boltcutter proof locks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

boltcutter proof locks?

I thought this would be the best place for this question. Does anyone know of a lock (maybe the Kryptonite New Yorker) that will stand up to boltcutters. All suggestions are welcome. Maybe something in Ti. I've had four bikes stolen in my years of cycling, one of which was stolen twice. I'm looking for something for a new touring bike I'm going to order. weight is not really a concern and as long as it's not completely insane price i'snt really much of a concern either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    How did you get your bikes stolen? How and where did you keep your bikes?

Unless you are like one of those people who parks his bike that is worth more than $300 outside overnight and expect that bike to be there next day, you shouldn't have any problems with NY lock.

PhotonFreak
    The NYFU lock in particular is the thickest bicycle U-lock on the market (almost 3/4" steel) which is too thick to be attacked with a boltcutter. That's really the best one can hope for as for as locks go. If someone is willing to use an angle grinder or gas torch they can take a bike (often the rack the bike is locked to is actually easier to cut than the locks themselves)

Only problem with the NYFU is it's pretty small shackle so places without a proper bike rack it may be difficult to find a place to lock to.

Back in college I used to just leave a NYFU lock at the bike rack nearest the lab where I worked. That way I rarely had to carry around all the weight. I used a second ligher and larger U-lock just to use around town, or for short stops. Parking by the lab was the highest risk (high bike theft area, and I often worked very late hours (until 2am in many cases), so buying a lock just to use there was worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys.I guess I'll try the newyorker. By the way only one of the bikes was stolen from outside my house and yes I forgot and left it out after dark. All the bikes were locked with cable locks and all were cut with cutters. I asked because I worked at a shop several years ago and removed a few ulocks for customers who had lost their keys. A hammer was all that was needed. By the way I started riding in 89' so its not like I've had several stolen in the same year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the OnGuard stuff.
    I use the Bulldog U-Lock all the time. Its been attacked a few times with bolt cutters but never been broken. When Im going to leave my bike outside all day/night I use the Beast Chain/ulock, although as the name states its a beast (weighs a ton!). Its total overkill and shouldn't be needed unless you live in a Urban area with high theft. Finally, those braided cables aren't that great; Ive had a couple cut.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    The only proven boltcutter-proof chain that I've seen is the Almax Immobilizer series.

Pairing the Almax Immobilizer in shorter bicycle length (for reduced weight) with a Assa Abloy Protec PL362 (which is still unpickable today, and even if someone does figure out how, it will take the highest level of skill to manage) is the best option for keeping your bike safe.

The boltcutters bend or break before the Almax chain. I imagine part of that is that no one bothers to sell a 19mm chain when they can sell a smaller chain that is cheaper to make.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Just get a good u-lock and you ought to be good to go. I like the Kryptonite Evolution series mini-u myself. Is it unbreakable? No. Is it more difficult to break than most locks on the market? Yes. I lock my bike with the mini-u and a cable for the wheels every time and that combo has served me well.

You don't have to make your bike impossible to steal. You just have to make it worthwhile for a thief to look for an easier target. If you always lock in one place, like at work, you can leave a heavy duty chain or something like a super beefy u-lock there.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why worry about bolt cutters? This is easier to carry, and will cut through even the thickest U-Bolt in 30sec.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Why worry about bolt cutters? This is easier to carry, and will cut through even the thickest U-Bolt in 30sec.

There's no way in hell I could cut my NYFU in 30 seconds with a dremel. For one thing, it's actually necessary to cut the bolt *twice* (there are two locking mechanisms on each end of the bolt) and the thickness of the steel makes it hard to attack with such a small grinder wheel.

