the best cold weather clothing

Nov 2004

the best cold weather clothing

what is the best article of clothing that you use for your cold weather commuting? I love my lake mxz 300 winter riding boots. I haven't found their limits yet at all. They keep my feet warmer than my sorrels and they are actually pretty comfortable too. I had to wear them up at work ( Ski Lift opperator, stand outside in the snow and cold all day) after my sorrels got soked one day and I was way happy. It's going to be a sad day when these wear out, hopefully that wont be soon. (side note: this is my first year with these does anyone know what kind of lifespan I can expect?)I'm also partial to my pearl izumi pittard leather amfib gloves. They aren't the warmest pair in the collection, but I think that they have the best temperature range of any gloves I've ever used. They are good from any were between 15 degrees ( with liners) to 45 degrees and they even keep you warm on longer rides.

Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fast klein
    what is the best article of clothing that you use for your cold weather commuting? I love my lake mxz 300 winter riding boots. I haven't found their limits yet at all. They keep my feet warmer than my sorrels and they are actually pretty comfortable too. I had to wear them up at work ( Ski Lift opperator, stand outside in the snow and cold all day) after my sorrels got soked one day and I was way happy. It's going to be a sad day when these wear out, hopefully that wont be soon. (side note: this is my first year with these does anyone know what kind of lifespan I can expect?)I'm also partial to my pearl izumi pittard leather amfib gloves. They aren't the warmest pair in the collection, but I think that they have the best temperature range of any gloves I've ever used. They are good from any were between 15 degrees ( with liners) to 45 degrees and they even keep you warm on longer rides.
    I have a couple items I like ,first bought cannondale Shredder gloves I have many gloves as I wear gloves at work , I even supply my own for work( their free supply stinks) as you state about the PI gloves the shredders have a wide temp. range & their not the warmest out there but have very good dexterity .the index & middle finger have some very grippy leather as does the palms.palms are not padded just one thin learher layer. Next the smartwool helmet liner ,again wide comfort temp range. breathes well ,not for the coldest days tho.very thin.

Cipo's long lost cousin

Here's my favorites

PI Zepher Jacket - During my first couple years of winter commuting I could never find a nylon shell that worked right. They would always trap too much condensation on the inside and I would arrive at work dripping wet. I got the Zepher Jacket a last Christmas and have been very happy with it. It is light and breatheable enough that I can use it as a shell and still not have much condensation build up. It's also extremely light, drys quickly and compresses down very well. It doesn't do much in a rainstorm but for everyday cold riding it works well.

Performance Neoprene Booties - Not nearly as nice (or as warm) as dedicated winter riding shoes BUT these only cost $15 - $19 (depending on if they are on sale). I wore them riding in this morning at 23F with wool socks and SIDI and my feet did fine. I wear these booties anytime the temp dips below 35F.

Patagonia R.5 Jerseys - Gotta admit I'm a little biased here since Mrs. Steve-O is an employee. The R.5 stuff makes a really nice layering piece for cold weather riding. It is thin and light but has some good insulating properties. Only issue with the R.5 stuff is that it is not a cycling specific jersey thus no rear pockets.

PI AmFib Gloves - Ditto....

REI Power Stretch Tights - I've written about these before. Power Stretch is the same material that ICE BIKE uses to make their tights. It isn't as warm as some of the bike specific tights on the market but I can wear the same tights from 50F down to about 35F. Below 35F I layer with Capilene long underwear and I'm good down to about 20F...
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Here are mine:
    Base: Craft l/s with windstopper torso.
    Skull: PI or Outdoor Research are a must.
    Gloves: PI Lobsters are the warmest I've found.
    Booties: Use Castelli but any are a must
    Defeet armskins - on days where the jaket would be too much, the armskins and Craft sleeves are enough (low 40s).

Nov 2004

patagonia/capilene

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    PI Zepher Jacket - During my first couple years of winter commuting I could never find a nylon shell that worked right. They would always trap too much condensation on the inside and I would arrive at work dripping wet. I got the Zepher Jacket a last Christmas and have been very happy with it. It is light and breatheable enough that I can use it as a shell and still not have much condensation build up. It's also extremely light, drys quickly and compresses down very well. It doesn't do much in a rainstorm but for everyday cold riding it works well.

Performance Neoprene Booties - Not nearly as nice (or as warm) as dedicated winter riding shoes BUT these only cost $15 - $19 (depending on if they are on sale). I wore them riding in this morning at 23F with wool socks and SIDI and my feet did fine. I wear these booties anytime the temp dips below 35F.

Patagonia R.5 Jerseys - Gotta admit I'm a little biased here since Mrs. Steve-O is an employee. The R.5 stuff makes a really nice layering piece for cold weather riding. It is thin and light but has some good insulating properties. Only issue with the R.5 stuff is that it is not a cycling specific jersey thus no rear pockets.

PI AmFib Gloves - Ditto....

REI Power Stretch Tights - I've written about these before. Power Stretch is the same material that ICE BIKE uses to make their tights. It isn't as warm as some of the bike specific tights on the market but I can wear the same tights from 50F down to about 35F. Below 35F I layer with Capilene long underwear and I'm good down to about 20F...
    capiline as a base layer is the most comfortable I have found,But.....please ask Mrs. Steve-O why they keep changing it.midweight now is only good for extreme cold/low activity & smells bad too.Family has enjoyed Patagonia products for many years the stuff LASTS.. now that PI Zepher ,mine is Hi Vis yellow and that is the only reason I wear it. I will try it as you sugest (this makes me sweat bad)never wore it below 45.as a safety item it works great,good too here it is not rainwear so I won't count on it as such. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

#1 favorite - Army surplus wool/polypropelene sox.

Wool cycling jackets with nylon front.

Outdoor Research Windstopper gloves for most cold

EMS expedition weight mittens for extreme cold.

Cashmere or merino wool, thrift store sweaters for base layer

For extreme cold, thrift store sweater that somebody shrunk (boiled wool)

The nice thing about thrift store wool as a base layer is that if the temperature goes up too much, you can throw it a way and go get another one for $3.00.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Wool

After years of riding synthetics I am really digging wool this year. The new wool is not itchy, keeps you warm, and does not stink.

For the best quality Merino wool stuff check out Icebreaker of New Zealand. Expensive but worth it. I use their lightest weight "Skin200" T shirt as my base layer.
    http://www.icebreaker.co.nz/product/index.asp

Another wool item I really like is the DeVold Zip T Neck from Rivendell.
    http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog...ing/22394.html

Travels by Map
    This is the first year I've really been serious about riding in the winter, but so far I'm happy with everything I have that is AmFIB. That would be tights, gloves, and shoe covers. When it was 20F the other morning (at 4:30am -- I realize now that I've really gone completely crazy), I wore the tights, shoe covers, gloves, PI balaclava, and a Nike Dri-Fit Tshirt and a Dri-Fit long sleeve under a PI Kodiak jersey. I wasn't cold at all, except for my feet when they got too sweaty after about 40 minutes.

Oct 2003

Rainproof pants

I have a pair of slick hiking, rainproof pants. They are army green so I don't look too cool. But they are the absolute best at stopping wind and the crotch freeze that comes with cold weather. Was out in 9 degrees with wind and was toasty warm.