Bike To Work Day “LOL” moment
    Knives, Guns, and Booze

Bike To Work Day “LOL” moment

Yes, after more than one year of being unemployed, my former employer has me back for 45 days at almost double the hourly rate I was making before. So, today, Bike To Work Day, I was actually able to ride my bike to work, unlike last year (riding to the unemployment office is lame, since they insist you park your $4,500.00 Belgian-made carbon fiber bike outside). Anyhow, I did my usual 4.3-mile round-trip with my boys in the Burley trailer behind my 29er to and from school, and in between I rode the 32 or so mile round-trip to/from work.

The comedy gold, care of silly little fixie hipsters, came when I was riding my boys in the trailer behind my bike (essentially 100 pounds of dead weight in tow) back home from school, which was (a) ever so slightly uphill, and (b) with about a 10MPH headwind. In my helmet-mounted rearview mirror, I noticed two fixie hipsters gradually closing in on me. Naturally, I added more juice to the throttle, so to speak. Was probably going no more than 18MPH at this point (once again, carrying 100 pounds of dead weight). Moving my head around I noticed these guys drafting so close behind the Burley trailer that I had to really move my head around to see them (my head is pretty high off the ground, this bike once again is a 29er). They stuck behind me for a bit more than one-half of a mile, not once did they make a move to pass me. I was sorta laughing to myself. No, I wasn’t mad that they were drafting behind my windwall (trailer), rather, I was entertained.

Riddle me this: fixie hipster bikes with 5-spoke aero wheels are pretty light, right, like on the nature of 15 pounds or so? Dude, if you’re so lame you cannot go 18MPH on your TRACK BIKE without drafting someone TOWING A LOADED TRAILER, then perhaps instead of spending all that money on those racing bikes, it’s time to train properly so you don’t look like a douche and essentially “get owned” (wow, first time I ever used that internet-enabled terminology!!!).

BIGchainRING
    Great story. I have wondered about fixed gear riders a lot over the years, and I guess it can be summed up as a fashion/lifestyle statement for the hipsters I see bopping around town. Not very convenient though in a hilly city like San Francisco (where I live).

I had another funny fixie moment on Sunday. I was walking uphill down a shared pedestrian/bike path after just crossing the street. I guess the crosswalk light changed red behind me because this fixie guy came roaring down the hill and locked up his rear wheel to try and stop. After skidding with the back wheel hopping for about 20' feet he finally got it under control. It looked pretty cool, but I would hate to try and ride that tire with the giant flat spot that must have resulted.

It also made me think again about economics. New tires: $30+; new brake shoes $5-8. I think brake shoes last longer too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I love to hear stories about good fitness beating expensive gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by centurionomega
    Great story. I have wondered about fixed gear riders a lot over the years, and I guess it can be summed up as a fashion/lifestyle statement for the hipsters I see bopping around town. Not very convenient though in a hilly city like San Francisco (where I live).
    I live in SF also and I couldn't believe so many hipsters walking their fixies up AND down nob hill and russian hill. I assume most of them have a standard 48x17, which is a relatively big gear I admit but they couldn't even do 4 or 5mphs up these hills??!!

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by 1natsfan
    I love to hear stories about good fitness beating expensive gear.
    ...and they always have the same great ending!
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Riding a "Fixie", as you call it, is a great workout. I've got two of them and ride them quite often. If I saw a guy on the bike path throwing down a good pace and was hauling a trailer, I might consider dropping in behind him and drafting.

The fixed gear bike culture is a great thing that's going on! Its getting a lot of kids back on bikes. They're affordable, fun and easy/cheap to maintain.

Good on ya in the fact that you were able pull that trailer and maintain the pace. That is some good fitness. Also, congrats on getting your job back.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    The comedy gold, care of silly little fixie hipsters, came when I was riding my boys in the trailer behind my bike (essentially 100 pounds of dead weight in tow) back home from school, which was (a) ever so slightly uphill, and (b) with about a 10MPH headwind.
    + 1 for referring to your children as "dead weight" lol

Hipsters are hilarious!

Arby

phattire.net
    urban photography

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    + 1 for referring to your children as "dead weight" lol

Hipsters are hilarious!

