting fined for throwing the cigarette out of the window, but all accounts point to the fact that the cigarette stayed in the car. Isn't that ridiculous? Can you get fined for just pre-meditating littering?

Anyways, I am guilty of it. I know, I suck. Europe sucks for hooking me on cigarettes. But, only 3 or fewer a day. And, at least I am a dropper not a flicker. So, unless you have your head at the same height as my tires you're in the clear. (don't hate me)... And, whenever possible it is the trash that gets the butt, not the ground. So, I am not entirely evil.

I missed that guy by about 15 minutes on the Bridge yesterday, but we were also on opposite decks. I was going to Berkeley. That bridge is retarded... but that's another story.

Wood Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    I agree. I think turning the other cheek and riding away is the wise thing to do. You just never know how someone will react to confrontation or to a perceived threat.
    I agree, although I am guilty of slapping more than a few cars with my open palm in downtown L.A. I just consider myself lucky to be alive now.
    Cycleslips

The mind is now free
    Wheels glide silently past hills
    The trail is the pen.

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    The thing that makes me laugh is that he is getting fined for throwing the cigarette out of the window, but all accounts point to the fact that the cigarette stayed in the car. Isn't that ridiculous? Can you get fined for just pre-meditating littering?
    I think the CHP or SFPD is probably going to make a poster child outta this guy and drive the no littering point home as a PSA.

And yes, I think that bridge sucks too.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    I agree, although I am guilty of slapping more than a few cars with my open palm in downtown L.A. I just consider myself lucky to be alive now.
    I've slapped a few cars, but only if they were merging into me.

Never had a cig flipped at me, but I've been pretty nearby when they've come flying out the window.

Commuter
    As an example of just how unpredictable a person's reaction can be to a perceived threat, check out this news story linked below. A couple of teenage girls are lost driving and pull into a random house's driveway to figure things out. The owner looked out the window and perceived it as a danger at shot at the car.

http://tennessean.com/local/archives...nt_ID=62527679

Hilly McNilly
    Oct 2002
    Gotta love the fear factor of this country. It is amazing... and, disgusting.

Commuter
    Yeah I agree.

I was trying to google the incident that occured when I was in high school (1992) about over reaction, but couldn't find it. These two students (high school age) were dressed up in costume to attend a costume party. They arrived early to the party the help. They knocked on the door, but it was the wrong house several lots over. The owner of the house looked through the peep hole and saw the guys in costume and perceived it to be a threat. He went for his gun and shot through the front door, killing one of the boys.

In both this incident and the previous one that I linked, the shooters all claimed that they were defending themselves or their property. This is why I don't slap cars or walk up to car to speak my mind. You just never know.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    The article doesn't say whether the girls were running campy or shimano ....

Seriously, though, the two times I've slapped cars were in an emergency situation.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Not to get all political, but "fear" seems to be driving EVERYTHING in this country. Fear of Muslims, homosexuals, nipples, crime, etc., etc., etc. Part of the problem is that fear has almost replaced sex as the # 1 seller. An inordinate amount of TV shows and movies will either be selling sex or fear. If you watch the local news in L.A., which without exception is unthinkably irresponsible and offensive, their top "stories" will all be fear-inducing. "So far three people in the entire world have died from this rare disease. YOU could be next!"

"Fear" also got our latest president elected.

Sorry for ranting.

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    ...Seriously, though, the two times I've slapped cars were in an emergency situation.
    I think slapping a car that is about to merge into me is fine. It's understood at that point when the motorist realizes what is going on.

The slapping that I wouldn't do is rolling up to stop and yelling at a car and then slapping it's window to give the driver a piece of my mind because of something he/she did a couple hundred yards prior.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    The slapping that I wouldn't do is rolling up to stop and yelling at a car and then slapping it's window to give the driver a piece of my mind because of something he/she did a couple hundred yards prior.
    Yeah, that would be a recipe for disaster. Especially where we live.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I think slapping a car that is about to merge into me is fine. It's understood at that point when the motorist realizes what is going on.
    Although the first of two times I slapped a car, it was a lady and her daugther in a big-ass SUV. She made an effort to pull up to the right of me and ask if I had a problem. I said very calmly, "Well, you almost killed me and yes, I have a problem with that."

But the second time, the guy in the pickup was very apologetic.

Commuter
    Yeah fear is a big motivator in this country. Don't forget that the African Killer Bees are coming!

I think the last news story that I can recall that warranted true fear for me was back in the mid 1980's when Richard Ramirez, aka the Night Stalker, was killing people from the Valley all the way down to Orange County. He used to eat the food in the frig after killing people.

He had Los Angeles scared and locked down during that hot summer.

Finally met his match near my neighborhood in East LA and he was taken down by the cholos. They beat him up pretty badly.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I remember that, quite vividly. I remember playing outside with my friend and my dad told us to come inside, etc. That's when we got the alarm.

I also remember the cholos beating him down, and i can still see him with the bandages on his face.

Commuter
    ...I also remember the cholos beating him down, and i can still see him with the bandages on his face.
    Probably the only incident in LA history where cholos made a citizens arrest ;)

RoadBikeReview Member

Restated

"Fear" also got our latest president elected.
    ..or maybe "fear" prevented a Kerry administration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast