Baltimore checking in. 2/1
    RoadBikeReview Member

Baltimore checking in. 2/1

Good morning!

Yes it is a good morning. I was up and at em' at the usual time; 6:25am and out the door by 6:45am. Kind of icey out there this morning but overall, not so cold. I took the stairs to the top of a parking garage for some photos and enjoyed seeing the sun rise... anytime I can see the sun rise while I'm stradling my bike means it's a good morning allright.

Oscar the cat is famous again today!

Everyone have a great day, I'll do the same!
    RB

Baltimore at 7:00am this morning:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arby; 02-01-2005 at 05:30 AM.
    phattire.net
    urban photography

RoadBikeReview Member

Oh, one more thing...

Not related but out of curiousity:

Can anyone use a couple of 16MB XD cards? The camera I used to need these for was destroyed in a crash this past summer, so they're of no use to me. Will trade for a jersey or something like that if anyone wants them, or I'll just unload em' really really cheap eh.

Thanks,
    RB
    • File Type: jpg xd.jpg (108.2 KB, 197 views)
    phattire.net
    urban photography

RoadBikeReview Member

Always take the camera!

Mornin' RB. Very nice photos today. It's cool how the top of that parking structure has all that snow up there. Bike looks gorgeous with those drop. This morning for me was one of those rides when you wanna kick yourself for not having a camera. Beautiful sky, clouds! Maybe one of the other LA dudes got some shots. Roebuck? One funny thing that happened this morning: left the house in the dark still half asleep. At the first light still groggy, missed the trackstand, Timber! I was floppin' around on the ground like a big tuna in the bottom of a boat trying to get my feet out. All this while bathing in the headlights of the gal in the BMW waiting for me to get up.
    Have a great day!
    TY (northcoast)

Go Blue

Mercy Hospital

Is that Mercy Hospital's parking lot? Yesterday it looked like you were on the Maryland General parking lot. Do you ride your bike up the parking ramp or do you take the elevator? How about on the way down? I can't remember where I read it (maybe here on RBR), but some guy who lived in a flat place used to ride up and down parking ramps to simulate climbing and descending. Of course, if you come out to my neighborhood, you won't need a parking ramp for hill climbing practice. Remember Piney Grove? It's even more fun with a little black ice on it.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member

Mercy indeed

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Is that Mercy Hospital's parking lot? Yesterday it looked like you were on the Maryland General parking lot. Do you ride your bike up the parking ramp or do you take the elevator? How about on the way down? I can't remember where I read it (maybe here on RBR), but some guy who lived in a flat place used to ride up and down parking ramps to simulate climbing and descending. Of course, if you come out to my neighborhood, you won't need a parking ramp for hill climbing practice. Remember Piney Grove? It's even more fun with a little black ice on it.
    Goodmorning Mark,

I was waiting for you to name that local. Yep, I was on the top of Mercy Hospital's parking lot and, right you are again, yesterday I was on MD General's lot!

I rode down MD General's ramp yesterday, it was a lot of fun, and at the bottom it gets dangerously tight... like a vortex. I took the elevator down from the lot I was on today though, as I was starting to push the envelope on how much time I can spend on a parking lot before I'm late for work. I have to be headed west on Fayette by no later than 7:08 or 7:09 to make it into work and punch in before 7:30am.

Hey, Amity and I are going to catch a ride with Sheila to the bike swap. Here is a link to information on the Bike Swap:
    http://www.rpmcycling.com/swap_meet.html

Hope to see you there. Clark emailed me for more info about it and I sent him the above link. Hope to see you guys there. I'll have my cell with me if you want to call and meet up; that'd be cool! I will be trying to be happy as I'll be broke at the time of the swap meet. Go figure.

Have a great day,
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have flopped with the best of them my friend. I even did it recently this past summer when I was on a ride with Mark S and my girlfriend. I came to a stop and tried to unclip but my shoe cover snagged my pedal and I went over with all the grace and elegance of a flailing one winged herring. Beautiful.

... and I've been riding clipless since 96!

Glad you fell today, I'm sure you were smiling as you got up.. it makes me laugh a little when I do it!
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by northcoast
    Mornin' RB. Very nice photos today. It's cool how the top of that parking structure has all that snow up there. Bike looks gorgeous with those drop. This morning for me was one of those rides when you wanna kick yourself for not having a camera. Beautiful sky, clouds! Maybe one of the other LA dudes got some shots. Roebuck? One funny thing that happened this morning: left the house in the dark still half asleep. At the first light still groggy, missed the trackstand, Timber! I was floppin' around on the ground like a big tuna in the bottom of a boat trying to get my feet out. All this while bathing in the headlights of the gal in the BMW waiting for me to get up.
    Have a great day!
    No pics yesterday, except for a couple I shot of the Encino Velodrome. Wasn't really planning on sharing these but at least you can see how damn beautiful it was. I rode there for the first time yesterday and had a blast. First time on a fixie. Now I want a Pista.

On Sunday I was carrying my bike down my stairs. I have Look pedals. Those cleats have zero traction and my stairs are slick as well. Halfway down the last flight I slipped and slid all the way down to the bottom, with my bike hitting me, the stairs, the railings, the wall. Only damage done is a bruise on my lower back, a few scrapes and a totalled rear tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Be careful Roebuck. The fixie can be a major addiction. I know some people who ride in Encino. I've really wanted to try it. Someone told me that they have a beginner day for people who have never ridden a track.
    BTW- About the whole falling like an idiot issue: gotta have a sense of humor and just laugh.
    See ya,
    TY (northcoast)

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Be careful Roebuck. The fixie can be a major addiction. I know some people who ride in Encino. I've really wanted to try it. Someone told me that they have a beginner day for people who have never ridden a track.
    BTW- About the whole falling like an idiot issue: gotta have a sense of humor and just laugh.
    See ya,
    Yeah, on Monday evenings they have a little beginner session. The guy was obnoxious but pretty cool. I was on the track in a matter of minutes so it was no big deal.

I know this is a cliche, but it's amazing how much coasting you do without thinking about it. Changing hand positions, sliding up or down on the saddle, etc. I never realized that I would coast for a half-second while doing stuff like that.

At the time I slid I was a little stressed because I was about to go on a ride with a couple other people. I also just bought a new wheelset and thought the tire damage was actually rim damage. But within a few minutes I was laughing about it.

Commuter
    Hey Dr.R:

If you wanted a track bike for little money, you can get a Mercier Kilo TT basic bike off of ebay for $347 "Buy It Now" price. Someone over on the Fixed Gear forum recently bought and liked it.

It's got everything. The only only component they seem to blatantly skimp on is the handlebar. They spec'd a road bar instead of a real nice curvy pista bar. Bianchi sells their pista bar for $29 on their online store though, so not too bad.

The only issue with that bike is the size. They only come in 3 sizes: 50, 57 and 60cm (c-t-c).

eBay link here...

You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

Commuter
    Be careful Roebuck. The fixie can be a major addiction. I know some people who ride in Encino. I've really wanted to try it. Someone told me that they have a beginner day for people who have never ridden a track....
    They do have a beginners clinic, which is required before you can attend the one nite during the week where it's open for training..

Check their site for the beginners clinic as it's a floating date.

The class is $15, plus $5 for the bike rental if someone needs to rent a track bike or if their road geometry fixie doesn't fit the high bottom bracket/short crank requirement. Knowing how to ride fixed is just one part of equation. They teach you track etiquette and techniques. Very important because someone with bad etiquette can take down the entire pack, like bike roller derby. Some velodromes will make you remove your brakes before being allowed on the track. A rider with a brake and can dangerously slow down his/her bike too quickly and cause a pile up too.

Then after taking the class, you can enter and ride during their open nites.
    See their calender here.

I learned track when I was 14 and 15 years old at the old Olympic Velodrome in Carson. After the Olympics, LA has this junior sports program with all the profit made during the games and free velodrome classes were offer to anyone under 18 years old.

Commuter
    I like the foot print snow shot. Very different from your previous work. ;)

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Meat: Thanks for the heads-up on the Mercer. I'm around 52-54, so I think I'm out of luck. They had some old crusty track bikes in the shed at the velodrome that they might sell. I could have one of those to knock around with and continue renting one whenever I go.

Until I could save up for a better one, that is.

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Mercer. I'm around 52-54, so I think I'm out of luck...
    A little more at $450 is the Windsor Hour, a rebadge Fuji frame from Bikes Direct. They have a 52cm.

Frame Windsor Custom Butted and Tapered 4130 Cromoly with Track Dropout, Externally butted seat tube, double water bottle mounts
    Fork Windsor Custom Drawn Triple Butted and Tapered 4130 Cromoly Aero Road
    Headset FSA Roller Bearing
    Crankset TruVativ Touro, 48T
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge 103mm
    Pedals WellGo Road w/clips and straps
    Front Derailleur N/A
    Rear Derailleur N/A
    Shifters N/A
    Cassette/Freewheel 16T Fixed Gear
    Chain KMC Z410
    Hubs TrackSpec Black Anodized Aluminum, sealed precision bearings
    Spokes Stainless
    Rims 32H DRX2000 Aero Track DoubleWall, black anodized
    Tires Kenda K191 700x23c
    Brakes N/A
    Brake Levers N/A
    Handlebar Butted 6061 Aluminum Anatomical Bend
    Stem Forged/Welded Aluminum, O degree, Removable Clamp, Black Finish
    Tape/Grip Deluxe Cork
    Saddle SL Turbo Style Racing, Cromoly Rail
    Seat Post SL Micro Adjust Aluminum 250mm
    Seat Clamp Windsor SL Machined Aluminum
    Sizes 52cm, 56cm, 61cm
    Colors EddieRed

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Wow. Thanks for finding that, Meat. I saw some of those on eBay as well; Buy it Now was around $350 I think. Are those ergo road bars?

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Wow. Thanks for finding that, Meat. I saw some of those on eBay as well; Buy it Now was around $350 I think. Are those ergo road bars?
    $350 is a pretty good price. It's essentially the entry level Fuji model rebadged.

Those are ergo bars. Like the Mercier, the component that these entry level track bikes tend to skimp on is the handlebar. They just put on a basic road handlebar instead of the nicer curvy pista style bars. Other than that, everything else is on par with the $500 Bianchi Pista in my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    I like the foot print snow shot. Very different from your previous work. ;)
    I'm working on it. Today's post is a little better. Finally started saving things in Raw format... what an amazing difference!
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Commuter
    I shoot in the RAW+Basic setting just to get a lowres jpeg preview. Yeah RAW and the Nikon Capture editor is a great tool. I shoot all my real work in RAW on the D70.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Yeah, there really is a difference with the RAW format. I use RAW + Basic as well; makes it so much easier to browse pics. One of the coolest things is being able to change the exposure compensation and white balance after the pic has been taken.

The one thing that annoys me is you have to pay $90 for Nikon's Capture 4 software. $90, after dropping more than a grand on the camera, just to be able to open pictures taken with that same camera.

But I think I found a workaround. The Photoshop extension that you can install with the trial version of Capture 4 does not seem to expire. At least this way you can open the NEF files.

Commuter
    I agree about it being lame that Nikon doesn't just give the software away as part of the purchase of a $1000 camera body or $1300 kit. Sigma sells their dSLR cameras with the nice software and it's a free download too. Canon also includes their software.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I need to get that Nikon Capture software. Seems like it's $100 well spent. I also am looking forward to getting the 800 module remote flash unit.. the one that is a master for other syn flashes you have. It's about $350 at Ritz camera. That's far off though, I have bills to pay!

RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    ...I also am looking forward to getting the 800 module remote flash unit.. the one that is a master for other syn flashes you have. It's about $350 at Ritz camera. That's far off though, I have bills to pay!
    The $250 SB600 can do the exact same remote triggering. It's just not as powerful, but that all depend on your flash-to-subject distance. For all practical purposes, I would just get the SB600. I often have to reduce the juice on the SB800 because it's too strong in many cases.