Arby

So, you have brakes now? I remember your brakeless days quite well. Your stops from high speed without brakes were quite impressive.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    So, you have brakes now? I remember your brakeless days quite well. Your stops from high speed without brakes were quite impressive.
    Oh hell no! No brakes on my fixed gear. I refuse to surrender. I did however throw a larger cog in the rear. I was pushing 48X16 all these years. Last summer I changed out the 16T cog for a 17T. Amazing how much a difference one tooth makes.
    phattire.net
    urban photography

rider of odd bikes...
    Great story! I confess, that after some years of trying to figure out why fixies are, I have come to the conclusion that folks who ride them simply can't afford quality geared bikes and as such are deserving of our pity, not our wrath. But then, I have all XT with a triple on the front, an 11-34 on the back, a Thudbuster ST, and 35mm tires on my "road" bike, so what do I know.
    Question:How many bikes does one person really need?
    Answer:Just one more...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hepcatbent
    I confess, that after some years of trying to figure out why fixies are, I have come to the conclusion . . .

If you have to ask, you'll never understand ;-)

Quote:
    Dude, if you’re so lame you cannot go 18MPH on your TRACK BIKE without drafting someone TOWING A LOADED TRAILER, then perhaps instead of spending all that money on those racing bikes, it’s time to train properly

Leopold, did it occur to you that the trailer-suckers may not have been loafing so much as enjoying making faces at your kids? The kids probably got a kick out of it, too. Congrats on getting some work. Hope it gets extended.

Quote:
    I live in SF also and I couldn't believe so many hipsters walking their fixies up AND down nob hill and russian hill. I assume most of them have a standard 48x17, which is a relatively big gear I admit but they couldn't even do 4 or 5mphs up these hills??!!

FG in SF always seemed nutty to me. I ride a FG here in central Connecticut, and I ride some hills, but I use the road bike for the really hilly routes. I used to live in SF and there's no way I would consider using a FG (or SS) there. As for riding up and down Nob Hill and Russian Hill in that gear, have you tried it? 4 mph in that gear is slower than 20 rpm.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 05-14-2010 at 06:46 AM.

No Crybabies

fixed gear

Just fyi, not everyone on a fixed gear is a wannabe hipster. I would die before anyone pulling a trailer would stay in front of me. ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

rider of odd bikes...
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hepcatbent
    I confess, that after some years of trying to figure out why fixies are, I have come to the conclusion . . .

If you have to ask, you'll never understand ;-)
    When I rode a BMW years ago, I used to hear that from my friends who rode Harleys (when they could keep them running) too... and I never got it then either...

It's all riding, and it's all fun!
    Question:How many bikes does one person really need?
    Answer:Just one more...

RoadBikeReview Member

hear, hear

Quote Originally Posted by hepcatbent
    When I rode a BMW years ago, I used to hear that from my friends who rode Harleys (when they could keep them running) too... and I never got it then either...

It's all riding, and it's all fun!
    You got that right, brother. And I applaud anything that gets more people on bikes, whatever their motivation. If they're riding a fixie because they think it's a hipster thing to do, at least they're riding.

I don't think I could have pulled off being a hipster when I was young, and I'm waaaaaaaaaay too old now. I can talk all day about why riding fixed is so much fun, but I'm sure if I played it back and listened closely it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

I gotta get on my rain commuter fixie and pedal my old ass home now to celebrate my 60th birthday. Have a great weekend, all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    it only takes one.......at my school my sophmore year a guy started riding his fixie to school.
    after a while people started to ask about the experience and now we got about 25 fixie riders at my school in my senior year that don't know how to ride. I know they cant ride because I see them swerving all about the road when I ride my MTB to school.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    Leopold, did it occur to you that the trailer-suckers may not have been loafing so much as enjoying making faces at your kids? The kids probably got a kick out of it, too. Congrats on getting some work. Hope it gets extended.
    Kind of impossible for them to have been making faces at my kids, as the Burley D'lite has no window on the back.

Yeah, just had a brief impromptu meeting with my manager (or is she my former manager???) and the VP of the division I am working with, and it was sort of agreed that if there is any other work they can have me do then there’s a good chance they can keep paying me to do it. We’ll see though. The Awesomeness Factor™ = being able to work from home a few days here and there (my kids’ school has strange meaningless strings of days off every month).