That said, your general idea is true. One of these:

can easily defeat any lock on the market, and is still about as easy to carry as a boltcutter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

the lock you always wanted

ive been doing the research on my lock,and saw this post,i have the bolt cutter,grinder,carbide or diamond resistant,and torch resistant,breaks hk porter 48 inch bolt cutters as well as car bumper jacks,lock ,ive prototyped thes 10 years ago,its still ready for production with the chromolly /carbon fiber frame combo designs,the lock weighs two and one quarter pounds with a three quarters shackle diameter,the frame system with a weight between the two systems,basically a bang proof carbonfiber bike,if people are interested in seeing these products on the market,ill need sponsers,not partners or investors,im actually a 42 year locksmith and can answer all those curious questions about bike theft,ive checked all major locks for years,also my kids bike lock weighs just one pound sooos youy can use three of them for the weight of brand x,whos up to helping me? im david at addaproducts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any lock can be defeated as Photon Freak so well pointed out, and be defeated with rather common small tools! For the real stealthy approach, lock picking is slowly catching on as well, and picking makes the thief look like he's having a little difficulty with his key.

A determined thief will get your bike, sorry but that's the way it is. The best deterrent is to buy a used clunker or a Walmart bike and take that places where theft has been a problem, and lock it up instead of your nice bike. If you look long enough you can find really nice used bikes for under $250 that will be very reliable and in very good condition.

And this video show just how much people care about your bike being stolen: bike thief - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

pick proof locks

thanks +for the look,i holding the bolt cutter proof lock now ,it stops the new battery powered bolt cutters with the carbide jaws,but they cost 25hundred each,available from lockmasters,the best pick resistant lock ive tested is the tubar from chicago lock,it has a case hardened front,anti drill too and the chinese pagoda is good,the videx uses no key,is computer operated in a vend cylinder.sooos it never picks.my bike lock has an armor guard like a coin washer to stop picking ,but mostly grinding, remember diamond wont cut a wet stick and grinders dont like lead,so my lock does stop grinding.the balance is to stop theft from one or two tools.i prefer a trike for better balance for me.the lock picks work poorly anyway,not like tv,cylinders are mostly drilled or ground,david

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm having a difficult time understanding what you are saying. Lock picking has become all the rage in Europe with even contests going on for the title of best lock picker. I have a friend that can pick any lock he's come across, obviously he hasn't come across all the locks in the world, but for the mass majority sold here in the US he can undo.

As far as a cut proof lock do you have a web site for such a lock for bicycles? $2,500 is just stupid for a lock like that to be on any bike unless it's a Harley or some such motorcycle. And the Tubar doesn't make a lock for bicycles so that point is useless in this discussion. And the Videx Cyberlock sells only a pad lock with an easy to cut shackle, so picking isn't necessary to defeat it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Too bad you are not allowed to booby trap the bike. Time delayed no code bike blows. LOL What a sad state of so called humanity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
    Too bad you are not allowed to booby trap the bike. Time delayed no code bike blows. LOL What a sad state of so called humanity.
    To bad we can't booby trap a bike, problem is if a innocent bystander is affected by the booby trap then we're in trouble, even if no is affected we're still in trouble, even if only the thief is affected we're in trouble. But that would make the life of a thief more of a challenge.

Maybe not blow up a bike, but with steel bikes anyway you could electrically charge the frame, but that's illegal too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    just my acquard syntax,theelectro battery boltcutters cost 2500 each,the lock is ready for production at about 100 bucks or less,a decent key cylinder cost 35 dollars,greenwald makes them for washer and dryers for the coin boxes,and the laundrys manage to keep the money,the system must have a cylinder guard to prevent drilling and grinding,vend cylinders in the whole world use the "nama" spec either 3/4 inch or 19 mm considered interchangable plus the length,sooos if padlocks ,bicycle locks were designed around these specs and had a removable cylinder,you could chpse your level,abus ,granite i think uses the abloy pick rersistant cylinder,also available as a vend cyl,not linely to pick,but easy to drill,sooos they use a cylinder guard,tyhese are hundred dollar boat anchors,tubar is a vend cylinder,fits any of my prototypes,for the one pound lock,i like combicam or tech,combo for 10 bucks a cylinder,fit all my products,i make key locking beer faucet locks,david

RoadBikeReview Member
    You make no sense whatsoever! The Abloy is indeed pick resistant...did you get the meaning of pick resistant? Abloy doesn't say it's pick proof, my friend can pick those locks blind folded. The reason vending machines and the such that use those locks don't get picked is because the professional thief isn't going to waste his time doing such a thing to get such a small reward for his efforts. The average vending machine only makes a dollar a day! Just how much change do you think is going to be one of those on any given day? And then the change is automatically recycled as change is given and taken. Sure high traffic areas will take in up to $250 a day but those machines are inside cafeterias etc where theft would be non existent. In secluded places those machines are put behind gates to prevent a thief from gaining access while no one is around.

And you don't need a $2500 battery powered bolt cutter when a $130 battery powered Dremel tool will work just as good and be a lot more discrete then a bolt cutter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    thanks for the candid opinion,froze you are dead on and accurate,appreciate this as i need to address the actual needs of real users of which i am not qualified.i do have a model design to specifically stop the grinders,the large dewalt,i did tests,it doesnt cut with the trick wheels,but protecting the key cylinder is as you stated,is a problem,i personally use my milualkee die grinder for lockouts,takes 10 minuts,but im neet and dont damage the ride,if you have any wants ,just post ,iwant to address the real needs here,david

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem is, assuming this is even technologically possible, if someone were able to make a bicycle lock that would be cut, saw, grinder, freeze, and pick PROOF, the darn lock would be cost more then most bikes on the market! So we have to accept some weaknesses in order to buy a lock that is more down to earth in price. In reality this whole thing has an easy fix...don't lock up a real nice bike someplace where you can't see it! Buy a junker bike or a Walmart bike to lock up in places where you can't watch the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    The problem is, assuming this is even technologically possible, if someone were able to make a bicycle lock that would be cut, saw, grinder, freeze, and pick PROOF, the darn lock would be cost more then most bikes on the market! So we have to accept some weaknesses in order to buy a lock that is more down to earth in price. In reality this whole thing has an easy fix...don't lock up a real nice bike someplace where you can't see it! Buy a junker bike or a Walmart bike to lock up in places where you can't watch the bike.
    Better idea. The same thing I use, which is two products.
    http://<a href="http://www.halfords....65752#tab3</a>
    and
    http://<a href="http://www.halfords....yId_165752</a>
    The first link is a screamer, and the second link is a chain. Theives will be able to break the chain, probably with some ease if they have the required tools. However, they will not and do not expect the second act of security, which is the screamer lock. Also, trust me. 110 decibels? I can hear it on the opposite side of a busy supermarket, let alone on the street or in a garage. Also, as a brake disk lock, they push it? it doesn't go anywhere. They try and ride it? it doesn't go anywhere.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Master Lock stuff made with boron alloy are very very tough. Much stronger than the regular "hardened steel"
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    masters a joke,check the pop mech test(april)one miniut with a battery grinder----i have the no cut lock and the schackle doesnt cut with a torch,,2.5 lbs under a hundred bucks,
    this is really a motorcycle lock but many roadbikes are are worth more-im filing the provisional patent now,im all set up for production,just need feedback---i have the design for the uncuttable flex type lock,same specs---my lock is one tenth the weight of a lock and chain ,costs less and doesnt cut with any conventional tool--what more would anyone expect--i hope the bike delivery services will be interested,david

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by addaman View Post
    masters a joke,check the pop mech test(april)one miniut with a battery grinder----i have the no cut lock and the schackle doesnt cut with a torch,,2.5 lbs under a hundred bucks,
    this is really a motorcycle lock but many roadbikes are are worth more-im filing the provisional patent now,im all set up for production,just need feedback---i have the design for the uncuttable flex type lock,same specs---my lock is one tenth the weight of a lock and chain ,costs less and doesnt cut with any conventional tool--what more would anyone expect--i hope the bike delivery services will be interested,david

Okay, I'll bite.

Please tell me more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    not much more to tellthe expected production run should be 4-6 months,1 bb kide model,2,5 m/c and good bikes,5 lb,7/8 inch dia schackle(harley lock),,first burgler bars and gates,also torchproof-to generate funds--these are searchwarrent proof sooos you need to give all enforcement and fire a copy of your key,not dog the bounty hunter,pot shops are everywhere in silicon valley and break ins constant---the products will be displayed at the local flea mkt,sooos people can bring their own grinders and torches ,same for bike shows--ive got many more products,keep asking,david

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast